Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Yangon and Myanmar Hotel Recommendations Sought

Old May 6, 12, 9:34 am

I would give another vote to Governor's Residence. I haven't been there (yet) but you know what you get with OE and it isn't government owned. True luxury, with tours bookable with the hotel.

If Governor's Residence is out of the price range, then Traders is a nice 4 star alternative, again with international standards of hospitality and cleanliness.
Old Jul 9, 12, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Arcticbull appears to have liked the Mother Land Inn II and it looks to be a bit off the beaten path so I'm going for that one!

His trip report with pictures.

Hotel website.
Old Jul 18, 12, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I noticed that various German negotiator sites have the Parkroyal (#5 hotel in town based on Tripadvisor) and Kandawgyi Palace available with heavy discounts.
I am leaning towards the Kandawgyi (#4 hotel in town) as it's available for $63 before discounts (weg.de via qipu.de offers another 13-20 Euro off).
The hotel website is asking for $250++ per night.
Should you find a website offering a deluxe instead of superior room go for it as it includes club access and airport transfers for cheap.
Old Jul 18, 12, 6:40 pm

I stayed in the May Shan (fine) and the Seasons of Yangon (avoid).

May Shan - Fine. I was in a window room at 49/night, windowless rooms are cheaper at 35 or 39. Breakfast was standard toast, eggs, tea and bananas. The location is good, it's great to be able to tell a cabbie "Su le" and have them immediately go to the right place. Staff was helpful, internet was okay. AC was fine. Laundry was $0.80 per piece.

Negatives: Room was a bit musky, internet wasn't great, bad exchange rate offered (although there is a currency exchange with great rates half block north.)

Seasons of Yangon (no relation) - $35 per night. If you ar egetting the early flight to Bagan, I'd suggest paying the extra 15 and staying in the other airport hotel (Myanmar Life hotel?). See negatives. A stone's throw from the airport. Internet was $2 per hour on an ancient laptop. Staff were helpful, AC was ice cold.

Negatives: bed had cat hair in it. Or at least I'm hoping to god it was cat hair. Internet wasn't great.

I also stayed in Bagan and Tuangoo, I can post reviews if requested.
Old Jul 18, 12, 7:46 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by El_Duderito View Post
I noticed that various German negotiator sites have the Parkroyal (#5 hotel in town based on Tripadvisor) and Kandawgyi Palace available .
Hi, if you can get the Kandawawgi Palace it is beautiful, unless you want to be in the heart of town near the market, then the Parkroyal is for you. They are very good prices, I paid triple that only a week ago. I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I was paying under $50 in Myanmar, they will sting you one way or another, even the Govenors Residence changed prices on me mid booking last month. The problem is it is no longer a buyers market, you cannot get into a cab and go to another hote, it more than likely will be booked

Last edited by BKKROP; Jul 19, 12 at 11:29 pm
Old Jul 19, 12, 8:17 pm

Luxury Link still has a good deal going on for Governor's Residence in Yangon.
Old Sep 3, 12, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post
Luxury Link still has a good deal going on for Governor's Residence in Yangon.
Seems to be gone..
Old Sep 3, 12, 9:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
East Hotel Review

I am on my way back from a three night stay at the East Hotel, which I booked for $180 incl breakfast on one of those voucher Asia booking sites.

The hotel is across from Traders with a ped bridge as the only access across the road between the two hotels.

Room is large, if spartan in its furnishings. Bed is comfy. Twelve channel on a nice flatscreen, incl CNN and kbs. Wall-mount AC works well to cool the room. WiFi fine in the lobby, but weak and intermittent in the room.

On first arrival, the cleaning solution that the maids use is a bit overpowering at first, but mostly goes away. General dampness of Yangon coupled with the in-room shower causes some mustyness that may be objectionable to some. I did not care, though.

Shower temperature is tepid, which is the single thing that I disliked most.

Staff is responsive and caring. Immediately, resolved two minor issues that were my fault.

Would stay there again. Location is excellent to Yangon sites and attractions, and at one-third the price of Traders.

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 3, 12 at 9:31 pm
Old Sep 5, 12, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
Originally Posted by El_Duderito View Post
I noticed that various German negotiator sites have the Parkroyal (#5 hotel in town based on Tripadvisor) and Kandawgyi Palace available with heavy discounts.
I am leaning towards the Kandawgyi (#4 hotel in town) as it's available for $63 before discounts (weg.de via qipu.de offers another 13-20 Euro off).
The hotel website is asking for $250++ per night.
Should you find a website offering a deluxe instead of superior room go for it as it includes club access and airport transfers for cheap.
I just sent El_Duderito a private message, but I'll ask the forum too. I want to book the deal on weg.de ... for the Parkroyal ..... but my German is very weak. I can't find a way to translate the site to English. Can anyone suggest ideas on getting this done? Am I missing a button for English?
Old Sep 6, 12, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SE
Can anyone who has been to RGN comment on the Grand Palace Hotel?
No reviews on Tripadvisor or Agoda!
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 6, 12, 1:59 pm

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Mike1625 View Post
I just sent El_Duderito a private message, but I'll ask the forum too. I want to book the deal on weg.de ... for the Parkroyal ..... but my German is very weak. I can't find a way to translate the site to English. Can anyone suggest ideas on getting this done? Am I missing a button for English?
http://www.weg.de/hotel/parkroyal-yangon-1073

mit Flug = with flight
ohne Flug = without flight
früheste anreise = earliest possible arrival date
späteste rückreise = latest possible departure date
reisedauer = period of stay
beliebig = no criterium
tag(e) = day(s)
woche(n) = week(s)
exakt wie angegeben = precise dates as indicated
reisende = number of travellers
erwachsene = adults
kind = child
Old Sep 8, 12, 7:36 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond

Was able to book one of the ex-RGN fares for $86 this past round so my wife and daughter are going to be traveling with me. Will be there in late April. I think we are only going to stay one night in RGN only because our daughter is still only 3 and it's going to be hot. If she was a little older I would consider going to Bagan but that will have to wait until another trip. Thinking about staying at GR or Strand.
Old Sep 17, 12, 3:23 am

Programs: LH
I am quite experienced when it comes to backpacking in Asia. However I seemed to have underestimated to influx of tourists to Myanmar as of lately.

Is it wise to book ahead? If yes, can that be done through the usual booking sites by now?

What about domestic flights?
Old Sep 19, 12, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by flo-e View Post
I am quite experienced when it comes to backpacking in Asia. However I seemed to have underestimated to influx of tourists to Myanmar as of lately.

Is it wise to book ahead? If yes, can that be done through the usual booking sites by now?

What about domestic flights?
I want to throw a ditto into this. going to be there at the beginning of October. flights to yangon seemed to be pretty empty on air asia, though this may be due to people not choosing to pay for a seat up front?
Old Sep 19, 12, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I believe Mike has the hotel part sorted out already and if anybody else needs help feel free to PM me.
I'll be there in a few weeks and if I should check for specific things just let me know in the next weeks.

Note: I booked through TUI and received paper vouchers in the mail for the hotel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: