Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Why do things have to be black and white? COVID isn't going to go away anytime soon, if ever. So you want to live in this state for the rest of your life? There has to be balance, and at this point, I'm not sure how the quarantine requirement for someone like me, that's triple vaccinated with Pfizer, poses a risk to the weakest Taiwanese.
You seen to agree, then, that scientists should not run the show.
I never said I want to live like that. I doubt I can find anybody who wants their country to be like China. I just find this phrase 'follow the science' as meaningful as 'just because.' Because the 'science' of covid killing people has not changed and the medical profession's goal is to not have people die.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I doubt I can find anybody who wants their country to be like China.
Lol, I know an American who wants this, who now lives in Taiwan...
I think the only reason they aren't living in China right now is that they can't get in. And if they were in China they would be happy about the current lockdown policies because China saved the most lives or something.
tai4de2 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
You seen to agree, then, that scientists should not run the show.
I never said I want to live like that. I doubt I can find anybody who wants their country to be like China. I just find this phrase 'follow the science' as meaningful as 'just because.' Because the 'science' of covid killing people has not changed and the medical profession's goal is to not have people die.
What's wrong with Singapore's model? Why is Singapore's model not a good fit for Taiwan?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:08 pm

What's wrong with Singapore's model? Why is Singapore's model not a good fit for Taiwan?
I would hope one thing everybody learned from the pandemic is that the efficacy of a law is dependent on two things: enforcement, compliance. With the latter being more important. In the US we know that if a government mandates masks it will increase masking by some percentage but compliance will be nowhere close to 100%.
Most people don't like it when their government changes the rules every day, or backtracks. Most governments never admit they are wrong. But Singapore is special. People trust their government (and others, to such an extent that they have a campaign telling people not to trust strangers) and the government is able to get most people to do stuff without needing any penalties.
Taiwan is not, as put aptly by Taipei's mayor:
“For the [world’s] four Chinese-speaking regions — Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Mainland China — the longer the colonization, the more advanced a place is,” Ko said, adding that it was “embarrassing” that “Singapore is better than Hong Kong; Hong Kong is better than Taiwan; Taiwan is better than the mainland.” In a sense I feel it is more similar to China, cause the government has to save face. In Vietnam the COVID rules are not revised, they are just not enforced.

I don't see much similarity in Singapore's government and culture and Taiwan's. What works in one country likely will not work in the other.
YariGuy, UA_Flyer, Gerbs and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I don't see much similarity in Singapore's government and culture and Taiwan's. What works in one country likely will not work in the other.
And there’s also the matter of different vaccination rates, vaccine types administered (therefore questions of efficacy), spending on health care per capita, difference in how heavily their economy depends on an open border (29% of Singapore’s population are expats, being an international city, while less than 2% of Taiwans population are expats), and as you said, cultural and political differences.
UA_Flyer and BobFF68 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:26 pm

Singapore actually had some weirdest quarantine requirements for entries when they reopened couple months ago. A friend went to Sydney with her husband and helper. When they returned to Singapore, someone who sat near them on the flight tested positive. They were all put into government quarantine and without knowing when will their quarantine end. She spent 8 days, her husband 19 days, and the helper almost a month. And because the helper is Indonesian, she had to pay for her quarantine.

But Singapore is special. People trust their government (and others, to such an extent that they have a campaign telling people not to trust strangers)
I don’t know how much Singaporeans really “trust” the PAP, but they sure have higher expectations (than other Chinese-influenced countries) that the benevolent government to take care of its citizen.
Also, I think the main reason that TW governments (plural) have done a lot of the backtracking, being ambiguous, and following populist opinions is the fact that among all these countries, they are the only one who have to face elections.
TerryK, YariGuy, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Singapore actually had some weirdest quarantine requirements for entries when they reopened couple months ago. A friend went to Sydney with her husband and helper. When they returned to Singapore, someone who sat near them on the flight tested positive. They were all put into government quarantine and without knowing when will their quarantine end. She spent 8 days, her husband 19 days, and the helper almost a month. And because the helper is Indonesian, she had to pay for her quarantine.

I don’t know how much Singaporeans really “trust” the PAP, but they sure have higher expectations (than other Chinese-influenced countries) that the benevolent government to take care of its citizen.
Also, I think the main reason that TW governments (plural) have done a lot of the backtracking, being ambiguous, and following populist opinions is the fact that among all these countries, they are the only one who have to face elections.
LOL. Singapore government faces the same election, but it does not have to follow popular opinions to win an election. With all power PAP has in Singapore, it chooses mostly the right path to lead the people. It is really a gift to have such a government.

It is about the government itself to win the people.
Gerbs likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
LOL. Singapore government faces the same election, but it does not have to follow popular opinions to win an election. With all power PAP has in Singapore, it chooses mostly the right path to lead the people. It is really a gift to have such a government.

It is about the government itself to win the people.
No offense intended, and I don't doubt your sincerity, but it really creeps me out to hear anyone talk about their government this way.

estnet, m.y, ithinkurdumb and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, OZ Gold
Originally Posted by uanj
It looks like if you hit confirm you can go ahead and book the flight, they are just giving you the warning that transit suspension will go on through end September and you needed testing two days before your flight. Much better than AA who have been pushing connections through HND/NRT changing airports without any special warning (which have not been allowed to non-residents of Japan).

For some of the other comments, I don't know of anyone who has been denied a visa to Taiwan this year, the representative offices seem to be finding ways to grant them for family or business visits. But you will have to quarantine on arrival, just like residents, so I am sure that keeps the number of applicants down. And even last year when we looked into getting special entry permits for business, when they were not likely to approved they told us in advance and asked us to wait 1-2 months and apply again. It was not a case of apply, pay, and spin the roulette wheel. Maybe we were just lucky with this particular representative office but they were very professional. And the suspension only lasted 8 weeks or so.

Two reasons I can think of . Weren't there some cases before related to workers at TPE who spread covid to their familiies? International transit was never on the scale of HKG, NRT, or ICN. BR and CI are both making decent profits. I think the government is looking at the risk/reward return and probably saying international transit is not an immediate need to be addressed. Just my guess.

For everyone wanting the government to move faster on relaxing restrictions I counsel some patience. The number of positive cases is going up by a thousand a day right now, day after day. Something like 99.7% have low level or no symptoms. If this can be managed, which is the case so far, I bet they will continue the gradual relaxing of restrictions. I am impressed they have not hit the breaks somewhat so far given the sudden rise in cases.
Sadly clicking confirm just does a search and tells me there are no flights available on that date or for any date in that week. Seems like transit bookings are not available to be booked at the moment. Having said that, my original flight booking for July 20 from a few months ago, while I cannot recreate it, I can still pick and change my seats……
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Skyman65
No offense intended, and I don't doubt your sincerity, but it really creeps me out to hear anyone talk about their government this way.
Don't bother. There are a number of self-appointed government apologists who would never admit that government can be wrong.See No U-turn syndrome
LETTERBOY and smes like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by invisible
Don't bother. There are a number of self-appointed government apologists who would never admit that government can be wrong.See No U-turn syndrome

it is not about whether they did wrong, it is more about how they correct their wrongs. There are bound to be mistakes, the tough choice is to make the right choice despite popular opinions.

credit where credit is due. The leadership has not failed the people that much, unlike the more polarised governments…
Old May 3, 2022, 12:38 am

Starting next Monday (5/9), home quarantine will be shortened to 7 days. PCR on arrival, and antigen test on last day of quarantine. No difference between vaccinated or not.

Way too small steps, but at least in the right direction.
lsquare and ProleOnParole like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:42 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Starting next Monday (5/9), home quarantine will be shortened to 7 days. PCR on arrival, and antigen test on last day of quarantine. No difference between vaccinated or not.

Way too small steps, but at least in the right direction.
This is for nationals that have an empty residence, yes?
Old May 3, 2022, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
This is for nationals that have an empty residence, yes?
I think it's for anyone who has access to an empty residence, regardless of nationality.

ETA: And if you don't, you may do your quarantine at a quarantine hotel, still 7 days.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you can read Chinese, here are the deets:

uanj, lsquare and ProleOnParole like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.