Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hanoi vs. Ho Chi Minh City in March

Old Aug 21, 2003, 2:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau

I'm planning a trip to Vietnam next March, and I'm trying to figure out if I should do Hanoi vs. Ho Chi Minh City. I've heard that Hanoi offers a better overall experience, but the weather in March is worse than Ho Chi Minh's. Does anyone have March travel experience with one or both cities, and which of the two would you recommend for a 4-night visit?

------------------
All those who fly Continental Airlines, raise your hands.
The rest of you, raise your standards.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:44 am

Not exactly on point, but I just returned from 3 weeks in Viet Nam- summer travel- The food in Hanoi is wonderful- with beautifully appointed restaurants .
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:17 pm

I've visited both and Hanoi was my favorite by far. There is plenty to see in the city itself and there are some great day trips outside of the city. The Sofitel Metropole is one of my favorite hotels in Asia.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:48 pm

Avek,

My wife and I spent 3 days in SGN this past March. Really loved the city and wished we had planned more time there.

My only complaint was that it was *REALLY* hot.

Would love to go to Hanoi on my next trip to Asia.

Keba
Old Sep 5, 2003, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
By most accounts, HAN offers at least a slightly better overall experience than SGN. However, I believe that HAN's inferior weather (relative to SGN) might cause the overall experience to be worse, as rain and fog definitely put a damper on things, IMHO.

------------------
Continental Airlines - One airline CAN make a difference.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:41 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Or in April?

Resurrecting this thread as I'm considering a trip to VN in April on UA (which flies to SGN via HKG) as a sort of semi-mileage run (UA has a promo in April I've qualified for). I've never been and obviously SGN would be the obvious choice since UA flies there, but I'm willing to trek up to HAN if it's worth the trip. For someone who has never been, would you recommend SGN or HAN for 2-3 days? Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:46 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
You might want to check out this month's Hemispheres magazine. Their Three Perfect Days series is on SGN. It gave enough good ideas that it convinced me to plan a trip. I think you can get the story online if you haven't got a Hemispheres for this month.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Resurrecting this thread as I'm considering a trip to VN in April on UA (which flies to SGN via HKG) as a sort of semi-mileage run (UA has a promo in April I've qualified for). I've never been and obviously SGN would be the obvious choice since UA flies there, but I'm willing to trek up to HAN if it's worth the trip. For someone who has never been, would you recommend SGN or HAN for 2-3 days? Thanks.
Well, both are interesting, but if you want to travel within Vietnam, and have only 2-3 days, then I would suggest the area of Hue/Hoi An. Very scenic, good food, lots to do/see, great nightlife (in Hoi An), and closer to SGN than HAN (you would fly into Danang). Good beaches in Hoi An, too. Or you could do a day in SGN to see the sights, and then do Nha Thrang for a beach resort type vacation.

HAN weather should be a lot more pleasant than anywhere else, since it is cooler than in the rest of the country (where you will roast).
Old Jan 10, 2005, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by letiole
You might want to check out this month's Hemispheres magazine. Their Three Perfect Days series is on SGN. It gave enough good ideas that it convinced me to plan a trip. I think you can get the story online if you haven't got a Hemispheres for this month.
That's where I got the idea. And with UA's flight there, I can rack up some miles in April with the double miles promo.

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by chtiet
Well, both are interesting, but if you want to travel within Vietnam, and have only 2-3 days, then I would suggest the area of Hue/Hoi An. Very scenic, good food, lots to do/see, great nightlife (in Hoi An), and closer to SGN than HAN (you would fly into Danang). Good beaches in Hoi An, too. Or you could do a day in SGN to see the sights, and then do Nha Thrang for a beach resort type vacation.

