Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cheap way to get to Kuala Lumpur International Airport from KL Sentral?

Old Dec 23, 19, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt

I know about the KLIA Express and I've taken that a few times already. It's not expensive, but I'm looking to do some mileage runs and going to be staying in the KL Sentral area. Obviously the cost will add up over time. So I guess my question is are there other options to get to KLIA from the KL Sentral area that won't take much longer, but will get to KLIA in a reasonable amount of time for less?
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance
If time is not problem - a bus. 1.5-2.5 hours (depending on traffic) and appx 15RM
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
If time is not problem - a bus. 1.5-2.5 hours (depending on traffic) and appx 15RM
I was just thinking and isn't there also a train that is similar to the KL Express, but a bit slower since it stops a few times before arriving at KLIA? What is the price?
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
bus v. KLIA

The bus is the cheapest alternative.
As I recall, its first (only?) stop is KL Sentral. Its a large bus bay under the shopping center within walking distance of several 5-star hotels (Westin?). I took a taxi from there to the Sheraton.
In bound, I took the bus and discovered its used mainly by locals i.e. proof its the best deal. On my rtn, I took the KLIA Express, which was included in my multi day transit tix!
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 View Post
The bus is the cheapest alternative.
As I recall, its first (only?) stop is KL Sentral. Its a large bus bay under the shopping center within walking distance of several 5-star hotels (Westin?). I took a taxi from there to the Sheraton.
In bound, I took the bus and discovered its used mainly by locals i.e. proof its the best deal. On my rtn, I took the KLIA Express, which was included in my multi day transit tix!
How long was the journey for you?
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:38 am
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
You can take the train commuter to the stop before KLIA, then get a ticket for the remaining trip to KLIA. Adds 30 minutes, but a lot cheaper.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh View Post
You can take the train commuter to the stop before KLIA, then get a ticket for the remaining trip to KLIA. Adds 30 minutes, but a lot cheaper.
You mean the KTM line? What is the name of the stop? So I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you, take the line to that station, then get off and swipe my Touch N'Go card, buy another ticket on the same line to KLIA?
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:54 am
rjh

I can't see the map right now on my phone. Basically you follow the same route as the KLIA Express, but take the train that makes more stops.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:57 am
Original Poster

I can't see the map right now on my phone. Basically you follow the same route as the KLIA Express, but take the train that makes more stops.
I think I know what you're talking about, but it would be even more awesome when you have the time to get back to me on this. Thx!
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:07 am
rjh

KLIA Transit, sorry. From KL Sentral buy a ticket to Salak Tinggi and get off. Cross the walkway and buy a ticket for KLIA.

Wait maybe 30 minutes and continue your journey. I did this once, but now just take the 10% discount on the full fare by buying at a kiosk.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:18 am
Original Poster

KLIA Transit, sorry. From KL Sentral buy a ticket to Salak Tinggi and get off. Cross the walkway and buy a ticket for KLIA.

Wait maybe 30 minutes and continue your journey. I did this once, but now just take the 10% discount on the full fare by buying at a kiosk.
Are you saying that there's a discount on the KL Express now? If so, it didn't occurred me that there was one. When I arrived at KUL, the rep was explaining the fare to me and told me the kiosk price is the same.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:22 am
rjh

It's Transit, not Express. To get the overall cheaper fare, you buy two tickets. The first for almost the whole way. The second for the rest of the way.

It makes more sense when you're at the kiosk ticket machine for KLIA Transit. Not KLIA Express machine.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:27 am
Original Poster

It's Transit, not Express. To get the overall cheaper fare, you buy two tickets. The first for almost the whole way. The second for the rest of the way.

It makes more sense when you're at the kiosk ticket machine for KLIA Transit. Not KLIA Express machine.
Ok, thx!
Old Dec 23, 19, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Priority Pass, Star Alliance Gold
less than 1.5 h

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How long was the journey for you?
I don't recall precisely, It was less than 1 1/2 hours, Mind you, I am pretty sure it was a Saturday i.e. depends on other vehicular traffic!
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott
Thereís a local bus to Putra Heights LRT from the airport. The bus fare (10 MYR) includes the transfer to any LRT station (including KL Sentral) making it the cheapest option.

For the KLIA Ekspres, I recommend using the Klook app to buy tickets. Itís a bit cheaper and you can scan the app at the fare gate for direct entry.
tentseller and lsquare like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: