FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   What has changed in Kuala Lumpur in the past year? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/2144977-what-has-changed-kuala-lumpur-past-year.html)

miuk Dec 27, 2023 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 35845992)
I'm in KL for 24 hours next month. Any suggestions for a great Malaysian restaurant?
I have a dinner rez at Beta KL one night, looking for a lunch resto suggestion. Thanks.

If you really want to go local (no AC, chaotic), i highly recommend this: https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/kua...t/wong-mei-kee

The roasted pork belly is divine. It's a must visit for me every time i'm back.

ElaineWChatman Dec 27, 2023 7:12 pm

I wouldn't say Times Square has really improved much since you were there last January. It still feels a bit tired and empty on the upper floors like you said. That said, I think it's worth popping into just for the food court on the bottom floors - always lots of good local eats to be found down there. And it's conveniently located if you're in that part of town. But definitely not somewhere I'd spend much time browsing the shops.

lsquare Dec 27, 2023 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by ElaineWChatman (Post 35854449)
I wouldn't say Times Square has really improved much since you were there last January. It still feels a bit tired and empty on the upper floors like you said. That said, I think it's worth popping into just for the food court on the bottom floors - always lots of good local eats to be found down there. And it's conveniently located if you're in that part of town. But definitely not somewhere I'd spend much time browsing the shops.

It's nice that there is a monorail station right next to the mall, but the mall is like dead after you get to the upper floors. I still think Bukit Bintang has the best shopping and food.

lsquare Jan 4, 2024 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 35846465)
The underground and southern sector of the Putrajaya line opened only in March of this year. A geeky bit of knowledge I possess simply because i lucked on the new transport link in its first days of operation. Since then I've been a fan. It's certainly not the fastest way to get to KL Sentral, but if you are going elsewhere in the city it can be a wash with KLIA Express + LRT/Monorali/taxi. My targets are usually Ampang Park or Titiwangsa. Apart from the low fare, the other attractions are a relatively seamless transfer between lines at Putrajaya (it helps if you are cash-free enabled), and near certainty of getting a seat.

The interchanges on the line work well, though Ampang Park is a pain as the LRT station is completely separate and the transfer between it and the MRT is a messy walk and a fresh ticket/tap in. Titiwangsa enjoys what might be the only ticket-integrated interchange between the ancient monorail and LRT/MRT.

As for malls, the city still offers older and grittier shopping centres which host interesting services and retailers who could never hope to get established in the shininess of the Pavilions. Sadly the leader of this pack, the quirky and wonderful Ampang Park mall, was sacrificed for the eponymous MRT station.

nov11

I'm still not sure why you mentioned these two stations, but I'm staying at the HGI at Chow Kit. I have an 11 PM flight tonight. I guess I want to go in the opposite direction back to KUL. So what do I do exactly to get from the HGI/Chow Kit monorail back to KUL using your method? How long should I expect for the journey?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

goodgirl

Is the Pavilion not near a MRT station? According to Google Maps, I'll have to walk for 26 minutes from Awan Besar.

goodgirl Jan 4, 2024 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35877656)
goodgirl

Is the Pavilion not near a MRT station? According to Google Maps, I'll have to walk for 26 minutes from Awan Besar.

I did not look at public transport in KL at all because I was using Grab and I'm generally not familiar with public transport in KL, so I can only copy you what the Hyatt website lists for transportation:

Awan Besar LRT Station: 1.9 km / 6-minute drive

Bukit Jalil LRT Station: 4.6 km / 7-minute drive

Google maps shows the walk from Awan Besar LRT Station to the Hyatt Place as 1.3km and 19 min. It's usually an estimate for slow walkers so maybe you could reach the closest mall entrance in 15 minutes. Just a guess though. Google maps shows the distance to the main entrance, but the mall is big and almost starts at the Hyatt Place so you could be inside the mall faster by using an entrance closer to the Hyatt.

IAN-UK Jan 5, 2024 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 35877656)
nov11

I'm still not sure why you mentioned these two stations, but I'm staying at the HGI at Chow Kit. I have an 11 PM flight tonight. I guess I want to go in the opposite direction back to KUL. So what do I do exactly to get from the HGI/Chow Kit monorail back to KUL using your method? How long should I expect for the journey?

Take the monorail from Chow Kit to Titiwangsa, transfer there to the MRT for Putrajaya where you can connect to the KLIA Transit. It's not the quickest way to get to the airport but it's the cheapest, and perfectly comfortable.

SFO777 Jan 12, 2024 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by nov11 (Post 35847872)
Let us go how it goes. I have only been there for dinner so I don't know if they have a different lunch menu. Other more upscale suggestions include De.Wan 1958 (the Linc is probably closest to GH KL) and Bijan :)

Had a great day in KL this past Wednesday. Did the touristy Ronda-Ronda KL Hop On Hop Off. Had a late lunch at Bijan which was good but not memorable. Then touristy bar hopping in the evening starting with Marini's 57 and ending at Vertigo atop the Banyan Tree. The highlight was a wonderful dinner at BetaKL, a true Michelin star restaurant. Delicious and creative food and drink.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...aa76b3c0c.jpeg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b030071fd.jpeg

pennywern Feb 21, 2024 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 35846465)
Titiwangsa enjoys what might be the only ticket-integrated interchange between the ancient monorail and LRT/MRT.

What about Hang Tuah?

nov11 Feb 21, 2024 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by pennywern (Post 36019320)
What about Hang Tuah?

Integrated (no tap-in / tap-out).

Speaking of the monorail, it's actually a great and useful line. It goes through many central commercial areas around town. Problem is it's an ancient monorail running every 10 minutes. And replacing it with a MRT isn't on the agenda for now or the near future.

pennywern Feb 28, 2024 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by nov11 (Post 36019777)
Integrated (no tap-in / tap-out).

Since they built the connector a few years ago you don't have to tap in/out to transfer at Hang Tuah. I do it all the time.

. If you go down the escalator from the photo's vantage point you end up in the paid area of the Sri Petaling/Ampang line station (
). And if you go up the stairs you end up on the monorail platform.

But yes, the monorail's headways have gotten worse; that sort of came in exchange for putting on 2-car trains instead of the former insanely cramped 1-car ones.

IAN-UK Mar 4, 2024 6:59 am

Originally Posted by pennywern (Post 36019320)
What about Hang Tuah?

I'm a Huang Tuah virgin :)

IAN-UK Mar 4, 2024 7:04 am

Originally Posted by nov11 (Post 36019777)

Speaking of the monorail, it's actually a great and useful line. It goes through many central commercial areas around town. Problem is it's an ancient monorail running every 10 minutes. And replacing it with a MRT isn't on the agenda for now or the near future.

I certainly can be useful: but service intervals quoted on the platform gizmo can stretch credibility. Last week the system broke down on me twice :eek:

nov11 Mar 7, 2024 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 36051008)
Last week the system broke down on me twice :eek:

Monorail is the least comfortable / reliable transit in KL other than buses. I try to avoid it as much as possible. You can get to most places without the monorail other than the stretch between Sheraton Imperial all the way to Titiwangsa (through Chow Kit).

merohitjain101 Mar 9, 2024 3:39 am

Of course! Kuala Lumpur has experienced a number of changes in the last year. Several shopping and dining options can be found at the recently opened Pavilion Bukit Jalil and Mitsui Outlet Park. Jalan Alor and Lot 10 Hutong are still well-known for their street cuisine, but you can also check out new stands in places like Taman Connaught Night Market or Imbi Market. Transit expansion has advanced with the LRT3 project and the MRT Line 2 extension to Putrajaya, improving connectivity. In terms of sightseeing, sites such as the KL Eco Forest Park and the Merdeka 118 Tower provide novel experiences that are well worth discovering. Have fun returning to Kuala Lumpur!

nov11 Mar 10, 2024 4:32 am

In terms of sightseeing, sites such as the KL Eco Forest Park and the Merdeka 118 Tower provide novel experiences that are well worth discovering. Have fun returning to Kuala Lumpur![/QUOTE]

Merdeka 118 is not open to public yet (still under construction especially on the interiors). But the exterior of it looks done. The most recent mall opening would be The Exchange at TRX 106.