FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   Northern Myanmar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1994302-northern-myanmar.html)

CraigCultureCapital Nov 6, 2019 3:45 am

Northern Myanmar

I’ll be traveling from Northeast India into Northern Myanmar overland. Anyone have any recommendations for stops in northern Myanmar on my way down to Mandalay via bus?

Jaimito Cartero Nov 6, 2019 4:04 am

Originally Posted by CraigCultureCapital (Post 31706887)
I’ll be traveling from Northeast India into Northern Myanmar overland. Anyone have any recommendations for stops in northern Myanmar on my way down to Mandalay via bus?

Sounds exciting. How long of a trip is it?

eneq Nov 6, 2019 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by CraigCultureCapital (Post 31706887)

Dude, your instagram is crazy. You definitely got a follow from me. I also sent you a PM.

glennaa11 Nov 6, 2019 6:54 pm

it used to be that some areas were off limits to tourists. So you might want to check into that

seavisionburma Nov 7, 2019 3:06 am

Which crossing are you arriving through? Tamu or Rihkawdar?
If you haven't done your evisa yet - make sure you use the official government evisa site - quick approvals and straight forward.

I'll try to chime in with some suggestions once I know your entry point...

CraigCultureCapital Nov 7, 2019 4:17 am

Tamu crossing. I’ll leave Guwahati on Nov 18 for Imphal then to the crossing. Need to be in Bagan on Dec 2. So I’ve got say a week of free time.

ill be applying for my evisa soon.

thanks for the follow!

seavisionburma Nov 8, 2019 4:03 am

Tamu entry pretty much funnels you Southwards down through Sagaing region towards Mandalay

Recently I did a long trip by train around the country including the overnight 22 hour slog from Mandalay, through Sagaing, Shwebo and then north all the way to the end of the rail line to Myitkyina.

Myitkyina and the nearby river confluence are worth a look. Bhamo, south of Myitkyina also gates rated well although I didn't visit myself this trip..

The train trip was an adventure in itself. A first class sleeper in a 4 berth room cost a princely USD 9.

Perhaps consider getting the bus south as far as Shwebo, then switch to Bus to Myitkyina, then take the sleeper train right back to Mandalay

seavisionburma Nov 8, 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by eneq (Post 31708982)
Dude, your instagram is crazy. You definitely got a follow from me. I also sent you a PM.

Nice shout out, thanks for pointing this out - I looked it up as well - fantastic images.

seavisionburma Nov 8, 2019 5:58 am

Originally Posted by CraigCultureCapital (Post 31710708)
Tamu crossing. I’ll leave Guwahati on Nov 18 for Imphal then to the crossing. Need to be in Bagan on Dec 2. So I’ve got say a week of free time.

ill be applying for my evisa soon.

thanks for the follow!

If you need help with the e-visa process, PM me. But its pretty straightforward. I assume you're on the approved list of nationalities. Myanmar is miles ahead of neighbouring countries for their evisa system.

Will you make it down to Yangon? If so let me know, my finger is on the pulse here, so to speak :cool:

CraigCultureCapital Nov 9, 2019 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by seavisionburma (Post 31714738)
If you need help with the e-visa process, PM me. But its pretty straightforward. I assume you're on the approved list of nationalities. Myanmar is miles ahead of neighbouring countries for their evisa system.

Will you make it down to Yangon? If so let me know, my finger is on the pulse here, so to speak :cool:

yes so I’ve got a week doing bagan, mandalay, Lake Inle with some people then I’m heading south to Kuala Lumper, will be stopping in Yangon then southern Myanmar as well so all the suggestions welcome here as well.

seavisionburma Nov 10, 2019 4:38 am

Originally Posted by CraigCultureCapital (Post 31720784)
yes so I’ve got a week doing bagan, mandalay, Lake Inle with some people then I’m heading south to Kuala Lumper, will be stopping in Yangon then southern Myanmar as well so all the suggestions welcome here as well.

PM me before you hit Yangon if you want a local contact/info. Lots happening around town first half of December.
For southern Myanmar - If you're hitting Tanintharyi Division (Myeik/Kawthoung/Islands) let me know also, I've spent years there.
Good luck with your trip over the border and onwards, sounds interesting and will be an adventure!