Wiki Posts
Search

Is Tokyo interesting for tourists?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2001, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Is Tokyo interesting for tourists?

Somewhat of a lame question, I know, but you really don't hear people talk about Tokyo as a leisure destination.

I have the opportunity to spend a week there on leisure with my wife; we've never been to that side of the world and I know it'll be interesting to see just how different things are. My question is -- is there enough for a whole week there to do in leisure?

And please, no suggestion for alternate destinations.. I can *only* go here if I go at all.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
I spent 10 days in Tokyo in late September/early October a few years back. This was purely a leisure trip and I had a GREAT time. Your question is very broad, though. I like cities, I like architecture, I like trying new foods and experiencing other cultures. Tokyo was fascinating on all fronts. I think there is plenty to do for a week. I'm actually planning a second trip.

I know this is a very general response. Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Normally, I would advise that if this was your first trip to Asia, and not for business, you should consider any one of at least 100 other destinations before Tokyo. However, given that there is an opportunity, and that there are no alternatives, and lacking additional info about the situation, I'd encourage you to go.

I've never been to Japan for a vacation, nor would I go. However, I have been there dozens and dozens of times on business, and when I think back about my scattered leisure activities, I do believe that it would be possible to piece enough together to manufacture an enjoyable week.

Clearly, Tokyo is in the heap of world-class cities, and there is a tremendous amount that you can do in and around town. After a couple of days of city-touring, you will probably decide to check out the countryside, which is popular among the locals. Transportation to areas that offer all the 100% classic Japanese misty mountain views, meandering streams and forests will not be a problem. Maybe return a day later to a Japanese onsen.

Just the exposure to the different culture will make it a memorable trip. Go and have fun.

Old Jul 18, 2001, 10:06 pm

Not sure what you would be interested in but I would say there are plenty of things to do and see in Tokyo alone and if that is not enough, you can take a day trip to Kamakura, an ancient capital, Nikko, and Hakone. Giving a few days to Kyoto would also be nice.

Don't come until the summer ends. It's extremely hot and humid, hotter than BKK and SIN now. If you like heat, then it's best to come in August or even early Sept.

Oct and Nov or April and May are quite nice.
Old Jul 25, 2001, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
I'd strongly recommend going.

Two guidebooks I'd suggest are "Tokyo City Guide" and "Gateway to Japan"

If you're more describe your interests, I (and I'm sure many others here) can make specific suggestions.
Old Aug 29, 2001, 4:04 pm

Perhaps those in the know can offer some advice for us. We're planning to go to Tokyo in mid-April for a week (after a week in Singapore).

I've already lined up a GLON stay at the Hilton Tokyo Bay next to Disneyland. So that at least takes care of the interests of my six-year old Cochinitito for a couple of days La Cochinita is a die-hard bargain hunter and enjoys shopping for cosmetics (Shiseido is a favorite...is it cheaper in Japan compared to the USA?) and clothing. And I'd like to see some countryside, perhaps a day trip to a town with an interesting temple or museum.

I looked at a map and it seems simple enough to get to the main Tokyo rail station from where we'll be staying. After that, I could use some ideas!
Old Aug 29, 2001, 8:51 pm

In my business trips to Japan I always plan an extra day or two in Tokyo before going home. There are some really amazing sites and areas to visit within the city. A day trip or two outside the city is very convenient by bullet train. In 2 hours you can get to a lot of different locations. (I love the bullet trains!)

One of my favorite things to do in Tokyo is looking for Jazz CD's that are not available in the US market. Some classic stuff you can't find here.
Old Aug 30, 2001, 3:25 am

Tokyo is not exactly an inexpensive city. Unless you have done meticulous planning, a week's stay can really add up. having said that; It is great food and sight seeing place.

El Cochinito: Cosmetics in Tokyo are not really as cheap as say NYC. It's a wash, La Cochinito will probably have to hunt for a bargain - But then for some the hunt-for-a-deal is important too. What is cheap though are cultured pearls.
Old Aug 30, 2001, 7:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by akhullar:
El Cochinito: Cosmetics in Tokyo are not really as cheap as say NYC. It's a wash, La Cochinito will probably have to hunt for a bargain - But then for some the hunt-for-a-deal is important too. What is cheap though are cultured pearls.</font>
Regarding cosmetics in Japan, the best part is that you can purchase items that aren't sold elsewhere (or at least not in the U.S.). Shiseido and Shu Uemura are found worldwide, but brands like Kanebo and Kose are uncommon in the US. Every time I head over to Asia, I take orders from friends/relatives.. I guess some of the stuff they make is really high quality and unique.

Hmm, I'm not sure what exactly is less expensive in Japan. Try looking at electronics -- there are plenty of gadgets that never make their way across the Pacific.. or when they do, it's a few years later.
Old Aug 30, 2001, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by izzik:
Try looking at electronics -- there are plenty of gadgets that never make their way across the Pacific.. or when they do, it's a few years later.</font>
Yes, just make your way to the Aki Habara district, and you will be impressed with the array of gadgets, as well as some very reasonably priced mainline products (e.g. still/video cameras, computers, audio/video recorders/players).

Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:19 am

Yes, definitely go! Japan has a reputation for being expensive but it does not need to be. Staying in upmarket hotels (ie the Hilton), using lots of taxis because the local transport system is 'too complicated' and eating out restricted to recognised foreign food outlets is a quick way to empty your wallet. Local hotels that are used to foreigners, local restaurants where the Japanese family eat and the comprehensive metro system that is dead easy to use sees the expenses dropping to manageable proportions and is a load of fun too. You won't have to sacrifice your standards nor your safety and you will enjoy Japan even more.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: most of them
How did a 15 year old thread get resurrected?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by gbs1112
Yes, definitely go! Japan has a reputation for being expensive but it does not need to be. Staying in upmarket hotels (ie the Hilton), using lots of taxis because the local transport system is 'too complicated' and eating out restricted to recognised foreign food outlets is a quick way to empty your wallet. Local hotels that are used to foreigners, local restaurants where the Japanese family eat and the comprehensive metro system that is dead easy to use sees the expenses dropping to manageable proportions and is a load of fun too. You won't have to sacrifice your standards nor your safety and you will enjoy Japan even more.
Yes, Taxi is expensive as are some hotels, but sometimes the Hilton is a good deal (cheaper than Singapore or Hawaii at times). Also there are various rail/transit passes that reduce transport costs!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I once had an unplanned day in Japan thanks to an aircraft repositioning issue, back when I flew occasionally as an air courier. That meant two nights at the Hotel Centraza in Narita were on the courier company rather than one (lots of airline people also stayed at the hotel).

I tried to make the best of it by taking the cheap, multi-stop JR train into Tokyo. Saw the Asakusa Kannon shrine and ate lunch in Harajuku in a restaurant made to look like the inside of a Mongolian ger. No English nowhere there, so I just pointed to something to order off the menu. Also walked around the Ginza a lot, ate at some new fast-food concept (silver-dollar sized piece of salmon on a rice puck), and saw an act of a kabuki play. I think I also waled around the Narita-san gardens after getting back.

There's lots of novelty in some of it for a westerner. Vending machines selling beer, pachinko places, Japanese gardens, etc. It'd be an interesting country to see for a week or two.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I spent a 7 day vacation in only Tokyo a few years ago. Love that city!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.