Wiki Posts
Search

Sri Lankan rupee devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2022, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Sri Lankan rupee devaluation

After a number of months hovering around 200 LKR / US$ the rate has moved with a couple of days to about 250 LKR / US$.
My friend living in a village is having difficulties with the food cost inflation.

But will it make for easier wandering
Fred
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:21 pm

How can one enjoy 'wandering' if one sees the locals struggling for food and daily necessities, daily power cuts and a government that has sold the country to China? Sad state of affairs in Ceylon today.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by puchong
How can one enjoy 'wandering' if one sees the locals struggling for food and daily necessities, daily power cuts and a government that has sold the country to China? Sad state of affairs in Ceylon today.
We were there in January. The government will be replaced, the current government is universally hated. China will also find out that having a piece of paper signed by a corrupt official saying they own something won't go too far when the population of the country decides to take it back. Sri Lanka is not the Solomon Islands, it would require a full scale invasion by China if they want to keep the current government in power.

Things will get better. But in the meantime spending your money there is probably the only thing most people can do to help.
QTFLYER and FlyingSloth like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by the188
We were there in January. The government will be replaced, the current government is universally hated. China will also find out that having a piece of paper signed by a corrupt official saying they own something won't go too far when the population of the country decides to take it back. Sri Lanka is not the Solomon Islands, it would require a full scale invasion by China if they want to keep the current government in power.

Things will get better. But in the meantime spending your money there is probably the only thing most people can do to help.
The Government, you mean the Prime Minister? Sri Lanka has an executive Presidency. Actually the whole mess was started by the last government where the President was from a different party and the PM was from a different party. So the President won't be replaced until the next election. The current PM is the cause of the problems now but it is almost impossible for him to be replaced now too though the situation is going from bad to worse.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
So are you suggesting that all foreign tourists boycott the country? Seems to me that the lack of tourism is one piece of this messed up puzzle.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by cayohueso
So are you suggesting that all foreign tourists boycott the country? Seems to me that the lack of tourism is one piece of this messed up puzzle.
Not at all; I merely said that one cannot enjoy a vacation if there is misery all around - no joie de vivre to infect the tourist. I know next to nothing about Sri Lankan politics, though having several executives from the same family cannot be much good. Plus they never realy sorted the Tamil-Sinhalese problem, but simply masked it up.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:56 am

Not at all; I merely said that one cannot enjoy a vacation if there is misery all around - no joie de vivre to infect the tourist. I know next to nothing about Sri Lankan politics, though having several executives from the same family cannot be much good. Plus they never realy sorted the Tamil-Sinhalese problem, but simply masked it up.
Agree that it is a mess there with one family. But it always has been the way since they got independence. It was the Covid that made things worse. Tourism was badly hit and then they did not open up when they should have. The Tamil - Sinhalese problem is never going to be sorted out because the Tamils themselves are of different backgrounds and so are the Sinhalese and also the Muslims. But it is for another forum maybe.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:45 am

Covid & falling tourism did not cause Sri Lanka’s debt to climb to 90%+ in 2019, which is nuts for a small developing country like Sri Lanka.

Covid did not cause the new government to then cut taxes by 30% in 2019. (Though, it did cause the already significantly-reduced incoming revenue stream to reduce further, but tourism is also only 12% of GDP.)

Covid did not cause the Central Bank to continue printing money over the past year+ instead of trying to refinance the debt, which has led to what is now hyperinflation.

Sorry, I know this is OMNI, but you can’t blame the current situation primarily on the pandemic and a slowdown of tourism dollars: this has been years in the making.

I too wish there was a concrete way to help those in Sri Lanka, but not sure parachuting tourists in to spend a couple of dollars on cheap hotels / food while competing with locals for staples is the way to go right now…
superboi likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Apr 1, 2022 at 10:15 am
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:06 pm

If you want to get a picture of what is going on, read this article from Bloomberg - it chronicles the sorry state of affairs pretty well, I think
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:00 am

If you want to get a picture of what is going on, read this article from Bloomberg - it chronicles the sorry state of affairs pretty well, I think
To be honest the state of affairs is very pathetic but I do not need to read an article from a western newspaper to know what is happening in Sri Lanka. I see it first hand and also from my relatives and friends there. It is a much more complicated than just economic mismanagement. No matter who the government is this state of affairs is going to continue for a long time.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:07 am

Now things may improve in Sri Lanka that the PM has resigned.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Now things may improve in Sri Lanka that the PM has resigned.
How I wish your optimism of three months ago was justified
wandering_fred likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Any feedback on how things are on the island now in September of 2022 ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.