Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan day trips

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Taiwan day trips

Hi, will be in Taipei for a week in mid November, and would like to explore the country a bit further afield.

Any recommendations for day trips from Taipei?

Thanks,

RRZ
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Ha, I'm going to be in Taipei around the same time. Only for a few days though.

For day trips, I would recommend:

- Taroko National Park. Can be accessed by bus, private car, or the Taroko Express train from TRA. The Taroko Gorge is the main attraction in the park, and its super pretty.
- Tainan. Tainan was the capital of Taiwan for over 200 years. It has tons of history, temples, and religious sites to see. Just a note though, Tainan doesn't have anywhere close to the public transit Taipei has.
- Yushan National Park. Has Yushan Mountain, the highest peak in Taiwan,
- Taitung. Its a beach city on the southeast coast. Kinda hard to get to though.

EDIT: Disregard these last two suggestions. Definitely not feasible for a "day trip."

Last edited by eneq; Nov 6, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The hot springs. You can also go to one of the seaside fishing villages north of Taipei for fish and seafood.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: most of them
There's a quite a bit do to around town in a week. How do you plan to get around for these day trips?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by glennaa11
There's a quite a bit do to around town in a week. How do you plan to get around for these day trips?
Would prefer public transit or a guided tour
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Tamsui - end station on the red metro line so super easy to get there. You can easily spend an entire day in Tamsui - use Youbike to get around. Best avoided on weekends where it can get really touristy/crowded. Easily combined with Bali on the other side of the river from Tamsui.

Beitou/Xinbeitou - hot springs.

As recommended above the coast line north of Taipei is pretty neat as well with several interesting places/spots.

Those places suggested above (Taroko, Tainan and Taitung) are definitely great places to visit but not for day trips from Taipei. Too far! You could do Tainan in 1 day with the HSR train from Taipei - but if going there you should spend a night or two.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:02 am

Taroko/Hualien is an easy day trip from Taipei, and a great place to visit if you like nature. You just need to leave Taipei on a morning train.
RaginPlainsman likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
more Taiwan questions

I am piggy-backing on this query with my own questions for a one-week stay?
- any recommended day trips by bicycle?
- I see its possible to take a ferry to the mainland. Is this a day trip?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Take the MRT up to Tamsui, grab a youbike and bike along the coast. Not really a day trip, but you could spend an afternoon doing this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ferry to mainland China? Not a good idea right now, regardless of the length of trip.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: most of them
Pretty sure there is a ferry to the mainland from one of the islands that Taiwan controls. It's basically right off the coast of the mainland. I saw a story about the people who live there shortly before the election. I think making knives out of old munition shells is on of the main local crafts. Used to get a lot of mainland visitors, but not so much these days. I can't recall the name of the island though off the top of my head.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Pretty sure there is a ferry to the mainland from one of the islands that Taiwan controls. It's basically right off the coast of the mainland. I saw a story about the people who live there shortly before the election. I think making knives out of old munition shells is on of the main local crafts. Used to get a lot of mainland visitors, but not so much these days. I can't recall the name of the island though off the top of my head.
Kinmen
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why would you do that? You can easily spend a week in Taipei/Taiwan. Plenty of things to do so no reason to visit mainland China also.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
The easiest bike ride is probably the Riverside ride which goes from downtown Taipei near Shilin to Tamshui. It is pretty flat and follows two rivers. There is a nice temple on the way for a break and then explore Tamshui at the end. https://www.mytaiwantour.com/product...6-walking-tour There are rides for more experienced riders too. I like riding up on the northeast coast. https://michaelturton.blogspot.com/2...-ne-coast.html Great views but it can get crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.