Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indonesia - Komodo Island Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Indonesia - Komodo Island Dilemma

So my plan for next summer was to visit Singapore and Indonesia, 2-3 weeks. Was planning to visit Bali and Komodo Island. Of course, that plan has been nuked since Komodo will be closed in 2020. Would you recommend I postpone this trip until 2021? I'd hate to skip Komodo Island as I've heard it's pretty amazing.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
So my plan for next summer was to visit Singapore and Indonesia, 2-3 weeks. Was planning to visit Bali and Komodo Island. Of course, that plan has been nuked since Komodo will be closed in 2020. Would you recommend I postpone this trip until 2021? I'd hate to skip Komodo Island as I've heard it's pretty amazing.
I'm not sure how any comment on here can help you make up your mind. Bali is pretty amazing (in parts ), but only you know if Komodo is your key to holiday happiness.

What I would suggest is that Indonesian closing and opening dates can be fluid concepts. And the notion of open/closed has can have a number of interpretations.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I was only vaguely aware of the closure. If Indonesia closed the park to tourist especially from cruise ships, and make it more difficult to access, there wouldn't be so much wear. What my wife and I did in early 2013 was fly to Labuan Bajo, and take an old fishing boat to Komodo for an overnight trip. Employed 3 former fishermen and probably netted them more than actually fishing. The number of tourists who visit this way would be much lower, and probably provide more employment.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:16 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
...visit Bali and Komodo Island. Of course, that plan has been nuked since Komodo will be closed in 2020. Would you recommend I postpone this trip until 2021? I'd hate to skip Komodo Island as I've heard it's pretty amazing.
Why do you want to visit Komodo? Dragons? They're also on Rinca and Padar, which apparently will remain open.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjh
Why do you want to visit Komodo? Dragons? They're also on Rinca and Padar, which apparently will remain open.
The dragons yes but the island also has incredible snorkeling, some of the best in all of Indonesia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.