Wiki Posts
Search

CMB: High Hotel room rates - low tourist arrivals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Freddorick
Recently stayed in the Shangri La (150 usd approx), the room was nice (received an upgrade to a 1bd suite). The room service lunch we ordered wasn’t great. For a short stay I would stay there again. Hilton in the city center looks quite dated which was the reason we skipped it.
Out of the lot of the 5-star hotels in the city, the Shangri-la would definitely be the newest .A Sheraton too should be opening or should have opened by now. Not too sure though.
The Hilton was definitively dated from my last stay there, but i think they've been renovating in stages & should be done by now.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:48 pm

Has the Kingsbury Colombo always been known as the Kingsbury or was it known by some other name in a previous incarnation?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by puchong
Has the Kingsbury Colombo always been known as the Kingsbury or was it known by some other name in a previous incarnation?
It was the Intercontinental earlier on. They have heavily refurbished it and I always felt it was value for money. Plus being on the beach side it was very pleasant.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
It was the Intercontinental earlier on. They have heavily refurbished it and I always felt it was value for money. Plus being on the beach side it was very pleasant.
Sadly i think over the coming years, they'd lose their beach front view to some extent with the Port city reclamation project that's mushrooming literally right in front of the hotel.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
Sadly i think over the coming years, they'd lose their beach front view to some extent with the Port city reclamation project that's mushrooming literally right in front of the hotel.
Yes true. They would lose a lot of it. It is one hotel I always enjoy staying as it was value for money. Before Covid they had a live band playing a lot of nights too. Hilton with their new design has lost its appeal and I always felt that Shangri La was over priced.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:18 am

Is the Kingsbury in Colombo a fairly new hotel or a new incarnation of an older hotel?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:35 am

Is the Kingsbury in Colombo a fairly new hotel or a new incarnation of an older hotel?
Reincarnation of Inter Continental Hotel. But they have intensively refurbished it and also redesigned it. The building is the old building of course.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:15 am

Ah thanks ... that explains it I have stayed there both while it was an IC and later when it was (I think) the Continental.

I was just thrown off by the photo on their web site, since I could not recognise that entrance!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:35 am

Ah thanks ... that explains it I have stayed there both while it was an IC and later when it was (I think) the Continental.

I was just thrown off by the photo on their web site, since I could not recognise that entrance!
Yes they completely changed the whole thing. Obviously InterCon was the first five star hotel in CMB I think and was there even in 1977.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Yes they completely changed the whole thing. Obviously InterCon was the first five star hotel in CMB I think and was there even in 1977.
Age wise, i think The Galle Face Hotel might be the oldest.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:00 am

Age wise, i think The Galle Face Hotel might be the oldest.
Yes I forgot about Galle Face and Mount Lavinia. But then since Inter Con opened they never really looked at Galle Face as a five star hotel. I know it is the old Colonial look and that sort of thing and I have stayed there a couple of times but never enjoyed it. But you are right it was probably the first major hotel in CMB.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Yes I forgot about Galle Face and Mount Lavinia. But then since Inter Con opened they never really looked at Galle Face as a five star hotel. I know it is the old Colonial look and that sort of thing and I have stayed there a couple of times but never enjoyed it. But you are right it was probably the first major hotel in CMB.
I think the Galle Face hotel went thru a major refurbishment about 5 years back or so. Seemed pretty good from a subsequent visit. But i guess the Colonial/ Heritage look doesn't appeal to all.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:05 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I think the Galle Face hotel went thru a major refurbishment about 5 years back or so. Seemed pretty good from a subsequent visit. But i guess the Colonial/ Heritage look doesn't appeal to all.
I have fond memories of the Verandah at the Galle Face hotel...met a nice Swiss woman who had also just come back from Kandy. We sipped some Ceylon tea, which enjoying a sunset view of the ocean. Afterwards, we walked next door to the Galle Face Green to have some delicious seafood fritters.

Curious to know what the renovations changed, as that visit was in 2008 (stayed at the Taj Samudra). In 2011, I was at a less interesting hotel somewhere nearby, but I'd like to revisit Serendib for its food scene, and to check out Sigiriya.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I have fond memories of the Verandah at the Galle Face hotel...met a nice Swiss woman who had also just come back from Kandy. We sipped some Ceylon tea, which enjoying a sunset view of the ocean. Afterwards, we walked next door to the Galle Face Green to have some delicious seafood fritters.

Curious to know what the renovations changed, as that visit was in 2008 (stayed at the Taj Samudra). In 2011, I was at a less interesting hotel somewhere nearby, but I'd like to revisit Serendib for its food scene, and to check out Sigiriya.
I think being an old structure it was more a case of an intensive renovation. Thankfully they didn't try and integrate or add on any new structures. I hadn't been to the hotel prior to the renovation and so wouldn't be the right one to comment on the before and after prognosis. But from my brief stay there, it definitely looked good, with the old school feel to it tastefully refurbished & maintained.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:49 pm

I think being an old structure it was more a case of an intensive renovation. Thankfully they didn't try and integrate or add on any new structures. I hadn't been to the hotel prior to the renovation and so wouldn't be the right one to comment on the before and after prognosis. But from my brief stay there, it definitely looked good, with the old school feel to it tastefully refurbished & maintained.
I think they did add some rooms to the old structure but still wood. The noise level from the buses on the road and the honking of the horns was the biggest issue for me. I mean they start running very early morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.