Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam/Cambodia Aug 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
Originally Posted by js1993
How are the onboard facilities? Thanks.
Quite satisfactory. There are food carts with snacks, instant foods and packaged meals. Two of the large stations on the way (Da Nang and Hué ) have shops selling food, drinks, clothes and slippers. The carriages themselves are clean and toilets well maintained. The views from the line are excellent.
js1993 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Kumar2013
Quite satisfactory. There are food carts with snacks, instant foods and packaged meals. Two of the large stations on the way (Da Nang and Hué ) have shops selling food, drinks, clothes and slippers. The carriages themselves are clean and toilets well maintained. The views from the line are excellent.
Great to hear. Thanks.

I've heard parts of that trip are spectacular, particularly near Da Nang and Hue, but didn't have time for train travel when I was there in 2019.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:52 pm

Great to hear. Thanks.

I've heard parts of that trip are spectacular, particularly near Da Nang and Hue, but didn't have time for train travel when I was there in 2019.

6-berth airconditioned class (there's a 4 berth also available)

Shops on the railway platform at Da Nang

One of the many food carts that rolled by within the carriage
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

Great pictures. I'm particularly fascinated by the 6 berth cabin. Thank you.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:09 pm

If your budget is ok, a private transfer from Hue to Danang or vice versa is better than train (Some hotspots on the way).
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by dinhoecotour
If your budget is ok, a private transfer from Hue to Danang or vice versa is better than train (Some hotspots on the way).
Hotspots?

Speaking of that route, what do all those roadside vendors sell? Seemed like jugs of some yellow liquid.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:44 pm

Hotspots?

Speaking of that route, what do all those roadside vendors sell? Seemed like jugs of some yellow liquid.
A better question is what do they not sell !

Sausages, fried chicken (without breadcrumbs), shrimp, dumplings, soup, ready to eat meals in bamboo baskets, packaged snacks, instant noodles, breads, local cakes, tea, soft drinks, its a long list. The carriages have a hot water dispenser which is commonly used for instant noodles and tea.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kumar2013
A better question is what do they not sell !

Sausages, fried chicken (without breadcrumbs), shrimp, dumplings, soup, ready to eat meals in bamboo baskets, packaged snacks, instant noodles, breads, local cakes, tea, soft drinks, its a long list. The carriages have a hot water dispenser which is commonly used for instant noodles and tea.
I don't remember all of that, but I must have seen 50 places selling those jugs of whatever it is.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:10 am

what do all those roadside vendors sell? Seemed like jugs of some yellow liquid.
It's gasoline.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's gasoline.
haha

No, the tour guide said it was some sort of local/regional product.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:07 pm

haha

No, the tour guide said it was some sort of local/regional product.
we have seen stands with jugs of yellow and tan liquid thru Vietnam and southeast Asia. What we have seen is fuel, predominantly for scooters and motorcycles
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:20 pm

we have seen stands with jugs of yellow and tan liquid thru Vietnam and southeast Asia. What we have seen is fuel, predominantly for scooters and motorcycles
This was one particular stretch between Da Nang and Hue.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:35 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

It's Bali, But ...

It's gasoline.

Reusing Absolut bottles to sell petrol
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:14 am

Hotspots?

I meant some highlighted sites such as Lang Co beach, Hai Van pass…
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:54 pm

Anyone been to Vietnam recently? Curious about both the Covid rules and Covid realities. For example, Thailand is supposedly wide open with no mask rules, but I've heard everyone is still wearing masks and expects everyone else to as well. Not interested in a Covid debate. Just have no interest in flying halfway around the world and then walking around in a mask in 90-degree weather. Thanks.
Just got back from a SE Asia trip that included Vietnam. While many people are wearing masks, and there are a couple of places that say you need to wear a mask (like the airport or some museums), there were a fair amount of people, with many tourists, not wearing masks. Even some police officers weren't wearing them anymore, so that wouldn't be too much of a concern.

Where the mask wearing is strong is Kuala Lumpur (didn't visit the rest of Malaysia to comment).
SanDiego1K and js1993 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.