Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Late night Kuala Lumpur arrival and credit card questions

Old Aug 14, 19, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt

It's been 10 years since I was last in Kuala Lumpur. I'm thinking of going back. I'm looking at a flight with MU, but it's going to arrive at 00:55. That's really late and I'm not sure there will be any trains from KUL to KL Sentral. I'm thinking of staying at either the Aloft or LM near KL Sentral. What's the cheapest way to get there?

Is cash still king in KL? Last year when I went to SIN, I only recalled using cash at the hawker centres so Singapore made a lot of progress. I wonder if I can get by with a credit card in KL or I'll need to get lots of cash?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Probably taxi at that hour. There are bus services but they may stop running too.

As for cash vs credit card, depends on where you an to spend you money. The cheap places where locals go to is still very cash. Good news is that Malaysia is very cheap (cheaper than Bangkok these days, which is getting really pricey).
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
last train at 1am https://www.kliaekspres.com/plan-buy/schedule/
taxi is not too expensive, about same as 2 train tickets
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Probably taxi at that hour. There are bus services but they may stop running too.

As for cash vs credit card, depends on where you an to spend you money. The cheap places where locals go to is still very cash. Good news is that Malaysia is very cheap (cheaper than Bangkok these days, which is getting really pricey).
How much will it cost to take a taxi to KL Sentral? Taxi accept credit cards? Does Grab operate in KL?

I never thought I would hear that Bangkok is getting pricey. Guess nothing ever last.
Old Aug 15, 19, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
How much will it cost to take a taxi to KL Sentral? Taxi accept credit cards? Does Grab operate in KL?

I never thought I would hear that Bangkok is getting pricey. Guess nothing ever last.
Yep. Grab is very much a presence in most urban areas of Malaysia. Earlier this year, there were free rides offered to/from KLIA. I do believe Grab started in Malaysia. Think taxi fare to/from KLIA can be as low as MYR 90 for a budget taxi though there may be a late night surcharge.

Taxis are generally cash only and I don't remember if you can pay with CC using Grab. I don't think so. You'd have to use the private car service to pay with CC.

Growing middle class at least in Bangkok is what has jacked up prices. Even eating in the food courts of a Bangkok Tesco Lotus is up. THB 100 for a meal (so prices are quite high especially when you adjust for portion size). Only places you can eat cheap seem to be street food and some places that may be dodgy for digestive systems not inoculated with the local flora. On the other hand, street food in Malaysia......
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:37 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Grab is your solution. I would suggest NOT to use local taxis at all and not give them a single dime - their extortion tactics of 'broken meter' and beating up Grab drivers deserve them to go the way of Dodo.

Download Grab app, add your credit card and you are fine. KLIA has huge posters promoting Grab and has dedicated pickup/dropoff places.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 15, 19, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Grab is your solution. I would suggest NOT to use local taxis at all and not give them a single dime - their extortion tactics of 'broken meter' and beating up Grab drivers deserve them to go the way of Dodo.

Download Grab app, add your credit card and you are fine. KLIA has huge posters promoting Grab and has dedicated pickup/dropoff places.
I've actually never used Grab before. I'm assuming I can add a foreign credit card to the app and it'll just behave like Uber? Meaning I won't have to deal with the driver over money?
Old Aug 16, 19, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
I've actually never used Grab before. I'm assuming I can add a foreign credit card to the app and it'll just behave like Uber? Meaning I won't have to deal with the driver over money?
Correct
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Correct
That's awesome. You think the Grab drivers would try to take the long route and ramp up the bill? I know Uber can review the route that I took if I suspect something is wrong.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance
That's awesome. You think the Grab drivers would try to take the long route and ramp up the bill? I know Uber can review the route that I took if I suspect something is wrong.
Never seen this. For KLIA-KL according to TA forum charges should be RM65 +10-12RM toll charges
https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowT...rsekutuan.html

From that thread:

I'm a Malaysian and i suggest Grab over the taxi because if you have a midnight flight you are going to be charged 50% extra on top of your fees as taxi DOES have midnight charges. If you reach the counter maybe 11.50pm they are going to take their own sweet time at the counter and then charge you with the midnight fare sometimes . I would suggest you to go over with Grab. It cost approx RM65-75 excluding toll . Just order a Grab and wait at the Arrival . If you have time and want to save money you could also take the bus which goes to KL Sentral / One Utama. The ticket for the bus called Skybus is only RM11-14 per person but they leave on time . If you buy over the counter the bus ticket it would be additional RM2 per person compare if you pre book online .
Link for the Skybus Schedule , etc .
https://www.skybus.com.my/
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:58 am
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
I was in KL a few weeks back. I used Grab extensively and sometimes I get a local black/yellow taxi thru Grab.

it cost me RM70 for a Grab trip from KL Sentral to KLIA.The express train from KLIA to KL Sentral is RM60.
Old Aug 16, 19, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017 View Post
I was in KL a few weeks back. I used Grab extensively and sometimes I get a local black/yellow taxi thru Grab.

it cost me RM70 for a Grab trip from KL Sentral to KLIA.The express train from KLIA to KL Sentral is RM60.
Wow, the KL Sentral airport express is RM60? That's insane! I would expect pricing like this in Hong Kong, not Kuala Lumpur.
Old Aug 16, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Wow, the KL Sentral airport express is RM60? That's insane! I would expect pricing like this in Hong Kong, not Kuala Lumpur.
KL Ekspres is RM60, has a/c, free wi-fi, and takes 28 mins to KL Sentral.

A "budget" taxi/Grab costs RM70-85, takes 45-55 mins (or longer, depending upon traffic), has no wi-fi, and potentially weak a/c (depending upon the car.)

For one person traveling alone, the train is a bargain, IMO.
Old Aug 16, 19, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
KL Ekspres is RM60, has a/c, free wi-fi, and takes 28 mins to KL Sentral.

A "budget" taxi/Grab costs RM70-85, takes 45-55 mins (or longer, depending upon traffic), has no wi-fi, and potentially weak a/c (depending upon the car.)

For one person traveling alone, the train is a bargain, IMO.

To put the bargain into context, the bus to KL Sentral takes around 30 minutes longer than the train, and the ticket is one-quarter of the price of the train ticket.
The bus is no longer wifi equipped, but the air conditioning is just fine.

To be fair to the train there are (small!) round-trip discounts, family discounts, and something off if you pay with a visa contactless card.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i've never had a Grab driver play those games. As you say, you (and HQ) can monitor the route taken, so there's a strong incentive to play things by the book

Most of the time drivers appear so busy that the focus is getting the next fare.
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: