Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
I think it's unlikely. They'll reconsider the restrictions when they have to decide what to do with Computex, which was rescheduled to the end of September. Mid-June is too early for that so I wouldn't expect any change in the current policy by then.
That's too bad. I'm trying to get from Singapore back to Seattle in June, and the EVA flight SIN -> TPE -> SEA would be by far the best option.. better than the 16 hour flight to LAX, and then changing planes the next day. I hope that Taiwan will allow transit passengers. I wish they could just test people before they board the plane. I'm more than willing to undergo a test.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by treepuppy
That's too bad. I'm trying to get from Singapore back to Seattle in June, and the EVA flight SIN -> TPE -> SEA would be by far the best option.. better than the 16 hour flight to LAX, and then changing planes the next day. I hope that Taiwan will allow transit passengers. I wish they could just test people before they board the plane. I'm more than willing to undergo a test.
What would you do if the test is unexpectedly positive?
Old May 21, 2020, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now looking like possibly October before Taiwan opens back up for visitors:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3937453
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 7:33 am

I wrote this previously:
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
They'll reconsider the restrictions when they have to decide what to do with Computex, which was rescheduled to the end of September.
And, for the record, Computex has just been canceled this year completely, so there isn't any immediate incentive to consider relaxing the restrictions.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 9:27 am
Suspended

And the bicycle show and the machine tool show.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:06 am

Do you guys think there is any chance Taiwan will open up for transit passengers in July or sooner? With SIN and HKG open for transit for a couple weeks already, and HND and NRT operating normally for transit passengers, you would think that TPE would open up at some point? Or is Taiwan just content on leaving the entire country completely closed indefinitely through 2020?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Do you guys think there is any chance Taiwan will open up for transit passengers in July or sooner? With SIN and HKG open for transit for a couple weeks already, and HND and NRT operating normally for transit passengers, you would think that TPE would open up at some point? Or is Taiwan just content on leaving the entire country completely closed indefinitely through 2020?
I cannot really comment whether Taiwan will open for transit passengers in July or sooner, but highly unlikely based on the local government has been quite careful much like Australia and NZ.

I had also explored about transit options out of TPE but I have come to a conclusion that if Taiwan does open, it will likely to follow up the footsteps of HKG and SIN. Both HKG and SIN transits are highly restrictive and the scope of flights allow for transit is fairly narrow. I think it is better to recognize the limited the transit options are in HKG and SIN vs why Taiwan has not opened for transit.

Most of the flights operated in and out Taiwan are related to flights within the Greater China region, and with HKG ad SIN transits are not available to China, not sure of the cost/benefits of a very limited transit option would provide.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Do you guys think there is any chance Taiwan will open up for transit passengers in July or sooner?
In my opinion it's unlikely. August-September is the earliest I'd expect any changes.

TPE is not dependent on transfer passengers to the extent HKG or SIN are. I don't know how the airlines are doing but it seems they successfully converted a lot of their capacity to cargo, and there're also credit lines from the government available, so my understanding is that economic impact is not an immediate issue that would be forcing the reopening. Neither are the trade shows, which were canceled or rescheduled.

What could expedite reopening is either some new information about the virus becoming available, or - short of that - the example of the EU/EEA proving that it can be done safely but this can realistically be assesed towards the end of July at earliest.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:47 am

"August-September is the earliest I'd expect any changes."

Taipei is opening to transit passengers as of today, June 25.

But there are limits at present. Must be same-airline transit. Only China Airlines, EVA and Cathay flights permitted. Transit can't exceed eight hours. No transits to/from highly-infected areas in China.

But it's a start. And especially useful for people heading from HK and other Asian cities to the U.S. and vice versa.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...9KQ?typeid=158
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:00 am

Already being discussed in another thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-...0-00-00-a.html
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:44 am

But it makes a lot more sense to concentrate the discussion here rather than over on the EVA Frequent Flyer programme thread.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:34 pm

I'm now changing my flight plans to Taiwan fir transit next month. I'd love to hear any trip reports of what the "supervised" transit is like if anyone goes in the next few weeks!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by 889
But it makes a lot more sense to concentrate the discussion here rather than over on the EVA Frequent Flyer programme thread.
The thread topic isn't even about transits. Suggest creating a new thread or having mods retitle if this thread is really supposed to be a concentrated discussion about TPE transit policy.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: pleb
Latest update from 6/24, starting 6/29 Taiwan will allow certain non-tourists to apply for special permits and can enter if they test negative for CV-19 72 hours prior to boarding:

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5691-aa1c3-2.html
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1K
Has anyone applied for a special entry permit? What is the process like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.