Reload this Page >

Taiwan Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Day 5
Was the busiest day so far we had. As it was still cold, overcast and foggy we decided not to do Taipei 101 in the morning like all the blogs suggest to do and asking the hotel staff too suggested us not to as well. This also made us cancel our plans to climb Elephant mountain to see Taipei 101 and Taipei city views.
So we set off on an adventure to go see the early blooming Cherry Blossom trees at the Wuji Tianyuan Temple. We caught the Metro all the way to Tamsui, then a bus to the temple(which there were extra buses put on). At first it seemed that the trees hadn't started to blossom yet after going around the whole temple, but we noticed a lot of people still going further into the gardens so we followed them. There as you walked further in was a whole lot of Cherry Blossom blooming trees. I have travelled to Japan missed them there, then Seoul Korea and missed them there finially seeing them in Taipei .
After finially making our way back in a taxi as the line for the buses were 2 hours long, we ventured off to the National Palace Museum in the afternoon. Which took a few hours to do. By this time the sun was setting and we wanted to do Taipei 101 at sunset, but that never happened. By the time we got back to Taipei 101 it was dark, so we had no choice then as we only had this day to go up there. This was a bad idea as it was still foggy outside and it started to sprinkle with rain, this caused Taipei 101 to close their outside observation deck on level 91. So we didn't see much of any view up there, so its not worth going up the tower if its a cold foggy day guys.
After coming back down and taking a few photo's out the front we had dinner at the famous Din Tai Fung restaurant in Taipei 101 center bottom floor. There is a restaurant here in Sydney Australia and I have never tried it, but let me just say that the food here is worth the wait in line ^
Last stop was to try to find a bar to have a drink to wind down from a long day, but after trying to walk around the area we decided to go back to the hotel and call it a night as we had another busy day the next day.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Day 6
Getting up at 5am for our last day trip to Taroko Gorge. Caught the metro at 6am to Taipei Central for 706am train to Hualien (later found out we could of boarded the train at Nanang, given wrong information by hotel staff. was told we could use our ezycard but that was the wrong information also). arrived on Taipei main station using our ezycards, about to board the train and the conductor told us we need to buy proper reserved tickets. So we had to miss that train and catch the faster train which cost $440NT at 740am.
Arrived at Hualien station and decided to go by taxi everywhere instead of hiring motorbikes, we din't know where we were going and at least the taxi driver can take us to all the main areas that we wanted to go. We negotiated a price of $1400NT between the 2 of us which we had to share the taxi with one other Chinese guy but he was friendly enough so it didn't matter.
The taxi driver took us to Hualien beach then showed us around the Taroko information Center to tell us where we were going for the day and the history of the Gorge. Then we set off firstly going along the Gorge, putting our hard hats on and walking through the tunnels of the road taking in the scenery around us. We ended up at Tianziang and had lunch there, then the driver took us to one of the hot springs sites Weshan Hot Springs which is officially closed to public, you go along a trail, across a suspension bridge, then you can jump the fence but its a step dirt trail along a rock face to get down so be very cautious when walking down. Once your down there you can go into the very hot hot springs pool in the cave which is way too hot or lay in the swallow pool down the bottom of it which mixes in with the cold water from the Gorge. This is so worth the hike to get down there as its so peaceful and not many tourists around. We stayed there relaxing for about an hour then made our way back up to the taxi, but be warned coming back up take rests every so often. It's a steep incline getting up all the steps and if you don't take rests your body becomes jello and you become light headed (also due to the carbon dioxide breathing in from the springs), this is coming from a fit person,
We made it back to the taxi and stopped along the way back we stopped at a few suspension bridges (Yue Fei Pavilion) and lookout points to see the gorge, was pointed out a trail through a tunnel but exhausted from the hiking trail down to the hot springs so we didn't get out to do that trail.
We finally made it back to the Eternal Spring Shine and took some photo's around the area then went to Xincheng Taroko Station to buy our train tickets back to Nangang. We caught the train from Hualien Station and arrived back around 8pm that night. Packed our bags for our flights the next morning then freshened up to go out to a bar.
We ended up just going out for 1 drink as we were tired and had to get up at 3am for our flights the next morning.
We set out to do everything in our itinerary for the 6 days we visited and we only missed 1 or 2 things but all in all it was a good trip to Taiwan.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:30 am

