Wiki Posts
Search

24hrs in the Maldives?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 5:56 am
formerly JackDann
Original Poster

24hrs in the Maldives?

I'm visiting family in Thailand in January and at present, the most economical way of getting there is using a 2-4-1 to MLE and then take an onward flight to Bangkok on Air Asia (Unfortunately I missed out on flights to SIN which was a much better route).

I have two options if doing this route, one would be to stick around Male airport for 3 hours and then catch the 4 hour flight to Bangkok - My other option is to spend a day night in the Maldives and catch a flight the following morning.

I feel like the latter option is preferred for me as it gives 24hrs downtime after the nice long-haul flight and it'd make the flight the following day slightly more tolerable.

My question here is though, is there realistically anywhere worth going for 24hrs whilst we transit? I have no interest whatsoever in spending a day in Male, so am wondering if there are any other Islands close by - also happy to hear that this is a stupid idea and I should just fly direct to Bangkok in economy for the same price!
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by JD1905
I'm visiting family in Thailand in January and at present, the most economical way of getting there is using a 2-4-1 to MLE and then take an onward flight to Bangkok on Air Asia (Unfortunately I missed out on flights to SIN which was a much better route).

I have two options if doing this route, one would be to stick around Male airport for 3 hours and then catch the 4 hour flight to Bangkok - My other option is to spend a day night in the Maldives and catch a flight the following morning.

I feel like the latter option is preferred for me as it gives 24hrs downtime after the nice long-haul flight and it'd make the flight the following day slightly more tolerable.

My question here is though, is there realistically anywhere worth going for 24hrs whilst we transit? I have no interest whatsoever in spending a day in Male, so am wondering if there are any other Islands close by - also happy to hear that this is a stupid idea and I should just fly direct to Bangkok in economy for the same price!
It depends on what you mean by spending a day in Male? There is Hulu Male, that is adjacent to the airport and connected by a causeway. It is a bigger island than Male and not so congested and have a nice beach too. Or you could take a ferry ride of about 10 mins to Villigilhi that is adjacent to Male island. This island is much more laid back and has very limited vehicles and also a nice beach.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JD1905

There are also a number of resorts (of varying price and service) within a 30-60 min boat ride of the airport. It might be a tease to only spend one night at a resort, but it would give you a real chance to relax and unwind after a long flight.
JD1905 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.