HAN weather should be a lot more pleasant than anywhere else, since it is cooler than in the rest of the country (where you will roast).
I don't mind the heat as it's cold here (well, actually pretty mild this week in NC) and I'm already missing the warmth we just experienced in BKK. Not really a beach guy; prefer to eat my way through countries and I love Vietnamese food.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:25 pm
Suspended

I absolutely LOVE Saigon and you can easily fill 3 days there simply eating and shopping. I would agree with others here (and pretty much everywhere) that the scenery in Hanoi is better (simply walking around Hoa Kiem lake can easily fill an afternoon), but I find the people in Saigon much friendlier. Plus, if you're going to Hanoi, the "can't miss" attraction is Halong Bay. If you've only got 2 or 3 days (including travel from SGN), that would pretty much shoot the entire trip. Save the trip to Hanoi for when you have more time.

Best of all, if you are trying to make this a true maximizing mileage run, you could leave home with $100 in your pocket, eat and sleep for 3 days in Vietnam, and still have at least $50 in your pocket when you leave (with the possible exception of VISA fees and departure taxes).
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
That's where I got the idea. And with UA's flight there, I can rack up some miles in April with the double miles promo.

Thanks!
Wow, I guess that magazine really works. Me and my wife are talking about an April or October trip as well after reading it and being reminded of UA's new service to Vietnam.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Go to Saigon :)

I agree with chtiet - if you only have 2-3 days in Vietnam and are flying into Saigon, stick to Saigon. If you do choose Hanoi, the flying time to Hanoi is 2 hours and since you land in Saigon late at night on UA, the next flight out is the next morning. I'm not sure about airport hotels in Saigon but the nice hotels are in the city center which is 30mins away.

We just left Vietnam after spending 10 days there and I liked all the places we went to (Saigon, Danang/Hue/Hoi An, Hanoi) but since it's winter, I preferred the warmth in Saigon (80s) over the cold in Hanoi (50s!). The restaurants in Hanoi are better (although I like the Pho in Saigon better) but Saigon has better shopping. Saigon has great sights and a compact city center to wander around plus great day trips to the Cu Chi tunnels, Mekong Delta, etc. That'll keep you busy for 3 days at least.

Although the Three Perfect Days thingie recommended the Caravelle Hotel, if you have SPG status, I can assure you that the Sheraton immediately next door is very nice and quite luxurious; with river-facing rooms having the best views. The breakfast is also incredible. The location, like the Caravelle, is unbeatable. In addition to the restaurants recommended, I would also recommend Nam Phan (beautiful) and Hoi An (very traditional and lovely). I definitely second the suggestion to dine at Temple Club and Pho 24, and get drinks at Q Bar. In addition, Level 23 (in the Sheraton) is far higher up than Saigon Saigon although the view will be the same from your room.

If you are hyper-sensitive to pollution (which I am), take extra precautions in Vietnam - the air is dusty and dirty due to fumes from the 5mn (!!) or so motorcycles coursing through the city's streets. If walking around in the heat is not your thing, car with driver can be had for $20/day and a guide for that much more.

And yes, the dollar goes a loooooong way in Vietnam. Shopping is fantastic - from the markets (dirty, chaotic but dirt cheap!) to the fabulous stores around Dong Khoi. The urge to spend is strong in Saigon. Saigon has definitely embraced capitalism and is marching towards becoming the next Bangkok, IMO. Nonetheless, be prepared for Third World ambience (pollution, filthy streets, tepid service) and don't expect too much

You'll love it!

I don't mind the heat as it's cold here (well, actually pretty mild this week in NC) and I'm already missing the warmth we just experienced in BKK. Not really a beach guy; prefer to eat my way through countries and I love Vietnamese food.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:33 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Others have mentioned the weather, but just to emphasize the point: SGN in April is really, really hot. April is one of the hottest months (if not the hottest month) of the year for this region, and there's not even any relief in the form of rain. It's really, really hot, and you should at least figure that into your plans.

- Michael
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:44 pm

how about in late may/early june?? I am most likely going to be booking my award trip to Vietnam for about 2 weeks , and it looked like both Saigon and Hanoi were rainy, while the central coast was dry/pleasant- obviously SGN or HAN is the gateway, and was deliberating if I should do the North/Middle country this trip or South/Middle??? Any suggestions for what weather is better/worse!!!??? THANKS!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.