Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Day15 Curfew here in Galkissa Sri Lanka

Old Apr 7, 20, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

While being here since mid October of last year and due to have been back in Ohio, USA this coming Sunday, however things have sure changed as airport is closed UFN. We are just fine holed up in our CONDO on the Indian Ocean with ample supplies of fish, fruits and vegetables being offered forsale outside by allowed delivery vehicles. No its not free and it is quite pricey to purchase the good things that are offered. There also has a been a ban on alcohol sales for 15 days now but no problem as I had just bought 6 cases of Lion Lager the middle of March and picked up 8 bottles of tequila from the duty free when we returned from Indonesia from a side trip end of Feb for my birthday..They had lifted restriction to unlimited due to almost zero tourists entering Sri Lanka. We are not sure when we will be able to leave but no problem with us..
:D! and premilreallanka like this.
Old Apr 7, 20, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

View from rooftop of Condo over looking Indian Ocean under CURFEW Day 15
Old Apr 8, 20, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

I have never seen the skyline of Colombo so crystal clear and today the news said that electricity consumption is down almost 40%. Looks like there is a few positives in a curfew...
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:25 pm

Programs: Jet Privilege - Silver, IHG - Spire, HH - Diamond & a wallet full of other cards
Is your condo on or near Galle Road.. ? Nice view of the ocean.
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That empty pool looks so sad.
Old Apr 8, 20, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quarryking View Post
Is your condo on or near Galle Road.. ? Nice view of the ocean.

Very close to the Mount Lavinia Hotel on HOTEL ROAD... Galle road is up quite a ways...
Old Apr 8, 20, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
That empty pool looks so sad.
Well surely not going to pose in the pool for a picture.. We are so lucky as our small 15 condo complex and all are Sri Lankan Expats living abroad and retired and this is their get away. My wife and I and one other guy from the UK plus security and our maintenance guy are the only ones here... This pool sure comes in very nice every day while under lockdown/curfew...

Old Apr 9, 20, 2:31 am
Original Poster

wandering_fred likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 5:54 pm

Programs: most of them
good for you...but the current situation isn't so great for my friends in the tourism business
Old Apr 14, 20, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11 View Post
good for you...but the current situation isn't so great for my friends in the tourism business
No its very very bleak at the moment however I am sure it will pick right up and start to gather steam as it was starting to do after last years bombings... Oh I just love it here and if it was not for my kids and family back in Ohio, USA I would be here the entire year.. We usually stay for 6 months but looks like this time we are here until i can get a flight back to Detroit when airport reopens....We are just lucky to be able to hangout like this while under curfew..
Old Apr 14, 20, 2:25 am
Original Poster

This is day 22 in isolation/curfew here on The Emerald Isle and except for my wife not wanting to kill me now and then we are good. Plenty of food, beer and tons of sunshine..
Old Apr 14, 20, 2:35 am
Original Poster

today is the Singalese & Tamil New Year where these people are out and making the biggest bloody racket you can imagine but not a peep or sound from anyone as were under medical curfew..
Old Apr 22, 20, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Day 31 of the curfew/lockdown and the word is out that Monday the 27th of April curfew for the entire Island will be lifted from 0500am to 2000pm daily. Assessing the airport opening will be on 30th of April as it looks now... They have only reported 7 deaths to now....? hmmmm not sure.. Parliament elections are now scheduled for 20th of June even after government was advised against it by the health department....Weather is awesome and sure looking forward to Monday..

SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 25, 20, 12:31 am

Programs: Jet Privilege - Silver, IHG - Spire, HH - Diamond & a wallet full of other cards
Originally Posted by bulbmogul View Post
Day 31 of the curfew/lockdown and the word is out that Monday the 27th of April curfew for the entire Island will be lifted from 0500am to 2000pm daily. Assessing the airport opening will be on 30th of April as it looks now... They have only reported 7 deaths to now....? hmmmm not sure.. Parliament elections are now scheduled for 20th of June even after government was advised against it by the health department....Weather is awesome and sure looking forward to Monday..

Great View..!!
We're on Day 32 of a Lockdown here in neighboring MAA.
Old Apr 25, 20, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quarryking View Post
Great View..!!
We're on Day 32 of a Lockdown here in neighboring MAA.
Ours is finally being lifted island wide on Monday the 27th of April @ 0500am daily until 2000 hours then back to curfew over night. Sri Lankan Airline just extended there suspended flight service until now the 15th of May.. Ok we been here now 185 days and time to get back home to cut grass and see our family..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: