Wiki Posts
Search

Cambodia Travel Restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2020, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Cambodia Travel Restrictions

Does anyone know when Cambodia is opening to American travelers?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Does anyone know when Cambodia is opening to American travelers?
Probably soon...just be prepared to pony up a lot of cash
  • Visitors will have to make a $3,000 deposit upon arrival in the event that medical treatment is needed
  • Visitors to Cambodia will have to pay $5 to be taken by bus to a testing facility upon arrival
  • Visitors will then have to pay $100 for the RT-PCR test
  • Visitors will have to pay $30 to stay in the waiting area overnight, and will have to pay an additional $30 for three meals
  • If all the results come back negative, you still have to quarantine for 13 more days, but don't have to stay at a government facility
However, if even one person on a flight tests positive (including possible false positives):
  • All passengers will be required to quarantine for 14 days in a government designated facility
  • This will come at an all inclusive cost of $84 per day, so that will cost $1,176
  • An additional swab test will be required for $100
  • In the event of hospitalization, the cost will be $225 per day, plus up to an additional $400 for up to four swab tests
  • If visitors need to be cremated, that will cost $1,500, though it’s not known if this includes the cost of an urn
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by 1353513636
  • If visitors need to be cremated, that will cost $1,500, though it’s not known if this includes the cost of an urn

Not an option often seen in travel brochures

For smug individuals with comprehensive annual travel insurance, best to check the terms and conditions. Mine has clauses expressly excluding most things COVID-related for travel booked after March of this year.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
However country is opened if you can get visa in advance!
Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Wow. They are getting very strict. Makes you feel confident to visit.

I received a Facebook memory thing of a year ago and it was one of my pictures of the sunrise at Angkor Wat
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Still have my Cambodian visa for the trip I was suppose to take this year. Doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen, but does anyone think Cambodia will let up? The new restrictions they’ve placed on Americans entering doesn’t make much sense to me. Why open even at all with those ridiculously strict limitations and deposits?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Still have my Cambodian visa for the trip I was suppose to take this year. Doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen, but does anyone think Cambodia will let up? The new restrictions they’ve placed on Americans entering doesn’t make much sense to me. Why open even at all with those ridiculously strict limitations and deposits?
Probably to give "lovers" and close friends the possibility to see their loved ones...no way a tourist would put up with that but some people travel to see their loved ones but travel on tourist visas for various reasons (eg. non legally recognized civil union).
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Probably to give "lovers" and close friends the possibility to see their loved ones...no way a tourist would put up with that but some people travel to see their loved ones but travel on tourist visas for various reasons (eg. non legally recognized civil union).
Sure, there are an infinite number of reasons for travelling, other than purely discretionary leisure tourism, especially to a country with many sons and daughters among its diaspora scattered around the world. I imagine there are quite a number of Americans who share a Cambodian heritage.

As for onerous restrictions, countries that got an early handle on controlling the spread of C-19 are understandably nervous admitting visitors from other countries where the disease appears out of control.
rjh likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Any update to their policy? Or anyone have any experience with entering Cambodia during this time and the deposit? I’d actually be willing to do it if I knew I wouldn’t lose out on all the money.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Bump? I’m wondering about entering Cambodia and placing on this stuff on credit card to ensure nothing gets stolen.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 11:33 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
I’ve been tempted to go spend 1-3 months there. Not really bothered about the hoops to jump through either.

Unfortunately, when phoning the Cambodian embassy in London the say I would need evidence of work/study there as tourist visas are not currently allowed. If anyone finds different to this please share!
Old Nov 7, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PxC
I’ve been tempted to go spend 1-3 months there. Not really bothered about the hoops to jump through either.

Unfortunately, when phoning the Cambodian embassy in London the say I would need evidence of work/study there as tourist visas are not currently allowed. If anyone finds different to this please share!
Dunno if you have considered joining a Khmer course, or, indeed, whether language study merits a visa.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PxC

What if they issued you a tourist visa before Covid which they did to me in March just before the lockdown? They said it was valid for travel and entry anytime due to Covid.

Secondly, what I’m worried about is the cash deposit and getting that back. Their government isn’t exactly known for its transparency and efficiency. I have to imagine the cash deposit of 3k or 5k or whatever it is, won’t exactly be in totally safe hands. Is there a way to use a credit card? How can you be guaranteed to get the cash refunded to you? I too have wanted to go hang out in Cambodia.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by PxC

Find a visa agent there (e.g. on a local Facebook expat group) and I'm sure they can put you in touch with someone who can hire you for a no-show job if you cover your salary and a bit extra. Happens all the time. Alternatively, go learn Khmer, although it'll probably have to be at a major school to get you a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.