Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ninoy Aquino International Flights On Hold

Ninoy Aquino International Flights On Hold

Old Jan 12, 20, 7:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: UA 1K MM, Global Entry, Nat'l ExeElite, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 820
Ninoy Aquino International Flights On Hold

Due to volcanic activity and ash clouds, all flights at Ninoy Aquino International Airport are on hold.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...uations/660810
northsideguy is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Posts: 834
Yes it's getting worse. Ash is falling in MNL city too. Even in Makati. There maybe even evacuation from some parts of Manila.
dav662 is online now  
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: RDU
Programs: UA1K 2MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Posts: 1,684
Ash

Ash is falling as far north as Quezon City. My wife is there with a flight back to the US next week, I hope. There were small lava fountains early this morning

https://www.rappler.com/nation/24913...anuary-13-2020
dulcamara is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 457
I have a non-refundable flight and reservation in Manila before heading back to North America in 4 days. Is it too risky to even fly in to Manila? I'm afraid of being stranded by an eruption as even Clark might be shut down. Will credit card insurance cover everything?
Schweden is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 10:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,363
It seems the President's flight from Davao managed to land
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:30 am
  #6  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,479
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
I have a non-refundable flight and reservation in Manila before heading back to North America in 4 days. Is it too risky to even fly in to Manila? I'm afraid of being stranded by an eruption as even Clark might be shut down. Will credit card insurance cover everything?
All flights are cancelled today (Monday) due to ash on runway, expected to reopen Tuesday. It is definitely high risk, you can be stranded for a few weeks, never mind days. I was at DPS (Bali) so risk is not theoretical.
number_6 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 5,114
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
Will credit card insurance cover everything?
I highly doubt that it will cover anything. Natural cataclysms AKA 'act of God' in insurancespeech in general are not covered if you opted to travel to the destination after the disaster started showing off.

Moreover, while I do not know which company provides insurance for your credit card, these insurances, unless you booked trip via AMEX Centurion, are inferior compared to dedicated travel insurance.

You might want to
a) read T/C of your credit card's insurance cover
b) after you've gone thru the T/C call your credit card company, ask to speak with benefits administrator and ask clarifying questions - if this will the credit card insurance cover that.

You can check Bali TripAdvisor Forums dating back in 2017 during Mount Agung eruption and read stories. While most of the stories were from Australians (who are to Bali in high numbers), one common line emerged that even if insurance covered provided reimbursement of lodgings (some people got stuck for a week and more) it didn't cover the actual costs - you could be ended up paying $300/night for two weeks while the insurance would cover $30/day for first five days.

So... just decide what level of risk you are comfortable with...

Last edited by invisible; Jan 13, 20 at 1:57 am
invisible is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,363
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
I have a non-refundable flight and reservation in Manila before heading back to North America in 4 days. Is it too risky to even fly in to Manila? I'm afraid of being stranded by an eruption as even Clark might be shut down. Will credit card insurance cover everything?
partially open now - it would be wise to expect that this will be a changing situation with traffic very restricted - but I would for sure count on delays and the possibility of ending up somewhere other than Manila if you are flying in - PR e.g., has diverted flights to Cebu, Hong Kong, Haneda etc.
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:00 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Alaska 75K, Marriott Premier Plat
Posts: 30
I have never been to the Philippines and currently have plans to visit El Nido and Cebu from from 25th on, a little less than two weeks from today. While I'm guessing it's impossible to know the timeline of the eruptions, does anyone with a little more Philippines experience than me have a guess as to whether those areas would be affected by this? I'd also be connecting through MNL, so may be affected either way, whether eruptions impact those areas or not.
JeremyApp is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,363
Originally Posted by JeremyApp View Post
I have never been to the Philippines and currently have plans to visit El Nido and Cebu from from 25th on, a little less than two weeks from today. While I'm guessing it's impossible to know the timeline of the eruptions, does anyone with a little more Philippines experience than me have a guess as to whether those areas would be affected by this? I'd also be connecting through MNL, so may be affected either way, whether eruptions impact those areas or not.
I think Cebu and El Nido areas will not be affected by Volcanic ash/eruptions.

Flights through MNL may well be impacted at the time you are travelling - so I would be prepared for disruption. Check what your insurance may/may not cover.

I guess at this late stage you can't fly directly into Cebu and by-pass Manila?
jeffrocowboy is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:04 pm
  #11  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: RDU
Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz 5-star, National Emerald Executive
Posts: 158
I would love any insight as well. I am traveling to Manila for a US Veterans disability hearing at the VA regional office (near Pasay). I land on the 29th. His hearing is on the 31st.
bimmerfreak0 is offline  
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:21 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Posts: 1,363
I'm kind of not sure what insights are really possible - there is a level 4 alert - meaning an eruption could happen very soon, or it might not happen.

I would expect the situation will remain uncertain and flights are likely to be disrupted for some time and this may well be unpredictable.

Maybe the only way to be sure to get to Manila might to be take a ferry from Cebu
jeffrocowboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: