Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Northern Myanmar

Northern Myanmar

Old Nov 6, 19, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Northern Myanmar

Iíll be traveling from Northeast India into Northern Myanmar overland. Anyone have any recommendations for stops in northern Myanmar on my way down to Mandalay via bus?
Old Nov 6, 19, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by CraigCultureCapital View Post
Iíll be traveling from Northeast India into Northern Myanmar overland. Anyone have any recommendations for stops in northern Myanmar on my way down to Mandalay via bus?
Sounds exciting. How long of a trip is it?
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’ll be traveling from Northeast India into Northern Myanmar overland. Anyone have any recommendations for stops in northern Myanmar on my way down to Mandalay via bus?
Dude, your instagram is crazy. You definitely got a follow from me. I also sent you a PM.
seavisionburma likes this.

Last edited by eneq; Nov 6, 19 at 2:17 pm
Old Nov 6, 19, 6:54 pm

Programs: most of them
it used to be that some areas were off limits to tourists. So you might want to check into that
Old Nov 7, 19, 3:06 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Which crossing are you arriving through? Tamu or Rihkawdar?
If you haven't done your evisa yet - make sure you use the official government evisa site - quick approvals and straight forward.

I'll try to chime in with some suggestions once I know your entry point...
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Tamu crossing. Iíll leave Guwahati on Nov 18 for Imphal then to the crossing. Need to be in Bagan on Dec 2. So Iíve got say a week of free time.

ill be applying for my evisa soon.

thanks for the follow!
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:03 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Tamu entry pretty much funnels you Southwards down through Sagaing region towards Mandalay

Recently I did a long trip by train around the country including the overnight 22 hour slog from Mandalay, through Sagaing, Shwebo and then north all the way to the end of the rail line to Myitkyina.

Myitkyina and the nearby river confluence are worth a look. Bhamo, south of Myitkyina also gates rated well although I didn't visit myself this trip..

The train trip was an adventure in itself. A first class sleeper in a 4 berth room cost a princely USD 9.

Perhaps consider getting the bus south as far as Shwebo, then switch to Bus to Myitkyina, then take the sleeper train right back to Mandalay

Last edited by seavisionburma; Nov 8, 19 at 5:56 am Reason: edited to fix mobile formatting
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by eneq View Post
Dude, your instagram is crazy. You definitely got a follow from me. I also sent you a PM.
Nice shout out, thanks for pointing this out - I looked it up as well - fantastic images.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:58 am

Tamu crossing. Iíll leave Guwahati on Nov 18 for Imphal then to the crossing. Need to be in Bagan on Dec 2. So Iíve got say a week of free time.

ill be applying for my evisa soon.

thanks for the follow!
If you need help with the e-visa process, PM me. But its pretty straightforward. I assume you're on the approved list of nationalities. Myanmar is miles ahead of neighbouring countries for their evisa system.

Will you make it down to Yangon? If so let me know, my finger is on the pulse here, so to speak
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seavisionburma View Post
If you need help with the e-visa process, PM me. But its pretty straightforward. I assume you're on the approved list of nationalities. Myanmar is miles ahead of neighbouring countries for their evisa system.

Will you make it down to Yangon? If so let me know, my finger is on the pulse here, so to speak
yes so Iíve got a week doing bagan, mandalay, Lake Inle with some people then Iím heading south to Kuala Lumper, will be stopping in Yangon then southern Myanmar as well so all the suggestions welcome here as well.
Old Nov 10, 19, 4:38 am

yes so Iíve got a week doing bagan, mandalay, Lake Inle with some people then Iím heading south to Kuala Lumper, will be stopping in Yangon then southern Myanmar as well so all the suggestions welcome here as well.
PM me before you hit Yangon if you want a local contact/info. Lots happening around town first half of December.
For southern Myanmar - If you're hitting Tanintharyi Division (Myeik/Kawthoung/Islands) let me know also, I've spent years there.
Good luck with your trip over the border and onwards, sounds interesting and will be an adventure!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: