Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Taiwan in April?

Taiwan in April?

Old Feb 3, 20, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Taiwan in April?

Hi - I went to Taiwan for the first time in December and absolutely loved the country - so much so that I promised myself I would come back this year.

I was thinking that April/May might be a good time to go - get some nice weather before the heat of summer hits in earnest. With the coronavirus scare in China, do you think that's a good idea? I trust Taiwan's public health authorities to handle things appropriately, so I figure things in a couple of months should be under control -- and the likely reduction in tourists could make prices a bit more affordable and reduce crowds. What does the forum think?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 20, 11:10 am

Programs: most of them
Personally I wouldn't hesitate to go. I'm not so sure I would expect cheaper prices for anything though.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:59 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
Hi - I went to Taiwan for the first time in December and absolutely loved the country - so much so that I promised myself I would come back this year.

I was thinking that April/May might be a good time to go - get some nice weather before the heat of summer hits in earnest. With the coronavirus scare in China, do you think that's a good idea? I trust Taiwan's public health authorities to handle things appropriately, so I figure things in a couple of months should be under control -- and the likely reduction in tourists could make prices a bit more affordable and reduce crowds. What does the forum think?

Thanks!
Can you predict the stock market? I'd say wait till things settle down before booking ANY travel to the Far East
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see a lot of discussion on the local talk/news stations saying that the next few days will be critical in determining how well infection prevention measures are working. Specifically, everyone's talking about Feb 7 as the key date to look at the numbers and determine whether prevention measures are working. If you're concerned about coming to Taiwan due to the virus, you might want to wait a few days and see where things are at then.
Old Feb 3, 20, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA PRO/1MM, Priority Club Platinum
April is a great time to visit, warm but not excessively hot (at least in the north, anyway). By May it's pretty much summer.

I'm still planning a work trip to Taiwan end of Feb, though I'll keep an eye on things in case the situation changes. As things stand now Taiwan has fewer documented cases than the US or Australia.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, UA Silver, National Executive
I'm in a similar boat. Have family trip planned to Taiwan with 1 yr old son and I'm getting pressure from relatives to cancel or postpone due to coronavirus even though Taiwan only has 10 cases and US has 11. I'm debating if I should cancel/postpone and if April would be safe. I spent countless hours planning and finding F award tix for the family, so I would be super bummed to cancel/postpone. I'm also wondering what others here think.
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
I would definitely hold off on changing any plans as your travel is so far off. We'll know a lot more about the situation in 2 weeks or so. The situation in Taiwan could very well be contained but we don't have the information yet to make that judgment.

I have a trip at the end of the month and I'm not worried about it at all; things would have to get a lot worse for me to cancel, although I certainly understand that the concerns are different for those traveling with infants / the elderly / anyone more susceptible to complications.

Originally Posted by brenc3 View Post
April is a great time to visit, warm but not excessively hot (at least in the north, anyway). By May it's pretty much summer.
Agreed. April is borderline for me; I tend to avoid Taiwan from April-September but usually April/September are bearable.
Old Feb 6, 20, 3:40 pm
formerly ltabi

I just postponed my trip to Taiwan from March until September. My family didn't want to travel to Asia for the time being. I wouldn't have hesitated to go (love Taiwan!).
Old Feb 7, 20, 9:27 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
I agree with this as we still do not know if this get bigger or it's under control. There was mass local SMS warning till Feb 14 to check your health in Taipei area (I am in South but still got the SMS), so would wait till then too see what will happen. (The SMS alert was because the boat in Japan with 65 people who the Wuhan virus was in Taipei on Jan 31 and the passengers spent the day in town, so we will see if anyone gets sick but so far it seems ok but wait for the 14 days)
Old Feb 8, 20, 2:41 am

Programs: LH FTL, EB*G(2)
Originally Posted by Taipei View Post
(The SMS alert was because the boat in Japan with 65 people who the Wuhan virus was in Taipei on Jan 31 and the passengers spent the day in town, so we will see if anyone gets sick but so far it seems ok but wait for the 14 days)
Per asahi.com it was also in KHH on Feb, 5th Japan, fearing pathogen, calls on cruise ships to stay away : The Asahi Shimbun

Edit: likely mixing up two different ships, sorry.

Last edited by PAX_fips; Feb 8, 20 at 4:22 am
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:10 am

The exact map that was shared is here:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...v2TQ3cuOS7PJH3

It can be repurposed as a list of major tourist attractions in Taipei and the vicinity to consider visiting.
Old Feb 27, 20, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
I love Taiwan as well, but I won't go there until at least the second half of the year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: