Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Vietnam cancels VOA for 8 European Countries

Vietnam cancels VOA for 8 European Countries

Old Mar 16, 20, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bobbytables View Post
there is no such requirement unless you’ve transited Iran, Italy or Korea. As of now, anyway.
As you cannot enter

Effective 12:00 pm Viet Nam local time, 15 March 2020:
1. All visa on arrivals are suspended.
2. Passengers who have been in or transited through the United Kingdom or a Schengen Member State in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Viet Nam. This does not apply to passengers who travel for diplomatic or official purpose.
Old Mar 16, 20, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by bobbytables View Post
there is no such requirement unless you’ve transited Iran, Italy or Korea. As of now, anyway.
Except for this little bit of info....

In addition, Vietnam has suspended visa on arrival for all foreign nationals except for those on official or diplomatic trips. Those who currently hold visas to enter Vietnam will need to undergo screenings and may be quarantined when entering the country.

My wife was saying that quarantine is happening more than not for many foreigners.
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:55 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by Firemansam View Post
Now you just need to hope that they don't decide to quarantine you on arrival.
No, trip cancelled on the HK end. We just announced quarantine against the world so I can't go now.
Old Mar 18, 20, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Firemansam View Post
Except for this little bit of info....

In addition, Vietnam has suspended visa on arrival for all foreign nationals except for those on official or diplomatic trips. Those who currently hold visas to enter Vietnam will need to undergo screenings and may be quarantined when entering the country.

My wife was saying that quarantine is happening more than not for many foreigners.
I know three foreigners who've come in separately in the last days (all had existing visas), with no travel history to any of the listed places. None showed symptoms and none were quarantined. They said the checks were cursory. Just one data point.
Old May 5, 21, 7:20 am

Can anyone living in Vietnam say whether there is any expectation of Vietnam removing quarantine requirements from tourists arriving into Vietnam after September 2021? I would expect the tourists to have a negative Covid test, or proof of completed vaccination.
Old May 5, 21, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Yanshuf View Post
Can anyone living in Vietnam say whether there is any expectation of Vietnam removing quarantine requirements from tourists arriving into Vietnam after September 2021? I would expect the tourists to have a negative Covid test, or proof of completed vaccination.
there is no official information about this. However, I would say that it is unlikely.

we are now entering our “fourth wave”, and there is no meaningful progress toward vaccinating people here.

allowing in vaccinated foreigners may raise difficult questions about the lack of any realistic long term plan, and the total lack of progress on vaccination, which at present are being conveniently ignored by the media.
Old May 7, 21, 4:46 am

Thanks for that info. Very interesting comment about the government's fear that letting in vaccinated tourists could highlight the lack of progress in vaccinating their own people.

We were hoping to make a short 1 week trip to a beach resort at the end of October. We will look elsewhere.
Old May 9, 21, 3:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Yanshuf View Post
We were hoping to make a short 1 week trip to a beach resort at the end of October. We will look elsewhere.
I would suggest crossing out all ‘zero Covid’ countries if you are looking towards for hassle and quarantine free entry until either Covid is eradicated in the whole world or until they change their stance, whatever comes first.

P.S. Writing from Singapore. What is going on here - check Singapore forum.
Old May 25, 21, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
I would suggest crossing out all ‘zero Covid’ countries if you are looking towards for hassle and quarantine free entry until either Covid is eradicated in the whole world or until they change their stance, whatever comes first.

P.S. Writing from Singapore. What is going on here - check Singapore forum.
I agree, the "zero covid" target is unrealistic in combination with allowing international travel, and the enshrinement of that target in local politics and public expectations has put these countries in a very difficult position moving forward.

The situation is also more complex in Vietnam due to difficulties in obtaining vaccines. Entirely contradictory reports come out of the government and the media every day regarding vaccination numbers, targets, and vaccine orders, but at present I believe only about 20-30k people (in a country of 96m) are fully vaccinated, and the government at one point announced a target of vaccinating 20% of the population by the end of 2022. As an expat living here, I would be happy to pay well for a vaccine, yet none is available without a logistically complicated and time-consuming trip to another country. No plausible plan has been presented that would achieve anything approaching population immunity.

Unless the rest of the world eradicates the virus, which is very unlikely, Vietnam has no realistic chance of opening up without mass vaccination, because even the kind of case numbers that would be considered relatively small in other countries would completely overwhelm the available medical facilities. Singapore by contrast can safely afford to have some low baseline of cases in order to have a sustainable path forward, since the available medical care is much greater both in quantity and quality. (And in any case, the vaccination picture in Singapore looks much better than here.)

I would be surprised if Vietnam is easily accessible to foreign tourists in the next 12 months or even much longer.
IAN-UK, imm2b and adrianlondon like this.

Last edited by bobbytables; May 26, 21 at 12:00 am

Search this Thread