Reload this Page >

Vietnam cancels VOA for 8 European Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam cancels VOA for 8 European Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:54 am

The thread title needs to be changed. Visa on Arrival has not been cancelled. Only the half-month visa exemption that a small number of nationalities were eligible for has been suspended.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
So what about E-Visa then? https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:26 pm

I believe e-visa has been stopped to the above countries.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by yurtripper
How on earth is the Hanoi F1 GP going to work under this strict regime?

Virtually all of the F1 Teams are based in the UK or Italy.
Is likely to be cancelled IMO. Australia/Melbourne F1 GP is already cancelled
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Firemansam
I am travelling mid April from Australia to visit the wife's family, I have a spouse visa so no worries there and am not concerned about the virus as such but am worried that Australia will come onto the list eventually like the European countries are now.
Nothing like spending the 2 weeks of my holiday in quarantine the whole time.
I'm an Australian residing in Hong Kong. Bit disturbed by this notice.

So I put an application in, see if it gets approved:

Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam will deny entry and stop issuing tourist visas to citizens from Europe’s Schengen visa-free area and Britain starting from Sunday, amid concerns over the spreading coronavirus, its foreign ministry said.

The restriction will start from midday March 15 following a proposal from the country’s prime minister, the ministry said in a statement on its website.

Visas on arrival for all foreign nationals are also temporarily halted, it added.

The British embassy in Hanoi updated its travel advice on a UK government website.

“From noon Vietnam time, March 15, all foreign nationals will be refused entry to Vietnam if in the previous 14 days they have been to the UK, or any Schengen country, even in transit,” said the statement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2102TO
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam will deny entry and stop issuing tourist visas to citizens from Europe’s Schengen visa-free area and Britain starting from Sunday, amid concerns over the spreading coronavirus, its foreign ministry said.

The restriction will start from midday March 15 following a proposal from the country’s prime minister, the ministry said in a statement on its website.

Visas on arrival for all foreign nationals are also temporarily halted, it added.

The British embassy in Hanoi updated its travel advice on a UK government website.

“From noon Vietnam time, March 15, all foreign nationals will be refused entry to Vietnam if in the previous 14 days they have been to the UK, or any Schengen country, even in transit,” said the statement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2102TO
the first paragraph partially contradicts the last one... is it citizens of those countries who will be denied entry, or people who’ve been there in the last 14 days?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
How on earth is the Hanoi F1 GP going to work under this strict regime?

Virtually all of the F1 Teams are based in the UK or Italy.
F1 Hanoi postponed VGP News | F1 Grand Prix in Ha Noi postponed due to Coronavirus - F1 Grand Prix in Ha Noi postponed due to Coronavirus
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by bobbytables
the first paragraph partially contradicts the last one... is it citizens of those countries who will be denied entry, or people who’ve been there in the last 14 days?
Reuters
//Vietnam will deny entry and stop issuing tourist visas to citizens from Europe’s Schengen visa-free area and Britain starting from Sunday, amid concerns over the spreading coronavirus, its foreign ministry said.

--> I think this notice is obsolete
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=hk
//Beause of covid -19 outbreak in some countries in Europe, the Embassy of Vietnam in London for the time being will not accept requests for visa processing until further notice. Only applicants with visa approval letter from the Immigration Department of Vietnam can apply for visa issuance from the Embassy.
Current notice
http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.p...n=p&ct=Notice1
//The Government of Viet Nam has decided to: (i) temporarily suspend entry for tourist who come from the Schengen countries and/or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or have visited or transited through these areas within 14 days preceding their expected entry into Viet Nam

Reuters
//all foreign nationals will be refused entry to Vietnam if in the previous 14 days they have been to the UK, or any Schengen country, even in transit

--> Chinhphu (
Vietnamese Government Portal)VGP News | Highly Recommended: Latest update on entry and exit regulations for FOREIGNERS - Highly Recommended: Latest update on entry and exit regulations for FOREIGNERS (VN MOFA http://www.mofa.gov.vn/en/nr04080710...ns200314083802 wording is identical)
//Specifically, the Government has decided to: (i) temporarily suspend entry for tourists who come from the Schengen countries and/or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or have visited or transited through these areas within 14 days preceding their expected entry into Viet Nam;

That's much easier to comprehend than Thailand's schizophrenia for the past week
If I get my e-visa on my AUS, then it'll be crystal who the travel restrictions apply to.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:31 pm

So it looks like my wife (Italian passport, no recent travel to Schengen) would be denied entry despite already having a valid visa.

Assuming that by “come from” they mean “have a passport from”, that is. Can’t they find a lawyer or something to write these things precisely?!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by bobbytables
So it looks like my wife (Italian passport, no recent travel to Schengen) would be denied entry despite already having a valid visa.

Assuming that by “come from” they mean “have a passport from”, that is. Can’t they find a lawyer or something to write these things precisely?!
Timatic requirements already uploaded https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Effective 12:00 pm Viet Nam local time, 15 March 2020:

1. All visa on arrivals are suspended.

2. Passengers who have been in or transited through the United Kingdom or a Schengen Member State in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter Viet Nam. This does not apply to passengers who travel for diplomatic or official purpose.

- This does not apply to nationals of Viet Nam.

- This does not apply to passengers who reside in Viet Nam.
I do not believe Vietnam intends to practice nationality-based restrictions on entry. A Briton residing in Bangkok for the past 14 days is eligible to apply for visa in Vietnamese Embassy Bangkok and enter. Better if your the country you're in last 14 days stamps in and out (so I chose Thailand rather than HK) so you can easily demonstrate to the passport flippers you haven't been anywhere else unlike the heiress...
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:25 pm

I guess Reuters has it wrong - timatic certainly the more reliable source. Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I'm an Australian residing in Hong Kong. Bit disturbed by this notice.

So I put an application in, see if it gets approved:
Applied 14 March afternoon, just approved:

Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Applied 14 March afternoon, just approved:

Now you just need to hope that they don't decide to quarantine you on arrival.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Now you just need to hope that they don't decide to quarantine you on arrival.
there is no such requirement unless you’ve transited Iran, Italy or Korea. As of now, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.