Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan closed to all foreign visitors as of 19 Mar 2020

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Sadly, you may be correct. What is surprising to me is that economy doesn't seems to be affected. Perhaps there is no real need for international travel to conduct business activities? Travel is just for fun and leisure. I begin to wonder.
Maybe 2 years ago there was a big need. The world has adapted during that time though. Travel for business will always be there, but lots of companies realized that most of it is not required and eats up a lot of money and more importantly time that could be better used. I've taken 6 trips for leisure since the pandemic started, but no business travel. I am tentatively schedules for a trade show late January but that is now on the fence.

Taiwan is also large enough to be self sustaining, Singapore is a poor choice to compare it with as they had to open or end up slowly dying like Hong Kong currently is.

We are now booked to visit Taiwan in October 2022, 3rd time is the charm?
docsxx likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
Taiwan is organising Computex for end of May 2022. It is one of the largest computer and technology trade shows in the world. They also said that they would start opening when double vaccination reached 70% (though they may change their minds after Omicron). They are now at 58 % (according to the NYT). One can only hope next year we'll be able to go back to the Beautiful Island...
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by docsxx
Taiwan is organising Computex for end of May 2022. It is one of the largest computer and technology trade shows in the world. They also said that they would start opening when double vaccination reached 70% (though they may change their minds after Omicron). They are now at 58 % (according to the NYT). One can only hope next year we'll be able to go back to the Beautiful Island...
It's over 60% according to TW CDC, which is on par with the US. But if and when Taiwan relaxes board control mostly depend on public opinion and politics, not science or policy. As noted by a former TW CDC director, when the majority of the population cannot tolerate even a single case, it is hard to design a system that works.

As for Computex, they can easily expand the current special entry permits to exhibitors and buyers while keeping other travel out.
LETTERBOY and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
...........As for Computex, they can easily expand the current special entry permits to exhibitors and buyers while keeping other travel out.
True. But the question is not if they are allowed in or not. The issue is if they are subject to 14+7 day quarantine or not. Millions of Taiwanese, who are eligible for entry, are kept out of Taiwan as they either don't want to subject to quarantine or unable to find suitable quarantine hotels.

I am not sure there will be too many takers if Taiwan opens up to foreigners yet subject them to the same 14+7 quarantine. The first 14 days must be in either government run quarantine facilities or designated quarantine hotels. The next 7 days are better yet you cannot attend any group function, such as meetings or trade shows, nor can you go to restaurants. Therefore, Computex attendees, if they are allowed in, must arrive at least 21 days prior to event under current rules. Oh there are currently 35,000 quarantine hotel rooms while Computex has more than 100,000 attendees.

Last edited by TerryK; Dec 5, 2021 at 7:29 am
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
True. But the question is not if they are allowed in or not. The issue is if they are subject to 14+7 day quarantine or not. Millions of Taiwanese, who are eligible for entry, are kept out of Taiwan as they either don't want to subject to quarantine or unable to find suitable quarantine hotels.

I am not sure there will be too many takers if Taiwan opens up to foreigners yet subject them to the same 14+7 quarantine. The first 14 days must be in either government run quarantine facilities or designated quarantine hotels. The next 7 days are better yet you cannot attend any group function, such as meetings or trade shows, nor can you go to restaurants. Therefore, Computex attendees, if they are allowed in, must arrive at least 21 days prior to event under current rules. Oh there are currently 35,000 quarantine hotel rooms while Computex has more than 100,000 attendees.
My hunch is that Taiwan will eventually do what Singapore is doing . . . . require preflight testing, vaccinated travel lanes, then immediate testing upon entry and short isolation while waiting for results (4-6 hours). These are very sensible approaches that catch almost every case of incoming covid, which are few already given the pre-departure testing. I don't think that it's feasible for Taiwan to remain this closed off to the world, and the leadership and population will eventually realize this. What people are willing to put up with for a while wanes as they find themselves increasingly unable to travel and host international friends/family/business colleagues without these extreme measures.
TerryK, YariGuy, LETTERBOY and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
My hunch is that Taiwan will eventually do what Singapore is doing . . . . require preflight testing, vaccinated travel lanes, then immediate testing upon entry and short isolation while waiting for results (4-6 hours). ......
I sure hope you are right.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JNelson113
My hunch is that Taiwan will eventually do what Singapore is doing . . . . require preflight testing, vaccinated travel lanes, then immediate testing upon entry and short isolation while waiting for results (4-6 hours). These are very sensible approaches that catch almost every case of incoming covid, which are few already given the pre-departure testing. I don't think that it's feasible for Taiwan to remain this closed off to the world, and the leadership and population will eventually realize this. What people are willing to put up with for a while wanes as they find themselves increasingly unable to travel and host international friends/family/business colleagues without these extreme measures.
I sure hope you are right.
At the end of the day, the world will need to move on to common-sense policies and live with COVID. Zero-COVID is unsustainable. By 2022, there will be anti-viral treatments for COVID. With the right policies in place, which may very well include masks for the foreseeable future, the whole world can reclaim their lives and live a normal life. COVID will likely never go away. Taiwan must accept that.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:48 am

That is the ridiculous part. Quarantine itself while inconvenient, at least it's effective. Mandatory hotel quarantine just puts everyone in dormitories with central AC and no window. Probably as effective as having the chemical corps spreading disinfectant on the ground to prevent an airborne virus.

The 3rd week is actually much better and not quarantine at all. You *should* avoid meetings and trade shows but *can* if these meetings are *important*. You can also go to restaurants and dine with others, as long as you don't go with friends and family (but if they go to the same restaurant separately, then it's ok),

Given all these are not for actually preventing/mitigating COVID risks, TW government can just expand the shortened quarantine for business travelers from certain low risk countries to Computex attendees.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
That is the ridiculous part. Quarantine itself while inconvenient, at least it's effective. Mandatory hotel quarantine just puts everyone in dormitories with central AC and no window. Probably as effective as having the chemical corps spreading disinfectant on the ground to prevent an airborne virus.

The 3rd week is actually much better and not quarantine at all. You *should* avoid meetings and trade shows but *can* if these meetings are *important*. You can also go to restaurants and dine with others, as long as you don't go with friends and family (but if they go to the same restaurant separately, then it's ok),

Given all these are not for actually preventing/mitigating COVID risks, TW government can just expand the shortened quarantine for business travelers from certain low risk countries to Computex attendees.
Is there a list? If so, I wonder if the US is on it. COVID cases are now back over 100,000/day...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/healt...day/index.html
For the first time in two months, the US is averaging more than 100,000 new Covid-19 cases each day, shortly after millions of Americans traveled for the Thanksgiving holiday.

The seven-day moving average of new cases was 121,437 as of Saturday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University (JHU). Prior to this week, the US last topped the 100,000-cases-a-day mark in early October.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is there a list? If so, I wonder if the US is on it. COVID cases are now back over 100,000/day...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/healt...day/index.html
Business travelers from low risk countries need to home quarantine for 5 days and those from medium risk countries need to home quarantine for 7 days. I'm not sure if this still applies now that hotel/central quarantine are mandatory.

The low risk countries are Nauru, Marshall Islands, Palau, Bhutan, HK, and Macau. There are currently no medium risk country. Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and Vietnam used to be on the list before they pivoted from 0-COVID.

If you are interested, here is the regulations regarding that: Regulations concerning short-term business travelers applications for shortened quarantine periods in Taiwan-20210416.pdf (cdc.gov.tw)
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:50 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
You have to realize that there are a huge amount of people in the United States that will not take the vaccine or be careful at all…EVER, but the tendency for those people is to not be the international traveler trying to go to Taiwan for family or business. If Taiwan comes up with some sort of policy to allow us to go, I can only imagine it’s going to be fully boosted, multiple tested, and so on. Even a short few-day quarantine like Japan initiated before stupid omnicron.

Like someone said earlier, we are going to have to live with a certain amount of Covid, but there will be therapeutics and “pills“ that will help liken it to a cold or flu.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
The mandatory hotel quarantine has been effective though. When home quarantine was allowed there were cases of people not following the rules and causing community spread. Taiwan got a hold of COVID after the May outbreak this year by cracking down hard on intenational airline crew (some of whom were also found to be violating their own relaxed quatantine regs) and stopping home quarantine. As much as I dislike it, the policy has shown itself to be effective.

Taiwan has not been on the forefront of "living with the virus" and I don't see that changing no matter how inconvenient that is for us. I would be happy to see 7 day quarantine for vaccinated travelers as a start. Heck I'll settle for 7+3 as a start.
TerryK and Dave510 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:46 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by uanj
Taiwan has not been on the forefront of "living with the virus" and I don't see that changing no matter how inconvenient that is for us. I would be happy to see 7 day quarantine for vaccinated travelers as a start. Heck I'll settle for 7+3 as a start.
It’s getting to the point of being silly. A 3 day quarantine with pre and post testing, and full vaccination (booster mandatory) would be plenty. Sure, add a couple more days of home quarantine afterwards. Beyond that, it’s ludicrous. 21 days is laughable.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does Taiwan or the airlines accept Rapid NAAT tests? I see that NAAT is included as an accepted test on the Taiwanese cdc website but I’m unsure if we’ll run into issues if it’s a ‘rapid’ test? It’s currently offered by carbon health locations nationwide in the US
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......The 3rd week is actually much better and not quarantine at all. You *should* avoid meetings and trade shows but *can* if these meetings are *important*. You can also go to restaurants and dine with others, as long as you don't go with friends and family (but if they go to the same restaurant separately, then it's ok)........
You are a privileged guy. Taiwan CDC simply treats you better.

I put in an inquiry and was specifically told no to the above. Taipei Sheraton, for example, requires guests to sign an agreement that, for guests under 7 day self-health check, they will not dine in their restaurants nor will they access Executive Lounge. Those guests, I was told, are limited to take away orders only as room service has been suspended. Some hotels don't even accept guests under 7 day self-health check period.

NOTICE for control the spread of epidemic COVID-19. Hotel will adopt the following policies to maintain the health, rights and interests of the public.

All check-in guests must cooperate with the body temperature measurement policy, have no fever and agree with the Hotel’s epidemic control measures.

If you or others (including roommates, accompaniments, and visitors) have received the “Home Quarantine Notice” or the “Passenger Health Declaration and Home Quarantine Notice” or “Self-Health Management Notice” before check-in, we apologize for rejecting you from the hotel service and will return your payments in the original mode of payment unconditionally.

If concealing the receipt of notice after checking-in, Hotel will terminate the contract as of the date of acknowledgment and immediately suspend all services. Hotel will not need to make compensation of any kind. By contrast, you would be also liable to indemnify the damage caused to the Hotel by your concealment.
All are fine after 7 day self-health check period or 21 days after arrival into Taiwan.

Last edited by TerryK; Dec 6, 2021 at 8:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.