Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Philippines Cebu - Whale Sharks Oslob in AM and back to Airport for 5pm flight?

Old Dec 27, 19, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum

Either driving early AM from Mactan or staying overnight in Oslob is it possible to do the whale shark snorkeling first thing in the morning and then drive back to Mactan Cebu airport for a 5pm flight? So getting to the airport by 2pm? So I guess that means we'd need to leave Oslob by 10am to be safe?

I'm guessing the key is finding a way to ensure we are some of the first to go out at 6am? I've seen some stories where people had someone, a guide do that for them?

Good idea?
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:46 am

I'm very interested in the answer here. Going to PH in early February. Wasn't able to see the whale sharks in Maldives when I went so this might be an option as it looks like the whale sharks are basically guaranteed to be there.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:09 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by Braswch View Post
Either driving early AM from Mactan or staying overnight in Oslob is it possible to do the whale shark snorkeling first thing in the morning and then drive back to Mactan Cebu airport for a 5pm flight? So getting to the airport by 2pm? So I guess that means we'd need to leave Oslob by 10am to be safe?

I'm guessing the key is finding a way to ensure we are some of the first to go out at 6am? I've seen some stories where people had someone, a guide do that for them?

Good idea?
IME that plan works, but I'd stay overnight in Oslob. I did the trip last year in June and i cannot image doing the trip CEB-Oslob and back the same day.

We (2 adults+2kids) stayed at the Aloha (basic budget hotel but clean), which is a 2 min walk to the whale shark place (someone from the staff walked us to the entrance which kind of gave us priority attention, although it was not really busy at the time)
If i recall they start around sunrise (6-7am) (we went around 8am). It feels a bit like a petting zoo, but I still enjoyed the experience. It was slightly less than 1h total, with about 25min in the water (quick briefing, getting epqt, getting on the boat being the rest).

I'd allocate a good 4h30min to get from Oslob to the airport even on a private transfer (we had a lot of traffic coming back into Cebu city, and that's how long it took us with just a quick 15 min stop on the way)
We contracted a private transfer directly at the airport when we arrived, the driver took us there, stayed overnight and took us back the next morning (if i recall ~2500 PHP per way)
I'd do it again. the kids still talk about the experience.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 View Post
I'm very interested in the answer here. Going to PH in early February. Wasn't able to see the whale sharks in Maldives when I went so this might be an option as it looks like the whale sharks are basically guaranteed to be there.
Besides the whale sharks, one thing I only got to know after i had everything booked was the "Moalboal sardine run". Moalboal being ~2h30 from Oslob and Cebu City) So if you have time consider a combined trip to do both.
You can also consider flying to Dumaguete and crossing to Cebu island if you just want to get to Oslob.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by GBM.flights View Post
IME that plan works, but I'd stay overnight in Oslob. I did the trip last year in June and i cannot image doing the trip CEB-Oslob and back the same day.

We (2 adults+2kids) stayed at the Aloha (basic budget hotel but clean), which is a 2 min walk to the whale shark place (someone from the staff walked us to the entrance which kind of gave us priority attention, although it was not really busy at the time)
If i recall they start around sunrise (6-7am) (we went around 8am). It feels a bit like a petting zoo, but I still enjoyed the experience. It was slightly less than 1h total, with about 25min in the water (quick briefing, getting epqt, getting on the boat being the rest).

I'd allocate a good 4h30min to get from Oslob to the airport even on a private transfer (we had a lot of traffic coming back into Cebu city, and that's how long it took us with just a quick 15 min stop on the way)
We contracted a private transfer directly at the airport when we arrived, the driver took us there, stayed overnight and took us back the next morning (if i recall ~2500 PHP per way)
I'd do it again. the kids still talk about the experience.
Have you explored Southern Cebu at all (besides what is being discussed here, i.e. whale sharks)? A few blogs have a suggested travel itinerary. I can't tell if it's worth allocating time or not. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 6, 20, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 View Post
Have you explored Southern Cebu at all (besides what is being discussed here, i.e. whale sharks)? A few blogs have a suggested travel itinerary. I can't tell if it's worth allocating time or not. Any thoughts?
I went there as the whale sharks were on my bucket list and thereafter going to Siargao to surf, also a bucket list item, so I wanted to maximize that as well.
But if I were to do it again i would have stayed at least another day as I enjoyed the landscape (around the water), the water temperature (close to 30 Celsius), locals were also friendly, food was good (fruits from local stalls is phenomenal) and overall just being able to go slower.
So I'd do smtg like this:
1 day - Sleep in Oslob, whale sharks in the morning, Sumilon island in the afternoon. Then go stay overnight in Moalboal
2 day - Following day morning do the sardine run and then go to the Kawasan Falls, and make my way to Cebu City (I did visit the afternoon after Oslob, and can recommend it and also the Radisson Blue which was great)

This summarizes pretty well the stuff to do/see.
https://www.skyscanner.com.ph/news/t...-southern-cebu
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 12:35 pm

Awesome thanks. How did you like Siargao? I have sort of a flexible schedule that I'm still trying to firm up. Already been to Boracay and El Nido.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:51 pm

Siargao was great. But i stayed around the Cloud 9 area to maximize my surf time and did not explore much else. It's more of a surf/hipster/nature type of tourism, as it's not the most obvious destination, still few direct flights, no large hotels/resorts and not overdeveloped yet (it's getting there)
Saw quite a few people doing surf lessons, rent board and a coach who'll guide you to the peak and give you tips on what to do.

Talking of fruit.
had the best mangos, pineapples and avocados (sold out after 1 day) I've ever had. We spent 4 days just eating this for dinner. Lunch we had at the 101 beach club
, which has a beautiful restaurant overlooking the Pacific.
Sandeep1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: