Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Malaysia continues entry restrictions to end of 2020..

Old Aug 29, 20, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK

I guess it was inevitable, but Malaysia remains closed until 2021
Old Sep 2, 20, 3:55 am

Programs: SK *G
Could you supply a link for this? I see conflicting information on various sites.

Edit :https://www.malaysia.travel/alert
Looks like I will be rebooking the X-mas trip this year

Last edited by livious; Sep 2, 20 at 4:48 am
Old Sep 2, 20, 6:49 am

That sucks. I was hoping a trip later in the year might be possible.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
We were lucky to be there last Nov for 6 days. Great country and easy to get around.
Old Sep 9, 20, 4:04 am

Programs: Delta SM
What do we think about my flight to BKI on January 7 as a US tourist?
Old Sep 9, 20, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
Thaipusam

I visited KUL in 2019 and discovered a glorious celebration - Thaipusam. Just checked and its on Jan 28 next year!
Old Sep 9, 20, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos View Post
I am really hopeful that by January we will have good quick testing and some good therapeutics and that the world will largely open up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
I am really hopeful that by January we will have good quick testing and some good therapeutics and that the world will largely open up.
Sure hope so. They're always a bit weird about Sabah and Sarawak so I hope it's not just the mainland.
Old Sep 9, 20, 7:22 pm

It's difficult to make a call on January in October. The infection numbers have recently spiked up admittedly mainly in a detention centre. Nevertheless, there have been concerns in local media that infections are rising among front line workers, so it seems that they need to address their protocols.

Anyway, on your specific question. I think you may find you won't be allowed in. If you are a US tourist from the US (as opposed to a US tourist based outside the US), my suspicion is that you will be among the last who will be allowed in to Malaysia. There current standard is that the originating country must have fewer than 150,000 cases. Which the US clearly doesn't meet (along with India, UK, Brazil and Russia), so it seems for their own safety they will continue with that policy.
Now you can debate why it's not fair that a country with several hundred million has a low case count relative to population size, but that's just what they've decided.
Old Sep 10, 20, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
It's difficult to make a call on January in October. The infection numbers have recently spiked up admittedly mainly in a detention centre. Nevertheless, there have been concerns in local media that infections are rising among front line workers, so it seems that they need to address their protocols.

Anyway, on your specific question. I think you may find you won't be allowed in. If you are a US tourist from the US (as opposed to a US tourist based outside the US), my suspicion is that you will be among the last who will be allowed in to Malaysia. There current standard is that the originating country must have fewer than 150,000 cases. Which the US clearly doesn't meet (along with India, UK, Brazil and Russia), so it seems for their own safety they will continue with that policy.
Now you can debate why it's not fair that a country with several hundred million has a low case count relative to population size, but that's just what they've decided.
Perhaps I will get lucky, as I have permanent residence in the Netherlands. Although Europe may see a second wave timed with my flight as well...
Old Sep 10, 20, 6:14 pm

Perhaps I will get lucky, as I have permanent residence in the Netherlands. Although Europe may see a second wave timed with my flight as well...
You might get away with it. Though I read that winter is when the N hemisphere expects the infection rate to get worse.

I also want to get back to Malaysia!
Old Sep 10, 20, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
You might get away with it. Though I read that winter is when the N hemisphere expects the infection rate to get worse.

I also want to get back to Malaysia!
Make that three of us, along with Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, and just Asia in general. :-). But given that I only have a US passport I know that it will be awhile.
SQTraveller likes this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 11:31 pm

Absent a vaccine that you can get in time I would say you have zero chance of entering Malaysia on the 7th of January. They have continually pushed back the re-opening and I think that this trend will continue into 2021, especially to people from countries with large outbreaks. Even if they do open, they will open selectively to nearby countries (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, China) rather than let everyone back at once.
Old Sep 11, 20, 3:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
Absent a vaccine that you can get in time I would say you have zero chance of entering Malaysia on the 7th of January. They have continually pushed back the re-opening and I think that this trend will continue into 2021, especially to people from countries with large outbreaks. Even if they do open, they will open selectively to nearby countries (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, China) rather than let everyone back at once.
Based what I’ve on local forums/fb groups, borders will be closed well into 2021. They don’t allow even people having long term residency permits - employment, student, dependent pass holders to enter to the country.

PSA: Anyone planning to have hassle free travel in SEA countries - please check back after 2022, thank you.

Last edited by invisible; Sep 11, 20 at 7:55 pm
Old Sep 12, 20, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Based what Iíve on local forums/fb groups, borders will be closed well into 2021. They donít allow even people having long term residency permits - employment, student, dependent pass holders to enter to the country.

PSA: Anyone planning to have hassle free travel in SEA countries - please check back after 2022, thank you.
You are probably right 2022 at the earliest ...and 2022 will likely be optimistic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: