Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ice Machine
The flights were originally BR a few months back but had been cancelled and rebooked a couple times so all on UA now, got in early with a good use of points for Polaris. I missed that the +4 wasn't self health management. I was already planning to stay at same location (our apartment not a hotel). From what I've been hearing unable to monitor whether others visit, can only monitor those in quarantine by the mobile tracking/texts but I do intend to follow the rules. My family did have the police show up once when my son took out the Taiwan sim card to replace with his U.S. one to check texts (his phone doesn't have dual) and neglected to replace. My wife also didn't answer a couple times so they called my oldest to track her down.
UA has been the most reliable for TPAC during the pandemic. I've only had one flight cancellation, and even though it was an NH award ticket, UA proactively put me on an alternative flight that didn't even have JN.

The quarantine hotels are being asked to notify the police if a passenger did not return in the next morning, so if you are quarantining in your own residence, it's unlikely that you'll be tracked during the "4" days.

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Airlines are the ones enforcing the quota (which is why UA/BR are now charging $2.5K for TPAC in Y), so you are already part of the quota when you booked your flight. Unless you are traveling on BR (which has shown a tendency of cancelling flights as they please for the past 2 years), you should be fine.
The president of BR (孫嘉明) said that 25K/week was based on arrivals before the 3+4 policy, and BR has already exceeded its allocated quota. He lobbied the government to exclude TW nationals from the quota to prevent citizens from being stranded oversea.

Not relevant for TPAC, but CX announced yesterday that it has exceeded its allocated quota so no new booking for TPE would be accepted until August. Not sure what CX would do to stay under the quota.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Went through TPE T1 last night. Everyone seems to have chilled out. They still attempt to spray you with bleach before entering the taxi (useless) but I declined. Still waiting for the first call from the foreign affairs police.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:44 am

With summer vacation, and no incrsaed quota from 25K to rumor of 40K, people who depart may seriously be unable to return to Taiwan, citizens or foreigners

I don't get the TW gov't logic as always
lsquare and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:34 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by smes
. They still attempt to spray you with bleach.
lol, my wife (Taiwanese) says you sound like a banana.
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
With summer vacation, and no incrsaed quota from 25K to rumor of 40K, people who depart may seriously be unable to return to Taiwan, citizens or foreigners

I don't get the TW gov't logic as always
Since the first couple months of the pandemic, the TW government has been building a domestic consensus that people from oversea, citizens or not, are the carrier of Covid. By "rigorously defending the border", Taiwan can gradually reopen while staying Covid free. This obviously would have stopped working given the surge of cases since May, so the government has switched gear. The current reasoning (said by the primer today) is that there are so many dangerous variants oversea, and if the 25K/week cap is increased, there will be an even bigger surge. As for exempting oversea citizens from the cap, it is just a "gimmick created by the opposition party to allow oversea citizens to come home and vote".

A good majority of the local population don't travel oversea often, and don't directly benefit from the free flow of people. As long as US senators can keep visiting Taiwan, they are content
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:17 am

The TW government just announced that effective immediately, the weekly arrival cap will increase to 40K. Also announced is that starting on July 14, citizens, ARC holders, and transit passengers no longer need to provide PCR tests prior to arrival (just need to take the post arrival test). Those who tested positive abroad *should* refrain from flying for 7 days.

Way too late, but at least in the right direction.
YariGuy, uanj, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
The TW government just announced that effective immediately, the weekly arrival cap will increase to 40K. Also announced is that starting on July 14, citizens, ARC holders, and transit passengers no longer need to provide PCR tests prior to arrival (just need to take the post arrival test). Those who tested positive abroad *should* refrain from flying for 7 days.

Baby steps...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:20 am

Programs: AC*Gold50K; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; StarLux Explorer
Very good, especially as PCR tests are becoming harder to find in most countries.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

It's a t least a couple of baby steps in the right direction. I was suprised testing lasted this long, on my recent trip no one asked to see once I landed in TPE. Last year the immigration officer asked to see it both times.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by uanj
It's a t least a couple of baby steps in the right direction. I was suprised testing lasted this long, on my recent trip no one asked to see once I landed in TPE. Last year the immigration officer asked to see it both times.
Maybe they're finally coming to their senses that their COVID policy isn't actually working. It's time to finally realize that vaccination and opening up are the only way forward now. Zero COVID doesn't work.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:19 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Has anyone tried to transit on separate ticket since they started allowing transit? Want to know how much time to leave between flight or possible overnight (entry not issue, but not sure if possible to leave short of the quarantine days)
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talk about cutting it close...

We arrive back in Taiwan...ON JULY 14th!!!

Sooooo happy to hear this news. That stupid PCR test requirement was going to cost my wife and I US$280 (and waste a half day of our precious vacation time).

Now, the only question is whether United is going to give us any hassle at boarding time because we won't have the test certs, and we are departing on July 13 (arriving on the 14th). Hopefully, their systems will be updated in time.
lsquare, ithinkurdumb and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Skyman65

Sooooo happy to hear this news. That stupid PCR test requirement was going to cost my wife and I US$280 (and waste a half day of our precious vacation time).

Now, the only question is whether United is going to give us any hassle at boarding time because we won't have the test certs, and we are departing on July 13 (arriving on the 14th). Hopefully, their systems will be updated in time.
Nice! In my experience UA staff at SFO and SEA are very familiar with Taiwan’s draconian requirements, even on the day new requirements went into effect (such as mandatory quarantine hotel last June). Given that the entry form needs to be manually validated, Travel Ready Center probably still won't work for TPE arrivals.
Skyman65 and lsquare like this.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Jul 7, 2022 at 12:10 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Skyman65

Though you won't need it, this last time I did the NAAT test at a Walgreen's drive-through which has a two-hour turnaround. While I selected it for convenience of making the appointment and location, they also don't charge for it.

Nice! In my experience UA staff at SFO and SEA are very familiar with Taiwan’s draconian requirements, even on the day new requirements went into effect (such as mandatory quarantine hotel last June). Given that the entry form needs to be manually validated, Travel Ready Center probably still won't work for TPE arrivals.
My last three entries to TPE the Travel Ready Center was useless. Allow extra time at the first airport you check in just to be safe,
Skyman65 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uanj
Though you won't need it, this last time I did the NAAT test at a Walgreen's drive-through which has a two-hour turnaround. While I selected it for convenience of making the appointment and location, they also don't charge for it.

My last three entries to TPE the Travel Ready Center was useless. Allow extra time at the first airport you check in just to be safe,
Don't know if their policy changed, but when I checked Walgreen's website, I did their questionnaire, and according to them, I did NOT qualify for a free test. I guess I could have lied to some of the questions, but if answered truthfully, the only option they offered was self-paid at $139.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.