Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Jakarta (CGK) - the ultimate Q&A thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I'd do with Grand Hyatt, although if you want to spend a bit more the Keraton ( SPG/Marriott) is also attached to Plaza Indonesia.
Many, many decent dining options in the mall and in the hotels.

The Sheraton Gandaria is pretty nice, and offers great Plat benefits, but very little in the vicinity, and the dining options in the
mall, although plentiful, are more fast food/cheaper type restaurants.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:28 pm

Thank you both for your replies!

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ve never heard the traffic circle/monument by the GH called that. Normally, the mall there, Plaza Indonesia, is normally identified.

All three hotels are in/near big malls. I’m familar with the area around the Hyatt. It’s nice, but I consider the Hyatt to be a bit past it’s prime, considering the prices they’re charging.

I actually like the Doubletree a bit more. Prices are usually 40-50% less, and it has a nice layout. No bars/pubs other than the restaurants the hotel has, but taxis and Grab are pretty cheap.
Never been, so just went by what google maps told me. Good to know I won't call it that =) Thanks for pointing at the Doubletree

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I'd do with Grand Hyatt, although if you want to spend a bit more the Keraton ( SPG/Marriott) is also attached to Plaza Indonesia.
Many, many decent dining options in the mall and in the hotels.

The Sheraton Gandaria is pretty nice, and offers great Plat benefits, but very little in the vicinity, and the dining options in the
mall, although plentiful, are more fast food/cheaper type restaurants.
Sheraton won't be my first choice then. Keraton has very limited benefits for Plats and since we're looking to make use of the facilities it's not on the list this time.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've just been thrown a slight curve ball by a friend being stuck and unable to meet me in Jakarta due to his company imposing a Lion Air ban. I'll probably need a driver & English speaking guide for half a day on Sunday (this Sunday!). Anyone have any recommendation?

My bahasa's ok, but I need a pick up / return to hotel and some assistance in locating a grave (!) in a cemetary in Jakarta. Reason I think a guide might be of assistance is in translating with whomever is the caretaker of the cemetary. It's quite large, and I don't fancy wondering around it for hours when I have a flight later that afternoon! Any recommendations
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I've just been thrown a slight curve ball by a friend being stuck and unable to meet me in Jakarta due to his company imposing a Lion Air ban. I'll probably need a driver & English speaking guide for half a day on Sunday (this Sunday!). Anyone have any recommendation?

My bahasa's ok, but I need a pick up / return to hotel and some assistance in locating a grave (!) in a cemetary in Jakarta. Reason I think a guide might be of assistance is in translating with whomever is the caretaker of the cemetary. It's quite large, and I don't fancy wondering around it for hours when I have a flight later that afternoon! Any recommendations
sorry seeing this too late. I hope you were ok?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by gpia
Hello CGK experts,

first timer to Jakarta, with three nights in November. For various reasons, we are expecting to spend more time than usual in and around our hotel during our visit. I am looking to find the best location to do so.

To make the best use of status benefits, our curent hotel choices are

1) JW Marriott/Westin, both next to Kuningan Shopping Mall
2) Grand Hyatt, next to Selamat Datang Monument
3) Sheraton Grand, next to Gandaria Mall

While opinions on the hotels itself are of course also appreciated, I am more interested in learning about the surrounding areas. We are essentially looking for restaurants and especially pubs/bars (not night clubs or discos!) within safe walking distance to these places. We like to sit and talk for lengthy periods of time, but are not looking for a party. Is any of these areas better than the other? Or is there a different area altogether that would be recommended - would certainly consider ditching the Marriott options in that case.

TIA for any input!
I do not know if you have arrived in Jakarta or decided.

It is really depend on where is your "main" business is. In general, Sheraton Grand Gandaria may not be a good choice unless your main business is in South Jakarta, Pondok Indah area.

JW Marriott and Westin are quite distance apart. Well not too far, but traffic can be terrible. I will avoid JW Marriott as even it is "next" to Lotte, it is a bit too far (and unsafe?) to walk and too near to take a taxi going there and you need to make U turn (with quite nasty traffic) for the return.

Also JW Marriott is quite old. Unless you are Mariott Elite, I do not see reason why should be JW. If budget is not an issue, Raffles should be much better choice as it is connected to the mall.

Westin in general is good. Rather new hotel and you can walk to Pasar Festival for local food. Kota Casablance is not too far away and reasonable ride by taxi. But I feel the elevator to lobby at 52F is rather slow.

Out of those choice, I prefer Grand Hyatt, as it is connected to Plaza Indonesia and you can cross the road to Grand Indonesia and walkable (and ok distance for taxi.grab) to Sabang to try local culinary at night.

Why don't you try the Hermitage? I found the location is very quiet and peaceful and the roof top is amazing to see the Jakarta sky line.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101
sorry seeing this too late. I hope you were ok?
I was, thank you. Another friend who lives in CGK came and met me.

I did the airport train, all of me and about 3 other people. It was great. I may throw together a qucik trip report for future reference when I return!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:10 am

I was, thank you. Another friend who lives in CGK came and met me.

I did the airport train, all of me and about 3 other people. It was great. I may throw together a qucik trip report for future reference when I return!
Unless it is big jam, I do not think the train is faster option right and it is not cheap. How much is the ticket now? 75K? 4 of you then you may as well take cab or grab
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:40 pm

I stayed at the All Seasons Thamrin as next to BCI Sudirman Station 2 minute walk or so. 1h05 from hotel to T3 and 70k.

Many years since I did it that quick not middle of night and very pleasant!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:59 pm

I stayed at the All Seasons Thamrin as next to BCI Sudirman Station 2 minute walk or so. 1h05 from hotel to T3 and 70k.

Many years since I did it that quick not middle of night and very pleasant!

Ah if you stay at All Season yes, it is very near
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:08 pm

anyone tried the capsule hotel at terminal 3?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
departure tax

The need to pay cash departure tax disappeared quite some time back: seems like something in the distant past!
Anyone help me with when things changed?

I thought it odd to get a note from my hotel that there was no longer a tax to pay at the airport ....
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The need to pay cash departure tax disappeared quite some time back: seems like something in the distant past!
Anyone help me with when things changed?

I thought it odd to get a note from my hotel that there was no longer a tax to pay at the airport ....
I think it’s been 2-3 years since the tax was included in tickets. I know for the first 6 months, some carriers hadn’t included it, so you had to pay those at the airport.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
But they still have the booth to scan and check it was paid.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hello all. Does CGK not allow online boarding passes in general for transfers, or is it airline specific?

In particular, I'm interested in whether either CX or UL online boarding passes are acceptable. I know there is a transfer desk at Terminal 2, but have heard differing accounts of its reliability, and would have a fairly tight connection.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by SFU? NFW!
Hello all. Does CGK not allow online boarding passes in general for transfers, or is it airline specific?

In particular, I'm interested in whether either CX or UL online boarding passes are acceptable. I know there is a transfer desk at Terminal 2, but have heard differing accounts of its reliability, and would have a fairly tight connection.
in my experience, it's okay as long as you're able to produce the printed BP after OLCI (A4 paper is good enough).

Last edited by blueferrari; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:18 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.