Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
I wouldn't read too much into it. Taiwan tourism ads have been quite visible throughout COVID on SF Muni buses.

Yes. You are given two RAT (along with a saliva jar for PCR) when you pass through the swine flu checkpoint. In our recent experiences (n = 6, arrived mid/late July), nobody cared if you actually do the RAT before going out or if you stay overnight outside of your quarantine place. You can also go to most places and even dine at restaurants. It's effectively 3 + 0 in every way.

The government is mostly focusing on the midterm election in late November. Heck, even the dentist tyrant (former Minister of Health) has repeatedly apologized for the draconian measures he'd taken. Why? Because a lot of those measures were taken toward Taipei, where he's running for mayor now.

Given the election's timeframe, I would assume any dramatic change for foreigners would be unlikely before year end. On the other hand, I'd expect the measures for TW nationals become effectively nonexistent in the next month or two.
I don't believe foreigners and Taiwanese and their diaspora are treated the same already. I was assigned a line group, had to report my temperature twice a day the whole time, and when I wanted to go out during the +4 I had to take a picture of my negative home test and get an OK from the Foreign Police. They called me a few times as well but all easy peasy. Someone who arrived two weeks later, also a foreigner, only had to report his temperature once a day for three days and then "promise" to use his home test report before going out.

I think they are continually relaxing all these restrictions as infections are stable or coming down and there has been no strain on the medical system. They have actually done a good job measuring the efforts and cost for each step and what it is gaining them and if it is a big effort with little gain, it is dropped. Diametrically opposite approach as China.

This is why I think if the situation remains stable by end October most restrictiosn will be gone. Anyway, just my opinion.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj
I don't believe foreigners and Taiwanese and their diaspora are treated the same already. I was assigned a line group, had to report my temperature twice a day the whole time, and when I wanted to go out during the +4 I had to take a picture of my negative home test and get an OK from the Foreign Police. They called me a few times as well but all easy peasy. Someone who arrived two weeks later, also a foreigner, only had to report his temperature once a day for three days and then "promise" to use his home test report before going out.
As a "foreigner" who just went through the 3+4 in mid-July, my experience was that no Line group was used. During the first 3 days, they texted me a couple times to ask if I was feeling well, and I just needed to reply with a "1" to say yes. My wife (Taiwanese) was called by phone every day by the local neighborhood official to confirm she was feeling well. After the 3 days, no further contact was made.

During our 4 day "observation" period, we took our (provided) RATs on days 1 and 3, went grocery shopping, and went for a hike in the mountains. No one ever asked to see our neg tests.
uanj, lsquare and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I think they are continually relaxing all these restrictions as infections are stable or coming down and there has been no strain on the medical system. They have actually done a good job measuring the efforts and cost for each step and what it is gaining them and if it is a big effort with little gain, it is dropped. Diametrically opposite approach as China.

This is why I think if the situation remains stable by end October most restrictiosn will be gone. Anyway, just my opinion.
Originally Posted by Skyman65
As a "foreigner" who just went through the 3+4 in mid-July, my experience was that no Line group was used. During the first 3 days, they texted me a couple times to ask if I was feeling well, and I just needed to reply with a "1" to say yes. My wife (Taiwanese) was called by phone every day by the local neighborhood official to confirm she was feeling well. After the 3 days, no further contact was made.

During our 4 day "observation" period, we took our (provided) RATs on days 1 and 3, went grocery shopping, and went for a hike in the mountains. No one ever asked to see our neg tests.
What's the mask situation like?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
Masks are still required whenever you leave your home, with a few exceptions, including (not exhaustive):
  • while exercising (indoors & out)
  • participating in water sports, sauna, steam room
  • working outdoors
  • taking pictures
  • in your personal car
  • riding motorbike/bicycle
  • in the forest/mountains with few people around
  • while eating/drinking (of course)
While masks are no longer required while riding a motorbike, my personal observation is that 99% of motorbike riders here are still masked.
lsquare and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skyman65
masks are still required whenever you leave your home, with a few exceptions, including (not exhaustive):
  • while exercising (indoors & out)
  • participating in water sports, sauna, steam room
  • working outdoors
  • taking pictures
  • in your personal car
  • riding motorbike/bicycle
  • in the forest/mountains with few people around
  • while eating/drinking (of course)
while masks are no longer required while riding a motorbike, my personal observation is that 99% of motorbike riders here are still masked.
🤣🤣😂😂
EZjace likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:57 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Just a clarification: I think that most TRAVEL restrictions will be lifted by end October, would not be suprised, however, if masks are still required in many places.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a clarification: I think that most TRAVEL restrictions will be lifted by end October, would not be suprised, however, if masks are still required in many places.
Sounds like Singapore and I can live with that. I think most of us can live with that if that's what it'll take for Taiwan to open up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think what a lot of westerners don't really comprehend is how "not a big deal" masks are here. You might occasionally hear some mild complaints here and there, but by-and-large, few people here really have a problem with the mask requirements. So there's not a huge groundswell of support to relax the rules at this point.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think what a lot of westerners don't really comprehend is how "not a big deal" masks are here. You might occasionally hear some mild complaints here and there, but by-and-large, few people here really have a problem with the mask requirements. So there's not a huge groundswell of support to relax the rules at this point.
It's like Singapore. On my last trip, it seemed like most people were complying with the rule.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:38 pm

🤣🤣😂😂
lol also. That one item makes all the others pointless theatre.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:38 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Agree. It’s been such a wimp issue in the USA. Suddenly everyone had a “breathing problem” or a “freedom” issue. All while Asian countries used masking for years. Laughable.
estnet, Gerbs, ExpatExp and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:04 pm

Were you staying at quarantine hotels? Because the government puts most responsibility on quarantine hotels, when there are conflicting guidelines (mostly in the form of daily press releases), the hotels might choose the strictest. For example, hotels are required to report to the police if their guests did not return by midnight on day 4 - 7, but all the neighborhood officials would say about it is that "the geofence would be disabled by midnight on day 3."

Masks are still required whenever you leave your home, with a few exceptions, including (not exhaustive):
while exercising (indoors & out)
participating in water sports, sauna, steam room
working outdoors
taking pictures
in your personal car
riding motorbike/bicycle
in the forest/mountains with few people around
while eating/drinking (of course)
While masks are no longer required while riding a motorbike, my personal observation is that 99% of motorbike riders here are still masked.
Two other notable exceptions:
- taking a stroll *is* exercising (according to the new chief of the pandemic prevention center)
- karaoke was an exception until the media reported that it is exempted because karaoke is a favorite pastime of the dentist tyrant

I'm all for masking up while indoor, but allowing eating/drinking in places that otherwise would require masking is just plain idiotic. This also makes the MRT the safest places as no eating/drinking is allowed
​​​​​​
Gerbs and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

- taking a stroll *is* exercising (according to the new chief of the pandemic prevention center)

​​​​​​
Yes, but they were quick to point out that "shopping" (逛街) while strolling unmasked is verboten.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you staying at quarantine hotels? Because the government puts most responsibility on quarantine hotels, when there are conflicting guidelines (mostly in the form of daily press releases), the hotels might choose the strictest. For example, hotels are required to report to the police if their guests did not return by midnight on day 4 - 7, but all the neighborhood officials would say about it is that "the geofence would be disabled by midnight on day 3."

- karaoke was an exception until the media reported that it is exempted because karaoke is a favorite pastime of the dentist tyrant

I'm all for masking up while indoor, but allowing eating/drinking in places that otherwise would require masking is just plain idiotic. This also makes the MRT the safest places as no eating/drinking is allowed
​​​​​​
🤣🤣🤣

That's hilarious!
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:02 am

Yes, but they were quick to point out that "shopping" (逛街) while strolling unmasked is verboten.
Well because he got bombed on social media, which is the gold standard of Taiwan's approach to Covid

Must-win Wang (the new chief) said that "while strolling in the park, no mask is necessary because there is a lot of space. But when window shopping in a department store, mask is required because it is crowded. It all comes to the ability to maintain social distancing."

If only the TW CDC can use the ability to maintain social distancing as the basis of requiring mask from the start, like, based on science?
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.