Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

how strict are SE Asian countries and LCCs re: proof of onward travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how strict are SE Asian countries and LCCs re: proof of onward travel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

It happened to me always when flying on one way tickets.
Nok Air DMK-SGN had to show them return ticket (it was on VietJet )
Jetstar HKT-SIN had to show them return ticket (return was on Tigerair)
Thai Airways LHR-BKK had to show them return ticket (flying on one way award tickets)

It's hard to assume which airline will check it. In the worst case you will miss the flight and you will have to buy round trip ticket. It's on you what you decide to do.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Earlier this year (end of April), D7 asked my wife and I (travelling on Canadian passports) for proof of onward (PoOT) travel from Malaysia. Wasn't asked by immigration authorities in Thailand or Malaysia (2x) for PoOT for on that trip, nor IIRC did any of the airlines - other than D7 again possibly asking for PoOT from HNL.

Back in early 2016, WE asked for PoOT at BKK for a flight to RGN (I remember as we wanted to keep return from Burma a bit flexible but had to buy MDL-BKK tickets at the airport).
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I think we are beating a dead horse. It seems obvious.

1. Airlines frequently ask for proof of onward travel.
2. Immigration officials sometimes ask for proof of onward travel.
3. Both of the above are unpredictable.
4. It's simple to book a return ticket and then cancel within 24 hours.
tentseller likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
I think we are beating a dead horse. It seems obvious.

1. Airlines frequently ask for proof of onward travel.
2. Immigration officials sometimes ask for proof of onward travel.
3. Both of the above are unpredictable.
I would change those a little bit.
1. Airlines frequently ask for proof of onward travel unless you have a physical visa already in your passport (in my experience that is all they want)
2. Immigration officials often do not ask for proof of onward travel.
3. It is somewhat predictable, based on the location and airline you are flying.
4. The easiest solution is just to have a "ticket" prepared in advance, whatever that means.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I think there are two different issues here - the airline and immigration.

When I had oneway tickets in Asia (or the return leg of a regional ticket) I have been nearly always been asked for an onward ticket by the airline agent - either at the desk or at the gate (e.g. transiting airside in ICN to PEK, so I didn't see a checkin agent, I was paged at the gate.

Immigration, on the other hand asks for onward travel plans rarely - most notable ones asking are China on a TWOV, Viet Nam on visa free travel (we get 15 days, so day want to see if we leave the country within that period) But this might be very passport dependent, some passports (holders) probably are more prone to questions.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by 5khours
Not so much on this last one. Many countries and airlines don’t have a rule about requiring a 24 hour cancellation.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Not so much on this last one. Many countries and airlines don’t have a rule about requiring a 24 hour cancellation.
Yes, but all the big three US airlines have code shares into virtually ever major international airport, and these flights can all be easily booked online and cancelled within 24 hours.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I would change those a little bit.
1. Airlines frequently ask for proof of onward travel unless you have a physical visa already in your passport (in my experience that is all they want)
2. Immigration officials often do not ask for proof of onward travel.
3. It is somewhat predictable, based on the location and airline you are flying.
4. The easiest solution is just to have a "ticket" prepared in advance, whatever that means.
Let me respond, I have 500+ entry/exit stamps from SE Asian countries in my four year old passport.

1. It is unrelated to whether you have a physical visa.
2. I have never been asked for proof of onward travel by immigration officials. When I am not in an ABTC or Fast Track lane, the person in front of me gets asked to show an onward ticket 40 to 50% of the time by immigration officials.
3. Not in my experience. It's somewhat predictable based on other criteria, but not based on location or airline.
4. Agree, but a) a lot of people would be uncomfortable using a "pro-forma" ticket, and b) booking (and then cancelling) a cash/award ticket on one of the big three US airlines mobile apps is a lot easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.