Search

fast boat from Phnom Penh to Vietnam?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
fast boat from Phnom Penh to Vietnam?

I'm trying to plan a multi-country S.E. Asia tour. While I like the idea of traveling from Phnom Penh to Vietnam by boat, I don't necessarily want to spend several nights and $400+ doing so. (I'm traveling alone, and many of the better cruise options are priced per person with double occupancy.)

Anyone know any good, fast options for the above route? I don't necessarily want to take a speedboat, but I'm trying to figure out what the fastest comfortable options might be. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:24 pm

You can check out Hang Chau speed boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc (Mekong Delta, Vietnam).
joe_miami likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dinhoecotour
You can check out Hang Chau speed boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc (Mekong Delta, Vietnam).
Thanks for sharing this interesting info.
Had only done the Ho Chi Minh - Phnom Penh route by bus and of course there are the flights.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by quarryking
Thanks for sharing this interesting info.
Had only done the Ho Chi Minh - Phnom Penh route by bus and of course there are the flights.
We were tempted, then i read this salutary report on Tripadvisor:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac..._Province.html

....Fun trip, until the engine heat exchanger started emptying its water in the cargo hold and on the passenger deck, causing the boat to sink. We ended up on an island in the Mekong. Had a view under the engine hood, obviously duct tape and tie wrap engineering. My luggage and that of other people is ruined. Company refused to reimburse. This time it were only damaged goods, next time it may be worse. Taxi driver told me it happened before, so be warned and steer clear of this mess.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I don't necessarily want to spend several nights and $400+ doing so.
I think you mean several hours and $40+ right? Seems like you have an extra zero in the price and extra days in the journey.

Is a boat a requirement? Why not fly or go by bus?

Qatar airways is around $110 on a Boeing 777.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I think you mean several hours and $40+ right? Seems like you have an extra zero in the price and extra days in the journey.

5th Freedom Flight ?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg

No, I like the idea of going by boat, but most of the options I ran across were for two- or three-night cruise tours rather than a quick A to B trip down the river. (I'll be flying all over the region, so this would be something different.)

On a related note, if I want to go from Phnom Penh to Vietnam by boat, is it true that I'll need to mail off my passport to get the Vietnam visa in advance rather than use an E-Visa? Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a related note, if I want to go from Phnom Penh to Vietnam by boat, is it true that I'll need to mail off my passport to get the Vietnam visa in advance rather than use an E-Visa? Thanks.
Always difficult to answer questions from holders of passports different to mine, or to people I've travelled with. But the e-visa should certainly work with major land borders: Chau Doc isn't a border crossing, the formalities are carried out under the authority of the Song Tien border post - the official name, if you need to put something on an application form, although (confusingly) it's also known as Vinh Xuong.

But if you have a couple of days in Phnom Penh then it's easy to get a visa through the Vietnamese embassy/consulate there. It's a well trod path, and if you throw enough money at it you can get sorted in a day. It'd probably be $10/20 or so extra to get the express service.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. The Chau Doc part might be where I went wrong, since it's not on the list of approved ports of entry for the e-visa. (Song Tien is.)

The Vietnam consulate in NYC allows online applications for a visa, with the visa sent back by mail. I need to research further, but after a quick read, it's not clear if this is considered an E-visa or a regular visa.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PS I don't know if you have come across the Canby Publications guide to all things Cambodia related. It's the Cambodia travel bible.

http://www.canbypublications.com/cam...factsstats.htm
joe_miami likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Vietnam consulate in NYC allows online applications for a visa, with the visa sent back by mail. I need to research further, but after a quick read, it's not clear if this is considered an E-visa or a regular visa.
It sounds like a straightforward consular visa. If you want reassurance, to get he visa thing sorted, it might be a good idea: though I imagine you're going to have to pay for that reassurance.

E-visas are (relatively) inexpensive and pretty easy to apply for: and the Phnom Penh embassy route is easy, too.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We wanted multiple entry so did the Vietnam visa by email (looseleaf visa mailed back) at $135 + fedex per person. The evisa is single entry only, but only $25, done online. The Vietnam Visa thread here has the official links in the wiki (useful because google pulls up TONS of fake sites and even for "experienced" travelers, can be daunting to sort through).
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:47 am

No, I like the idea of going by boat, but most of the options I ran across were for two- or three-night cruise tours rather than a quick A to B trip down the river. (I'll be flying all over the region, so this would be something different.)
So what are you looking for? Two/three night cruise or day trip A to B? I'm a bit confused. Day trip should be somewhere around $40 plus visa costs. Also the boat doesn't go from downtown PP to downtown HCMC, you will have bus transfers.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by quarryking
5th Freedom Flight ?
Yes and it's great.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:07 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Travelfish has this:
Three transport companies provide this service along with the more upmarket alternative of Victoria Hotel, Chau Doc’s own service which potential guests can book on the hotel website.
I don't want to rip off their content if it's paywalled (I pay for their content), so that's all I'll excerpt here.

If you're travelling throughout SEAsia, it's worth the cost for a subscription. (I have no financial interest.)
--
Rich

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.