Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indonesia / Bali Itinerary and Hotel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Indonesia / Bali Itinerary and Hotel Advice

Hi all - new to this group! I'm planning a trip to celebrate a milestone birthday and anniversary. Want to go to Indonesia to Nihi Sumba and divide the time with somewhere in Bali. Coming from the U.S., so don't have a ton of time - - any recommendations on suggested itineraries for Bali with simple logistics? Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
I don't know how many days you have but if it's around a week I'd suggest you stay in Seminyak a few days if you're not big on the party scene otherwise Kuta. It would be a good base to explore the south of the Island. Ubud is worth a few days for the culture, nature, relaxation.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:45 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
My usual copypasta guidance for Bali from Travelfish, an Australian who lives there.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rjh
My usual copypasta guidance for Bali from Travelfish, an Australian who lives there.

If you are looking for somewhere just a little bit exclusive (once the day trippers are gone) then you could look at Nusa Lembongan. It's an island about 90minutes on a fast boat from Sanur, close(ish) to the airport.

https://wikitravel.org/en/Nusa_Lembongan

For Bali itself:
Ubud was charming some years' ago, but now it's as over-run as Kuta.
I still rate Seminyak as a main-stream resort, something for everybody, for all tastes.
A little quieter with much nicer beach is Jimboran in the south of the island
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:26 am

Ubud is indeed plain utterly awful these days, unless your idea of a relaxing vacation is being constantly -- and I mean constantly -- accosted by massage and transport vendors. At least the copy watch vendors seem long gone.

There are though green and quiet villages a few kms from Ubud where a stay might be more pleasant.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hm, I was in Ubud five times but last time it was >3 years ago. I didn't know that situation got that bad there.

If someone is quite experienced with Bali, could you please recommend a place then, which would satisfy following requirements:
- No more than 1.5h drive from the airport
- Ability to rent 2b great villa in a quiet environment with pool for no more than USD $100/night
- Good, not expensive local restaurants within no more than 10 min walking distance.

All above is (well, better to say was) satisfied when we stayed at Penestanan village in Ubud. But I am open for other options as well.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:34 pm

I don't stay in high-end places, so I can't suggest a specific place, but if you're outside urban Ubud the situation isn't bad. And if the situation three years ago didn't bother you, then the situation today probably won't either. I'm talking degradation I've seen over decades, not years.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by 889
I don't stay in high-end places, so I can't suggest a specific place, but if you're outside urban Ubud the situation isn't bad. And if the situation three years ago didn't bother you, then the situation today probably won't either. I'm talking degradation I've seen over decades, not years.
The village where I used to stay is on outskirts of Ubud, above Blanco Museum and honestly - I never wandered to the town itself - plenty of walks are available in that area. And the place is never luxury - just a standard 2br villa with a dip pool.

Question still remains - if there are places fitting requirement above - please share.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by invisible
Hm, I was in Ubud five times but last time it was >3 years ago. I didn't know that situation got that bad there.

If someone is quite experienced with Bali, could you please recommend a place then, which would satisfy following requirements:
- No more than 1.5h drive from the airport
- Ability to rent 2b great villa in a quiet environment with pool for no more than USD $100/night
- Good, not expensive local restaurants within no more than 10 min walking distance.

All above is (well, better to say was) satisfied when we stayed at Penestanan village in Ubud. But I am open for other options as well.
Canggu would meet your requirements, it used to be rice paddies outside of Seminyak but now is a low-density Seminyak version, with some remarkably good value in accom (generally able to negotiate price these days). The local restaurants are less of a consideration now, as Gojek will deliver food very efficiently and for pennies, so I often just ordered food to the villa even though my villa came with a resident chef.
Old May 8, 2020, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. We just got our flights (assuming all is okay in the world Mar 2021). Logistics wise, we have 1 1/2 days in Bali before we head to Sumba. Should we just take it easy and stay in Jimbaran near the airport or make our way to Seminyak to get a bit more of the action and Bali flavor? Will be traveling from US with a 5 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.