Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding realities of Hanoi for prices for rides, services, food, etc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:38 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by hxhbk
... Bun Dau Hang Khay - this place is right by the Hoan Kiem lake, located about 100 feet back of an alley. The alley is not well lighted but just follow the crowd or walk toward the lighted restaurant (it is on the left side of the alley).
- Cha Ca La Vong ...
- Bun Cha Dac Kim...
- Banh Ghoi Ly Quoc Su ...
- Also on Ly Quoc Su street, Pho Thin ...
... Quan An Ngon on Phan Boi Chau street
Thanks for these. GMaps refs:

Last edited by rjh; Nov 24, 2019 at 7:12 pm Reason: edited info on Pho 10
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
<Phở Thěn Did this move? If so, this is the GMaps location>
Thanks for the correction. I stand corrected.
The place I should have said is Pho 10 (named for the address 10 Ly Quoc Su).
Pho Thin is also another well-known and well-liked pho institution in Hanoi.
rjh likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I have done 2 food tours on two different trips to Hanoi. One was $25. I suggest you do this on your first night there and get to know where you can eat like a local safely. We found amazing local places for $2 a meal and felt comfortable visting there on our own.

I am an advocate of tipping but don't think you need to tip the same total as your massage (as in 100%). A little goes a long way in Vietnam.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I am an advocate of tipping.
I am not. And people who demand/expect tips usually get nothing from me. It is just life philosophy and no need to discuss.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hxhbk
I second a day trip to Tam Coc Bich Dong as previously suggested.
Seems it is min 2.5h ride one way from Hanoi. That's 5h on road only - too short time lift for a day trip.

I was looking at Ba Vi park. Anyone have been there recently?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:33 am
rjh

Originally Posted by invisible
Seems it is min 2.5h ride one way from Hanoi. That's 5h on road only - too short time lift for a day trip.
Tam Coc boats are 1h45m away by good road. We did the boats + rode bikes + saw the temple along the way (missable, but you're on tour) for our day trip. Full day, but got back before dark for sure. YMMV.
I was looking at Ba Vi park. Anyone have been there recently?
Haven't been, but caution that it will likely be cold in winter and about the same travel time, if not more, than Tam Coc.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not. And people who demand/expect tips usually get nothing from me. It is just life philosophy and no need to discuss.
I am im poor countries.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh
Tam Coc boats are 1h45m away by good road. We did the boats + rode bikes + saw the temple along the way (missable, but you're on tour) for our day trip. Full day, but got back before dark for sure. YMMV.

Haven't been, but caution that it will likely be cold in winter and about the same travel time, if not more, than Tam Coc.
Hm, google says that it is almost the same time drive to Ba Vi than to Tam Coc. Wonder why, considering that first is much closer if looking at the map.

How much your trip cost and what was logistics? Wikivoyage page says that it is 120K per boat and the same per person for a boat trip. No info about bikes.

BTW, how did you avoid the nasty pushing you buy something? At TA there are bunch of stories saying that not only boat rowers push you to buys something but ask for tips as well.

P.S. Did some reading more. No, not going there and if going, would go to Trang An instead.

Last edited by invisible; Nov 25, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I am im poor countries.
I echo this, but i can sympathise with invisible's position. I try to divert tips from the greedy and calculating.

Halong Bay is an odd one. It's surprisingly, quite unexpectedly, beautiful - though I have no doubt that there are scams galore among those organising tours to the place. Though I think it's perhaps unwise, and a tad elitist, to disparage tourism spots simply because they are popular/crowded - simply try to pick a time when they are less crowded.

As for walks, I always enjoy a short one taking in the Tran Quoc pagoda, then continuing on to west Lake (bus/Grab back), or completing the circle around Truc Bach. I guess it wouldn't be too much of a strain, once reaching West Lake, to continue round the lake. But i'm lazy.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:36 am
rjh

BTW, how did you avoid the nasty pushing you buy something? At TA there are bunch of stories saying that not only boat rowers push you to buys something but ask for tips as well.
Maybe it's just me, but I rarely have this problem, here or anywhere. Usually a hand "wave off" is all that's needed. (Not addressing the rest of you post since you said you aren't going.)
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjh
Maybe it's just me, but I rarely have this problem, here or anywhere. Usually a hand "wave off" is all that's needed. (Not addressing the rest of you post since you said you aren't going.)
I never have a problem either. Just one or two firm but polite nos and they move on to their next target.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I do recall a boat rower was insistent about getting a larger tip when we had gone to a temple. I can't remember which one. My guide had advised me to get out of the boat before tipping. The lady boat rower got all nasty and said I needed to give her more. I just said... that's more than enough and turned to walk away. I'd given 30 or 40% tip as she had taken 45 minutes to get us there and 45 to get us home. I guess this is why the guide advised to get out of the boat so if they were going to get nasty I could just walk away.

If you are going to tip NOTHING. I suggest you be prepared in some instances.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

If you are going to tip NOTHING. I suggest you be prepared in some instances.

I'd hate to see this dissolve into thread about tipping cultures. But it's pertinent to point out that the expectation of tips, and in particular the expectation of silly levels of tipping, can only be born and encouraged from the profligacy of earlier visitors.

The poorer cousins of those reckless tippers are vulnerable to pressure from vendors, cave in, and so the cycle continues.

If only we could convince visitors that handing $5 to a taxi driver in a society where passengers normally round up fares to a convenient number, is a pernicious form of corruption. Better to distribute largesse through a charity operating in the country: that might even be tax deductible
:D! likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:42 am
rjh

Finally - where to meet New Year
Is there a place where one should go and have good time to meet/celebrate New Year? Ideally - without 500 000 people next to you, but with the nice atmosphere.
No one addressed this, I don't think. I'd suggest the plaza in front of St Joseph's, though I'd probably stay out of the cold and inside Eden coffee, on one of the upper floors, adjacent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.