FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Asia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia-460/)
-   -   visit other countries from Bangkok? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1983144-visit-other-countries-bangkok.html)

joe_miami Aug 15, 2019 1:54 pm

visit other countries from Bangkok?

I travel extensively but I’ve only been to Asia once — Singapore last fall. From SIN, I took a two-day trip to KUL, which was both fun and cheap thanks to discount carriers.

I’m thinking of taking a relatively last-minute trip to BKK next month as a combination vacation and status run. I’d have to fly in and out of BKK, but I’d have 10 days on the ground. Are there any good/easy/cheap trips to other countries in that region, perhaps for a day or two each?

Thanks for all feedback.

ajeleonard Aug 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Bangkok is a major base for low cost airlines. Air Asia, Lion Air and Scoot all have local Thai subsidiaries based at DMK. You can usually pick up flights to nearby countries like Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam for about US$40 each way if booked in advance.

joe_miami Aug 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Thanks. Are there also cheap fares between those countries (e.g., BKK-Cambodia, Cambodia-Vietnam, Vietnam-BKK), or do they generally require BKK as an origin or destination?

Jaimito Cartero Aug 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31420444)
Thanks. Are there also cheap fares between those countries (e.g., BKK-Cambodia, Cambodia-Vietnam, Vietnam-BKK), or do they generally require BKK as an origin or destination?

Well, SIN, BKK/DMK, KUL are all low cost hubs. Some airlines are based in one airport, and are spoke and hub to many locations.

Vietnam, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia are all countries that I think are nice, in addition to the countries you’ve already been to.

Checkout www.skyscanner.com and perhaps www.momondo.com to check out some possibilities for LCC’s. Remember, you often need to catch the sales to get the really good prices. Try to get non-stop flights, if you can.

joe_miami Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks very much.

invisible Aug 15, 2019 10:41 pm

In terms of coverage KL/KLIA is better due to be AirAsia hub - you can pretty much go anywhere in SEA without connection. At DMK you will other budget carriers available as well.

One notice - SIN is hub, but not necessarily cheap fare location. Airport departure tax in SIN is 10x higher compared to airport in Malaysia. Not sure about DMK.

Daawgon Aug 16, 2019 9:37 pm

My favorite close to Thailand is Luang Prabang, Laos - very easy/cheap from Bangkok (Air Asia). If you decide on Vietnam, the best low cost carrier is Vietjet (much like Air Asia) and Vietjet out of major VN cities can get you most anywhere in E. Asia.

invisible Aug 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Daawgon (Post 31425225)
My favorite close to Thailand is Luang Prabang, Laos - very easy/cheap from Bangkok (Air Asia).

Do you remember what was prices? From here in Singapore seems it is very expensive (for regional standards) to get there. Flight from SIN to SGN for example you can find for $100 return during promo times, but good luck finding flight to LP cheaper than $400....

joe_miami Aug 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Very interesting and helpful.

Davvidd Aug 17, 2019 6:35 pm

You can even fly to Siem Reap from BKK. I think there are about 5 flights per day. Siem Reap Cambodia for Angor Wat temple and Tonle Sap river.

dinhoecotour Aug 17, 2019 8:44 pm

You can check out Vietnam or Vietnam and Cambodia in 10 days.

mahlerfan Aug 17, 2019 10:30 pm

Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia are all a short flight away, and well worth a visit. . I like Bangkok Airways--a little pricier than Air Asia, Lion Air, etc., but good service--meal and use of their lounge at BKK. US passport holders can get a visa on arrival in Cambodia and Laos, and e-visas are available for Myanmar and Vietnam.

jphripjah Aug 19, 2019 4:07 am

It's well worth it to fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat if you've never been there. I'd recommend 2-3 nights there.

seavisionburma Aug 19, 2019 6:21 am

Myanmar is well worth a side trip from Bangkok if you have never been there before.
The government e-visa is fast to process and easy to apply for - make sure you go through the official site ($50 for tourist visa) and don't get sucked in to a third party visa website.
Flights to Yangon from both BKK and DMK are numerous - LCC's basic fare from around $40-50 one way, full service fares for around $70-90
Accommodation in Yangon (compared to a couple of years ago) is now more affordable with a lot more supply across the various levels of hotel standards.
Taxis are cheap (Grab), food is cheap and there is a lot to see.

2-3 days in Yangon is worthwhile and will give you a good first time overview.

joe_miami Aug 19, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks again for the replies. Very helpful.

Two additional questions:

- Are there LCCs out of both BKK and DMK or only/mostly the latter?

- I’ll likely be traveling on a Finnair ticket in J, with AA Plat/OneWorld Sapphire status plus Priority Pass and an Amex Platinum card. How are the lounges in BKK and DMK? If I use those airports as a hub(s) to hop around the region, will I be able to take a shower at the airport, if necessary? Can one access all international terminals at those airports (e.g., to visit lounges) or only one’s departure terminal?

Thanks very much.