Reload this Page >

6 days in Taiwan

6 days in Taiwan

Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many
6 days in Taiwan

Hi all,

Going to Taiwan next April with my kids (pre-teen) and looking for some recommendations.

We land and take off from TPE and will have a car (dropoff location not decided yet, could be either TPE or on the way and take the train back there).
The first two days will be spent in Taroko to hike the Zhuilu Old Road notably. That is already booked.
Last day in Taipei.

So what to do in between?

Not too tempted by Sun Moon Lake because too crowded. We wished to also see Yushan mountains, though a bit concerned by the travel time to drive there from Taroko.

Open to any suggestions

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM
If you already have 2 days booked, I would do a day trip somewhere, maybe Hualien, and then spend the rest of the time in Taipei. Driving around will just eat up so much of your time, so I recommend staying in one place for longer. Taipei is the cultural hub of the country and has so much to see. Visit some of the night markets. Night markets are an amazing experience, and a must-see during a visit to Taiwan IMO. Your kids would probably enjoy the Ximending night market in the eastern part of Taipei. Its a massive shopping area, and is the largest pedestrian area in Taiwan. Its also arguably one of the culture hubs of the city. Since its more tourist friendly, there will be more food options for less-adventurous palates. If you want to experience a more authentic night market, my favorite is the Tonghua night market in the Da'an District. However, you can't go wrong with many of the others. There's so many with different atmospheres and food options. You could easily spend all 6 nights visiting a different night market. Some other recommendations:

- Taipei 101.
- Minatures Museum of Taiwan.
- Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall.
- The Bao'an and Confucius Temples.
- Hike Elephant Mountain.

If your kids are into sports, going to a baseball game would be cool. They have a professional league, CPBL, and the season will have started by the time you're there. Taiwan is such a great country. Have fun!
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: most of them
I agree that if you haven't done Taipei before it's worth spending time there. I went to the zoo a couple of weeks ago and thought it was fairly good for a zoo.

The drive to Taroko and back is fairly straightforward. Roads are good. Lots of tunnels. It will take a few hours depending somewhat on whether you are there on a weekend or during the week.

On my first visit to Taiwan I had a guide/driver who handled the driving. We went from Taipei to Geelung, spent the night there and then drove down the coast the next day including some time at Yehliu Geopark which is pretty cool. It was a photography tour so we spent a long time there shooting. We took our time driving down to Hualien stopping when there was something that looked like a good shot. We also went to a museum along the way that I don't recall too well. After overnighting in Hualien we went to Taroko the next day and hiked around a bit and drove around some. Then we went back to Taipei arriving in the evening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.