Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Good 4* hotel in Kuala Lumpur

Good 4* hotel in Kuala Lumpur

Old Jul 22, 2023, 10:20 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On a plane
Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 649
Good 4* hotel in Kuala Lumpur

I have been through numerous threads but they seem rather focused at the luxury end... When looking at the chain threads a lot of posters seem very critical of a lot of the HGIs, Doubletrees, Movenpicks, Four Points etc...

I only need a minimum 4* hotel in KL to bring a delegation of 10 to attend a conference/training.

The hotel should have:

- Good reviews
- Should be part of an international chain
- A conference room suitable for training that can seat at least 10
- A decent breakfast
- Should be located in a nice area ideally with a decent mall within walking distance
- Should ideally be located near the Metro so I can take the delegates out to downtown/Petronas Towers area for a nice meal one night
- Should be no more than 45 mins from KUL by taxi as I have to take the delegates there one day during the training
- Should have a mosque nearby or prayer room in hotel

I have status with Hilton, Marriott, Radisson, IHG and Accor but few of the delegates will have any status so I am not bothered/swayed by brand/chain.

Any recommendations to investigate further would be appreciated.
cargueiro is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:48 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 16,883
Originally Posted by cargueiro
I have been through numerous threads but they seem rather focused at the luxury end... When looking at the chain threads a lot of posters seem very critical of a lot of the HGIs, Doubletrees, Movenpicks, Four Points etc...

I only need a minimum 4* hotel in KL to bring a delegation of 10 to attend a conference/training.

The hotel should have:

- Good reviews
- Should be part of an international chain
- A conference room suitable for training that can seat at least 10
- A decent breakfast
- Should be located in a nice area ideally with a decent mall within walking distance
- Should ideally be located near the Metro so I can take the delegates out to downtown/Petronas Towers area for a nice meal one night
- Should be no more than 45 mins from KUL by taxi as I have to take the delegates there one day during the training
- Should have a mosque nearby or prayer room in hotel

I have status with Hilton, Marriott, Radisson, IHG and Accor but few of the delegates will have any status so I am not bothered/swayed by brand/chain.

Any recommendations to investigate further would be appreciated.
february

From IHG there's are new central hotels opening: a Crowne Plaza and an Indigo. The Indigo is particularly well located, but I'm not sure Indigos are big on meeting spaces. Both hotels are hopelessly delayed in opening: the CP promises to be online by February, the Indigo in March. The IC isn't overboard in terms of room rates and it's in a good position for transport and KLCC/Petronus

There are two Hiltons, the one in Petaling Jaya is the best value but not at all central. The central Hilton is well located by Sentral station, but could bust your budget if your dates aren't auspicious. The Doubletree is a solid option, part of a (small) mall, close to metro (LRT and MRT) and a 15 minute walk from the Petronus towers.

...so that's IHG and Hilton done!
cargueiro likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:31 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia City Highlands
Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Posts: 6,878
Originally Posted by cargueiro
- Should be no more than 45 mins from KUL by taxi as I have to take the delegates there one day during the training
If the above requirement is regardless time of the day, then your only option is to stay at a hotel at the airport. Because sometimes trip to the airport can turn into 2h ordeal via car.
Or you can use KLIA Express.
lsquare and cargueiro like this.
invisible is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:43 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,700
Originally Posted by invisible
If the above requirement is regardless time of the day, then your only option is to stay at a hotel at the airport. Because sometimes trip to the airport can turn into 2h ordeal via car.
Or you can use KLIA Express.
IMO, that's the only reliable option.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
february

From IHG there's are new central hotels opening: a Crowne Plaza and an Indigo. The Indigo is particularly well located, but I'm not sure Indigos are big on meeting spaces. Both hotels are hopelessly delayed in opening: the CP promises to be online by February, the Indigo in March. The IC isn't overboard in terms of room rates and it's in a good position for transport and KLCC/Petronus

There are two Hiltons, the one in Petaling Jaya is the best value but not at all central. The central Hilton is well located by Sentral station, but could bust your budget if your dates aren't auspicious. The Doubletree is a solid option, part of a (small) mall, close to metro (LRT and MRT) and a 15 minute walk from the Petronus towers.

...so that's IHG and Hilton done!
​​​​​​​Why do you say that?
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:41 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 16,883
Originally Posted by lsquare
IMO, that's the only reliable option.
I think our invisible friend maybe had his tongue in his cheek, pointing out the difficulty of conflicting priorities.

Traffic between the airport and the city can be vicious, but the rush hours are (largely) predictable. Outside those times it would be best to budget an hour and hope for something less. And I guess the conference organisers would eventually organise something like a mini-bus to transport delegates, rather than a fleet of taxis.


But, sure, if < 45 minutes is an inflexible, absolute condition, then central KL is out as a reliable option. Maybe Putrajaya/Cyberjaya would be an option.




Originally Posted by lsquare
Why do you say that?
Say what? (it was a long post!)
cargueiro likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Jul 24, 2023 at 4:46 am
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:43 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,700
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I think our invisible friend maybe had his tongue in his cheek, pointing out the difficulty of conflicting priorities.

Traffic between the airport and the city can be vicious, but the rush hours are (largely) predictable. Outside those times it would be best to budget an hour and hope for something less.
I guess the conference organisers would eventually organise something like a mini-bus to transport delegates, rather than a fleet of taxis.



Say what? (it was a long post!)
Oops, I meant to bold "the one in Petaling Jaya is the best value."
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:24 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 16,883
Originally Posted by lsquare
Oops, I meant to bold "the one in Petaling Jaya is the best value."
because it's a nice hotel and inexpensive. Not as flash, or in as good a location as the other (central) Hilton, but it's a lot cheaper in cash or points.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:43 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,700
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
because it's a nice hotel and inexpensive. Not as flash, or in as good a location as the other (central) Hilton, but it's a lot cheaper in cash or points.
Do you mean Hilton Petaling Jaya? I just did a quick search and in general, it's only about RM100 cheaper. I have stayed at the Hilton KL and I like it.
lsquare is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:46 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Posts: 16,883
Originally Posted by lsquare
Do you mean Hilton Petaling Jaya? I just did a quick search and in general, it's only about RM100 cheaper. I have stayed at the Hilton KL and I like it.
Sure, if you like the Hilton KL and you're happy with price then it's clearly the hotel for you.

Neither hotel is expensive in terms of Hilton-world. For my next stay they run at 72 at PJ vs 95 at KL. In points they're 20K vs 38K *.

Hilton PJ has seen something of a price hike post-covid, and redemption rates have doubled from 10K to 20K



* I'm staying at neither
lsquare likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:04 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: On a plane
Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 649
Thanks all.

I am liking the Doubletree for my / our needs.
cargueiro is offline  
Old Jul 31, 2023, 9:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The KUL city
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Posts: 2,630
Originally Posted by cargueiro
I have been through numerous threads but they seem rather focused at the luxury end... When looking at the chain threads a lot of posters seem very critical of a lot of the HGIs, Doubletrees, Movenpicks, Four Points etc...

I only need a minimum 4* hotel in KL to bring a delegation of 10 to attend a conference/training.

The hotel should have:

- Good reviews
- Should be part of an international chain
- A conference room suitable for training that can seat at least 10
- A decent breakfast
- Should be located in a nice area ideally with a decent mall within walking distance
- Should ideally be located near the Metro so I can take the delegates out to downtown/Petronas Towers area for a nice meal one night
- Should be no more than 45 mins from KUL by taxi as I have to take the delegates there one day during the training
- Should have a mosque nearby or prayer room in hotel

I have status with Hilton, Marriott, Radisson, IHG and Accor but few of the delegates will have any status so I am not bothered/swayed by brand/chain.

Any recommendations to investigate further would be appreciated.
Have you considered Four Points Chinatown? Somewhat accessible although there isn't a mall closeby but you have lots of local/tourist shops closeby (unless you are here when Merdeka 118 is opened). You should be able to get to the hotel in less than 45 minutes from the airport.

Take the express train from airport to KL Sentral and swap to the Kelana LRT or Kajang MRT line (1 stop) to Pasar Seni and you can walk 5 minutes from station to hotel (Kajang line slightly closer to the airport train and also to 4P but both works).. If you are traveling from KL city to airport in the morning, it should be fine using a taxi as traffic you are going against traffic flow but I'd take the train back in the evening.
nov11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.