Reload this Page >

No reopening date for Bhutan; daily tourism tax to increae

Old Jun 23, 22, 11:51 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Received today from a local tourist agency:

Bhutan government did not still announce tourism reopening, but instead they decided to make policy changes, which will make travel to Bhutan more expensive for international tourists. They increased tourism tax from 65 USD to 200 USD per person per day. Total increase by 135 USD per person per day.
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Why stop on $200. Better make it $2000, in this case for sure no one will come.

Just a side note what Bhutan is - a friend of mine, Standford PhD, was doing 2 months project in Bhutan helping local government/NGOs. She said that a number of times when she has been interacting with locals, these families asked her to take one or two of their kids with her to America so they can have a better future. This woman has been in a number of countries, and Bhutan was the only place where she got such a request.
Old Jun 23, 22, 5:01 pm

I thought the daily tourist rate to visit Bhutan was already $200-250 per person? What's this increase then.
Old Jun 23, 22, 6:26 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
I thought the daily tourist rate to visit Bhutan was already $200-250 per person? What's this increase then.
I am a novice at this, but a bit of digging shows you are correct re the $200 - $250 per person per day fee, depending on the month. More digging shows that $65 of that is for a sustainable development fee. The proposal is to take that fee to $200. I guess - but do not know - that will drive the $200-250 fee up an additional $135 per person per day.
Old Yesterday, 1:47 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

From Bhutan travel agent:

Five days quarantine required while traveling to Bhutan is now shortened to 24 hours provided that person gets negative PCR test result from the swab conducted on the point of entry to Bhutan. New rule starts to be valid from 4th July 2022 onwards.
Old Yesterday, 2:51 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
This woman has been in a number of countries, and Bhutan was the only place where she got such a request.
With due respect to your friend, she doesn't seem to have traveled much [to countries where people wish they could send their kids to the US for a 'better life'].

Search this Thread