Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ninoy Aquino International Flights On Hold

Old Jan 12, 20, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Global Entry, Nat'l ExeElite, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Gold

Due to volcanic activity and ash clouds, all flights at Ninoy Aquino International Airport are on hold.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...uations/660810
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:00 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Yes it's getting worse. Ash is falling in MNL city too. Even in Makati. There maybe even evacuation from some parts of Manila.
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA1K 2MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Ash

Ash is falling as far north as Quezon City. My wife is there with a flight back to the US next week, I hope. There were small lava fountains early this morning

https://www.rappler.com/nation/24913...anuary-13-2020
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:33 pm

I have a non-refundable flight and reservation in Manila before heading back to North America in 4 days. Is it too risky to even fly in to Manila? I'm afraid of being stranded by an eruption as even Clark might be shut down. Will credit card insurance cover everything?
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
It seems the President's flight from Davao managed to land
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
I have a non-refundable flight and reservation in Manila before heading back to North America in 4 days. Is it too risky to even fly in to Manila? I'm afraid of being stranded by an eruption as even Clark might be shut down. Will credit card insurance cover everything?
All flights are cancelled today (Monday) due to ash on runway, expected to reopen Tuesday. It is definitely high risk, you can be stranded for a few weeks, never mind days. I was at DPS (Bali) so risk is not theoretical.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Will credit card insurance cover everything?
I highly doubt that it will cover anything. Natural cataclysms AKA 'act of God' in insurancespeech in general are not covered if you opted to travel to the destination after the disaster started showing off.

Moreover, while I do not know which company provides insurance for your credit card, these insurances, unless you booked trip via AMEX Centurion, are inferior compared to dedicated travel insurance.

You might want to
a) read T/C of your credit card's insurance cover
b) after you've gone thru the T/C call your credit card company, ask to speak with benefits administrator and ask clarifying questions - if this will the credit card insurance cover that.

You can check Bali TripAdvisor Forums dating back in 2017 during Mount Agung eruption and read stories. While most of the stories were from Australians (who are to Bali in high numbers), one common line emerged that even if insurance covered provided reimbursement of lodgings (some people got stuck for a week and more) it didn't cover the actual costs - you could be ended up paying $300/night for two weeks while the insurance would cover $30/day for first five days.

So... just decide what level of risk you are comfortable with...

Last edited by invisible; Jan 13, 20 at 1:57 am
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
partially open now - it would be wise to expect that this will be a changing situation with traffic very restricted - but I would for sure count on delays and the possibility of ending up somewhere other than Manila if you are flying in - PR e.g., has diverted flights to Cebu, Hong Kong, Haneda etc.
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Alaska 75K, Marriott Premier Plat
I have never been to the Philippines and currently have plans to visit El Nido and Cebu from from 25th on, a little less than two weeks from today. While I'm guessing it's impossible to know the timeline of the eruptions, does anyone with a little more Philippines experience than me have a guess as to whether those areas would be affected by this? I'd also be connecting through MNL, so may be affected either way, whether eruptions impact those areas or not.
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by JeremyApp View Post
I have never been to the Philippines and currently have plans to visit El Nido and Cebu from from 25th on, a little less than two weeks from today. While I'm guessing it's impossible to know the timeline of the eruptions, does anyone with a little more Philippines experience than me have a guess as to whether those areas would be affected by this? I'd also be connecting through MNL, so may be affected either way, whether eruptions impact those areas or not.
I think Cebu and El Nido areas will not be affected by Volcanic ash/eruptions.

Flights through MNL may well be impacted at the time you are travelling - so I would be prepared for disruption. Check what your insurance may/may not cover.

I guess at this late stage you can't fly directly into Cebu and by-pass Manila?
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz 5-star, National Emerald Executive
I would love any insight as well. I am traveling to Manila for a US Veterans disability hearing at the VA regional office (near Pasay). I land on the 29th. His hearing is on the 31st.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:21 am

I'm kind of not sure what insights are really possible - there is a level 4 alert - meaning an eruption could happen very soon, or it might not happen.

I would expect the situation will remain uncertain and flights are likely to be disrupted for some time and this may well be unpredictable.

Maybe the only way to be sure to get to Manila might to be take a ferry from Cebu

Search this Thread
Search Engine: