Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur

Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
So I think I've settled on seeing Malaysia after Singapore and before I go to Japan. So maybe a couple days in KL and then one of the above, Penang or Kuching. Any suggestion between the two?
Penang for sure. Food, heritage district, food, nice island, food...you get the idea.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
So I think I've settled on seeing Malaysia after Singapore and before I go to Japan. So maybe a couple days in KL and then one of the above, Penang or Kuching. Any suggestion between the two?
Depends what you want to do. Both are nice cities but different. Kuching is a much smaller city compared to Penang but most of Kuching's attractions are outdoors - national parks, orang utan sanctuary, hiking. Penang is about the world heritage colonial centre (Kuching has colonial architecture although on a much smaller scale), temples, OK beach. You can hike up Penang Hill (signs aren't that clearly marked but Google Maps work fine).
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:18 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
If you go to Penang, stay in a heritage place like 23 Love Lane and get a higher end room. Noordin Mews is nice, but location isn't great.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nov11
Depends what you want to do. Both are nice cities but different. Kuching is a much smaller city compared to Penang but most of Kuching's attractions are outdoors - national parks, orang utan sanctuary, hiking. Penang is about the world heritage colonial centre (Kuching has colonial architecture although on a much smaller scale), temples, OK beach. You can hike up Penang Hill (signs aren't that clearly marked but Google Maps work fine).
Can you hold orangutans in the sanctuary? That might shift my thoughts but overall sounds like Penang is more interesting.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:10 pm

Can you hold orangutans in the sanctuary? That might shift my thoughts but overall sounds like Penang is more interesting.
No. You won't be near the orangutans (maybe minimum of 10 meters away). They can get close to you but you can't approach them. They are semi-wild orangutans and they are being trained to survive in the wild. Sighting/appearance during feeding time isn't guaranteed, especially during fruiting season. It's a good sign if they aren't there during feeding time - that just means they are in the forest looking for fruits themselves.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

No. You won't be near the orangutans (maybe minimum of 10 meters away). They can get close to you but you can't approach them. They are semi-wild orangutans and they are being trained to survive in the wild. Sighting/appearance during feeding time isn't guaranteed, especially during fruiting season. It's a good sign if they aren't there during feeding time - that just means they are in the forest looking for fruits themselves.
Ah okay so there is no photo opportunity similar to what there is in Chengdu China with the panda?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:15 pm

Ah okay so there is no photo opportunity similar to what there is in Chengdu China with the panda?
You can take a photo of an orangutan itself or you can take a selfie with the orangutan behind you. It really depends on how close they approach you/other tourists. I was standing at a spot and he was maybe 5 meters away as he came over to my area to eat his bananas. You won't be holding or touching them if that's what you are thinking.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

You can take a photo of an orangutan itself or you can take a selfie with the orangutan behind you. It really depends on how close they approach you/other tourists. I was standing at a spot and he was maybe 5 meters away as he came over to my area to eat his bananas. You won't be holding or touching them if that's what you are thinking.
Fair enough. Penang and KL it is

Decided to do 3 nights in Penang, take the Aeroline Bus to KL, and then 3 nights in KL before moving on to the next place.

Last edited by Sandeep1; Dec 19, 2019 at 2:33 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh
If you go to Penang, stay in a heritage place like 23 Love Lane and get a higher end room. Noordin Mews is nice, but location isn't great.
Looked at that one, looks good.

Have you heard of Cheong Fatt Tze - Blue Mansion? 14 Leith Street, George Town

OR

SAVV Hotel - 39C Pengkalan Weld, George Town

Both of those look solid. Most important to me is being able to walk to the place of interest.

Last edited by Sandeep1; Dec 19, 2019 at 3:43 am
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:17 am
rjh

Blue Mansion has lots of tourists. It's an actual attraction, which may or may not be ok with you.

SAVV location isn't very good, IMO, on a busy street.

Seven Terraces is another option. Haven't stayed there, but passed it a lot. Ok location. More modern than heritage. E&O is worth a look, but too big for me.

23LoveLane ticked all the boxes, but don't get a mews room. In these heritage places you want a room in the main house.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:20 am
rjh

By the way, if you want to interact with orangutans, check out the Singapore Zoo.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh
Blue Mansion has lots of tourists. It's an actual attraction, which may or may not be ok with you.

SAVV location isn't very good, IMO, on a busy street.

Seven Terraces is another option. Haven't stayed there, but passed it a lot. Ok location. More modern than heritage. E&O is worth a look, but too big for me.

23LoveLane ticked all the boxes, but don't get a mews room. In these heritage places you want a room in the main house.
23LoveLane has a room called the Suite Heritage. I'm guessing that's the one you're referring to?

E&O and 7 Terraces look nice but slightly out of my price range. I'm going to be in Asia for a month so can't afford to go luxe each night.

Update: Decided to go with The Edison Georgetown (right around the corner from 23LoveLane.

Last edited by Sandeep1; Dec 19, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:32 pm
rjh

Straits Eclectic. I took a picture of the key. I think the other one is similar.

IMO, 23 Love Lane is better than 7 Terraces/E&O. I mentioned them since there are generally higher end people (than me) here. I got upgraded by luck at both Noordin Mews and 23 Love Lane.

Added: I looked the available rooms up on Agoda. My recollection is that they're one of a kind, but some show multiplies available. Anyway if you get a big, non mews room, you should be fine. Killer location.

Last edited by rjh; Dec 19, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.