Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Maldives - Need Help getting back to US

Stuck in Maldives - Need Help getting back to US

Old Mar 23, 20, 12:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 727
Stuck in Maldives - Need Help getting back to US

Associate who lives in Maldives and lost job trying to get home but flights purchased on Expedia keep getting cancelled and he spent his last resources buying those flights.

Any suggestions on best way for him to get back to US would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
g8trgr8t is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 1:15 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,908
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
Associate who lives in Maldives and lost job trying to get home but flights purchased on Expedia keep getting cancelled and he spent his last resources buying those flights.

Any suggestions on best way for him to get back to US would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Getting to MLE was difficult at the best of times
MLE wikipedia entry, but airlines & destinations will not up to date---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velana...tional_Airport
https://macl.aero/

What did he/she have a ticket for?
Try TG?
SIN & HKG closed for transit passenger
EK not flying for ~2 weeks
Sleep on the beach?

Why anyone would book with an OTA at this time, and not direct with the airline is beyond me. Changes-complications and OTA's do not go together
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 3:40 pm
  #3  
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Posts: 12,200
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Ocn Vw 1K is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 5:29 pm
  #4  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,607
You can see flights currently arriving/departing Male on the airport site mentioned above, but there's nothing today that looks helpful.

Washington has been saying they'll help Americans stranded overseas, but obviously there are limits on that help. Are there enough Americans in the Maldives to merit sending a plane? Apparently the US "embassy" in the Maldives is actually located in Colombo. No harm in getting on some contact list there in case a flight out is arranged.

But nothing's going to happen very quickly. (Unlike Wuhan, folks stranded in Male probably aren't at great health risk at the moment, just really inconvenienced.)
889 is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:14 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: clue is in the nym
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Discovery Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold,
Posts: 265
Most of the Middle East is locked down for transit as well as entry so that's probably off the menu.

Might you still be able to get to Sri Lanka? Not sure about options from there but potentially direct to LHR with UL and take it from there?
southlondonphil is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:47 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 727
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for suggestions. I know my mate is checking in and reading them.
g8trgr8t is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:04 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 727
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
You can see flights currently arriving/departing Male on the airport site mentioned above, but there's nothing today that looks helpful.

Washington has been saying they'll help Americans stranded overseas, but obviously there are limits on that help. Are there enough Americans in the Maldives to merit sending a plane? Apparently the US "embassy" in the Maldives is actually located in Colombo. No harm in getting on some contact list there in case a flight out is arranged.

But nothing's going to happen very quickly. (Unlike Wuhan, folks stranded in Male probably aren't at great health risk at the moment, just really inconvenienced.)
Sorry but I must be missing the airport site mentioned above.
g8trgr8t is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:05 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,217
Either Qatar airlines can get you to the US. . Condor will get you to Frankfurt

Round Trip on Qatar is cheaper than a one way, even if you dont use the “return”.

returnoftheyeti is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:19 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,167
If you go through Germany you might not be able to go to other places.
s0ssos is offline  
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:44 pm
  #10  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,607
"Sorry but I must be missing the airport site mentioned above."

It's there in Post 2:

https://macl.aero/
889 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:57 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 590
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
If you go through Germany you might not be able to go to other places.
I believe the goal is to get home to the US - assuming the OP's friend is a citizen or permanent resident or falls under another exception, their transit in Germany or other "affected" places would not be relevant to being allowed entry.

Qatar via DOH to LHR and then one of the numerous options to the US would be what I'd be looking at. Follow the "main trunk" routes to reduce the chance of cancellation. Book directly, do not book with Expedia or any other OTA.
bobbytables is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 5:25 am
  #12  
889
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,607
When I said, there's "no harm" in registering with the State Department, I should have said, "and register with the State Department!" If an evacuation flight is arranged from the Maldives, they won't know you're there unless you tell them first.

Also, I'd look around and see if there are any other Americans stuck in Male. More people pressing for a flight increases the probability of some success.

Flights arranged by the US Government are not free: you have to pay, but you can pay later.
889 is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:13 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NW Ohio & Sri Lanka
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
When I said, there's "no harm" in registering with the State Department, I should have said, "and register with the State Department!" If an evacuation flight is arranged from the Maldives, they won't know you're there unless you tell them first.

Also, I'd look around and see if there are any other Americans stuck in Male. More people pressing for a flight increases the probability of some success.

Flights arranged by the US Government are not free: you have to pay, but you can pay later.
Not maldives but Sri lanka here since october and we also have had our flights canceled from CMB to DTW via Seoul. Luckily we own our own condo and just hunker down until the storm passes whenever.. Oh well..!
bulbmogul is offline  
Old Mar 24, 20, 7:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 5,384
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
We have a designated thread at Coronovirus forum for cases like this.
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 25, 20, 10:40 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 727
He finally got a flight on Aeroflot through Moscow to JFK leaving tomorrow (hopefully). Thank you for all the contributions.
g8trgr8t is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: