Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

questions about traveling in S.E. Asia with only a carry-on

questions about traveling in S.E. Asia with only a carry-on

Old Oct 9, 19, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Thanks for all of the feedback. The small scissors will be staying home. Haha.

I'll be flying around SE Asia on a variety of LCC, but I should be able to stay very close to the 7 kg limit. I'm going to use a gym bag rather than a roller, which will save me about 2 kg in weight. I expect there to be a bunch of bus, train, and even boat rides, so my usual roller seems less practical. Even on my short Singapore/Malaysia trip last year, the roller made mobility a hassle at times.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen SQ weigh bags in the jetway and force some business class passengers to check items that were clearly size compliant.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I'm guessing I'll run into that problem a time or two along the way, but the gym bag should have me in better shape than my max-size carry-on, which always fits but sometimes gets questioned by GAs here in the Americas.
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Scissors with rounded tips are fine. I've had my regular scissors taken away in SIN and one other place - can't recall now.
Weight can/will be an issue on LCC, no problem with legacy carriers.
I usually do 2 weeks in Asia, visiting both hot and cold countries ( typical 5-6 countries, 5-7 cities) with just a carry-on.
Be sure the middle weekend is in a laundry-friendly city like BKK.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Scissors with rounded tips are fine. I've had my regular scissors taken away in SIN and one other place - can't recall now.
Weight can/will be an issue on LCC, no problem with legacy carriers.
I usually do 2 weeks in Asia, visiting both hot and cold countries ( typical 5-6 countries, 5-7 cities) with just a carry-on.
Be sure the middle weekend is in a laundry-friendly city like BKK.
Thanks. I'm definitely taking the laundry situation into consideration. I'll be in BKK, and a few hotels along the way claim to have self-service laundry facilities.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
In Vietnam I had a wine corkscrew taken away. With the language barrier it took quite awhile to understand what they were looking for. When they finally opened the right inside pocket to take it out I couldn't believe that wasn't going to fly. I've had one in my bag forever, and had to laugh as they took it away.
I had a corkscrew taken away in Costa Rica (also where my husband had his shaving cream taken away -size compliant but they didn't allow it). I made them give me back the holder the corkscrew was in (I can use it with another corkscrew) and they gave me side-eye but did it. These days, I travel with a cheap waiter's corkscrew that has the foil "knife" (which is BLUNT) removed - and I know that can be an issue because in places where security has wanted to look at my corkscrew, as soon as I point out there's no "knife", they allow it.

Good luck!
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:07 pm

The LCCs can be a real pain when it comes to size (often 20" so smaller than standard US 22") and weight - and the expense of of a forced check-in quite significant. You can avoid the weight limit by putting heavy stuff in your coat pockets and/or wearing some of it.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:25 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Thanks. I'm definitely taking the laundry situation into consideration. I'll be in BKK, and a few hotels along the way claim to have self-service laundry facilities.
In a place like SE Asia I wouldn't even waste you time.

You can have your clothes washed and folded for like 2USD a kilo same day.

Find a local laundry somewhere and just drop the stuff off, and enjoy your day. Come back either later that day or the next morning and it will be all done.

SE Asia is the only place where I get all my clothes washed before I come home. So much easier to unpack my clean clothes back into their drawers, and hangers when I get back.
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
In a place like SE Asia I wouldn't even waste you time.

You can have your clothes washed and folded for like 2USD a kilo same day.

Find a local laundry somewhere and just drop the stuff off, and enjoy your day. Come back either later that day or the next morning and it will be all done.

SE Asia is the only place where I get all my clothes washed before I come home. So much easier to unpack my clean clothes back into their drawers, and hangers when I get back.
Thanks. Sounds great. No problems with theft? I'll mostly be sticking to (inexpensive) T-shirts, jeans, and shorts on this trip, but I hate trying to replace clothes while traveling. Thanks again.
Old Oct 9, 19, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks. Sounds great. No problems with theft? I'll mostly be sticking to (inexpensive) T-shirts, jeans, and shorts on this trip, but I hate trying to replace clothes while traveling. Thanks again.
In my ~20 trips to SEA I have never had an issues with the laundry places I've used. Also, be careful of some touts, but if you are so inclined you have can suits and shirts tailored at extremely reasonable prices. Think ~50USD for a wool suit.
Old Oct 9, 19, 8:29 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
As someone who did 150+ legs annually on LCC due to NGO work around Asia:
  • I use a lightweight backpack which I max out at 7kg.
  • I also have a Scottvest that I put the heavy items into. I have a love hate relationship with this vest as the design and the pockets are great but they use very crappy zipper which necessitates careful zipping while keeping tension on the zipper. I have seen other traveller wearing a vest that was not as stealth and had their vest weighed as well.
  • I wear cargo pants/trousers with the extra pockets that zip off to become shorts.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
In Manila I've had a portable umbrella and (I kid you not) inchlong SAFETY PINS confiscated.

The carry-on brings back memories of flying as an air courier in my early travel career. The deal with that is that they took your entire baggage allowance and all you got was the carry-on for the typically 2-week Asia trip. It really forced me to travel light.

Search this Thread