Nice, glad to hear!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rusell
...was pointed out a trail through a tunnel but exhausted from the hiking trail down to the hot springs so we didn't get out to do that trail.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Baiyang Trail. I would have advised you to do the trail. It's flat and easy, and it leads to a little valley with several waterfalls coming down from the high hills and coming together to form one river. I call it "Little Rivendale". There's also a cave with a "curtain waterfall" inside that you can walk through if you choose. The cave is better for hot summer days, but the other sights are well worth the easy hike. I think it's only about 1.5km each way, and as I said, flat. You'll want to have a flashlight, as some of the tunnels you pass through are long and dark.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Skyman65
I'm assuming you're talking about the Baiyang Trail. I would have advised you to do the trail. It's flat and easy, and it leads to a little valley with several waterfalls coming down from the high hills and coming together to form one river. I call it "Little Rivendale". There's also a cave with a "curtain waterfall" inside that you can walk through if you choose. The cave is better for hot summer days, but the other sights are well worth the easy hike. I think it's only about 1.5km each way, and as I said, flat. You'll want to have a flashlight, as some of the tunnels you pass through are long and dark.
I'm not sure if it was the Baiyang trail, but looking at the photos of the entrance it looks like it was.
I think that the carbon dioxide that we breathed in from the hot springs and the long walk back up the hill affected my friend really badly and myself as we both felt light headed and dizzy so when the cab driver was telling us about the trail I wasn't really listening.
If i knew it was that trail I would of got out and did the trail. I also missed out of seeing the cliffs, but the driver said to us it was either going to the hot springs or seeing the cliffs.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Taiwan Questions

Hi all -
I'm a frequent(ish re 6X) visitor to Taiwan for vacation and have a few questions for future trips and a few questions about what I have experienced to date. Let's start off with past experiences. Is everyone in Taiwan really as nice, generous and kind as the folks that I have met? I just returned from a Donggang, Kenting and then Kaohsiung trip and it was a bit surreal how nice everyone was - I say a bit b/c the niceness seems to be on repeat for every trip. People seem to want to "adopt" me and become my tour guide. Anyway, is it just me (I'm just a normal middle aged guy) or is this common for everyone? It is truly a wonderful experience and outside of Taiwan, I would not trust a stranger the way I do there. Am I simply still naive after close to 2 million miles and 61 countries???

Now to the next trips questions:
TL: DR Lantern Festival-type assistance

What is the Taiwan Lantern Festival like and is it something to plan for? I've watched videos and saw what looked to be an amazing time at the 2019 festival in Pingtung where Donggang is located. There is a neat display for the lantern festival at the Dapeng Bay National Scenic Area. I'm not sure what to even ask: Hotels? Prices (re jacked up for the event), etc. I'm not adverse to crowds and am flexible on accommodations. I feel as if I have been missing a wonderful event and could use some tips/pointers/etc. 2020 location Taichung. What about the the 2020 Pingxi Sky Lantern Festival outside of Taipei? (accommodations in Shifen?) Is one "better" than another? What about the mid-autumn festival in Sept? Also, I've done my research (blogs/past event reports) but always turn to FT for its opinions/suggestions.

Donggang was neat and I recommend a stop if one is flying into KHH (HKG-KHH is a breeze) and heading to the beaches/parks in Kenting. I spoke to a local while visiting the Golden Donglong Temple - well sort of - he spoke in Chinese and handed me a pamphlet while pointing to something on a wall that mentioned the Wang Yeh Boat Burning Festival. I read about the festival and now, similar to to lantern festival, I want to experience this - It looks to be a wonderful event. Knowing that the festival is once every 3 yrs, is this a plan early type of event? Is it something that someone can show up at in Donggang and find a room? (understanding that other places also have festivals, Donggang appears to be the epicenter) Any tips/suggestions would be wonderful.

Cheers
Old Jul 13, 2019, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, everyone in Taiwan is very friendly - to foreigners. They are very concerned about a foreigner's perception of Taiwan, and what visitors to have a great experience. Some things can be a little annoying like when I am speaking to someone in Mandarin and they insist on speaking back to me in English, so we end up with me as the white guy speaking Mandarin and the Taiwanese person speaking English, but I just learned to smile about it.

Those festivals tend to be VERY crowded. You could probably do Pingxi as a day trip from Taipei via train or bus, but be prepared for crushing crowds of mostly Taiwanese plus bewildered tourists caught up in the crush. I have over a decade of experience going to Taiwan 2-3x a year, I have family there and close friends, and not one single person has agreed to accompany me to Pingxi during the lantern festival due to the crowds, no matter how many times I've asked.

You could take the train to Pingxi in the morning, do Shifen with a local English speaking driver and guide, and then back to Pingxi for the lanterns before the train back to Taipei.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are going to be here during Lantern Festival, are a bit adventurous, and want the ULTIMATE Taiwan cultural experience, you've got to head to Yanshui (outskirts of Tainan) for their Beehive Fireworks Festival. It is the most other-worldly event I have ever experienced.

You'll need to come prepared--prepared to be pelted with rockets and firecrackers. This means you will need a full-face motorcycle helmet (you can buy a really cheap one in Taiwan). Then use duct tape to attach a towel skirt around the bottom to protect your neck. Note: the towel and all your outer layer of clothing needs to be natural fibers (cotton is best). Any synthetic fibers will catch fire. Don't ask me how I know this. Your entire body should be covered from head to toe and out to your fingertips.

The festival takes place all through the small town, but starts at the central temple, and the crowds and parades fan out from there. As you follow the crowds as they march their gods around the town, they will occasionally stop, a garage door will open, and a large A-frame structure will be wheeled out into the middle of the street. On this structure, at the top, you will see lots of firework mortars aimed at the sky. On the sides are multiple rows of thousands of rockets aimed...horizontally--directly at the crowd. They light the fuse, and the show begins with the mortars firing into the sky. After a few minutes, the fuse burns down to the side rockets, and the real fun begins. If you are standing in the line of fire, you will get pelted fast and furious. It's an incredible rush, but yes, it hurts. You can stand back a few rows, and let the front people take the bulk of the fire, but it is still exhilarating at the back. During the assault, everyone is jumping up and down like they're at a rave.

As you walk around the town, there are fireworks going off everywhere. The town is filled with smoke. It honestly feels like you're in a hot war zone, except no bullets. There are guys walking around swinging loooong strings of firecrackers that you have to jump over to avoid as they swing around your feet like a snake. While I was there, my friend joined a group that was being assembled in the street where many people bunched together as another man wrapped the mob in a long string of firecrackers. The group got larger and larger, and more firecrackers where wrapped around them. Finally, the fuse was lit, and they all jumped up and down as the explosions went off around them. I was content to watch from the side.

There's also a huge outdoor market in the town during the festival with lots of Taiwan street food to taste.

Just search on Youtube for Yanshui beehive fireworks (or 鹽水峰炮) to get a feel of the madness. I've gone to this festival twice, and if you like adventure, this is well worth the trip.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Is everyone in Taiwan really as nice, generous and kind as the folks that I have met?
I would have to say no on this.

1. How welcoming a country is, there are always bad apples.

2. How well you are treated depends on your ethical background, i.e. if you are a non-Asian foreigner in Asian countries, your experience will be generally better than an Asian foreigner.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
I would have to say no on this.

1. How welcoming a country is, there are always bad apples.

2. How well you are treated depends on your ethical background, i.e. if you are a non-Asian foreigner in Asian countries, your experience will be generally better than an Asian foreigner.
Yeah, unfortunately, SE Asians or anyone with "dark" skin generally don't receive the same level of friendly that white foreigners experience.

Soft racism is still rampant in Taiwan.

I recently had a young Taiwanese girl tell me that in America, you can't go outside after 7PM because "the black people will shoot you". When I told her that was nonsense, she insisted it was true, telling me that her mom had taught her that. Thanks, mom. Stop watching TV and travel some more.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:35 am

Is everyone in Taiwan really as nice, generous and kind as the folks that I have met?
Do you speak/understand Mandarin? We heard some pretty bad things in Taipei which caused some major issues for our group (Asian foreigners that understand Mandarin).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This is a timely thread, which I will dutifully hijack

I'll be going to Taiwan for the first two weeks of December. Are there any events I should be aware of that might be worth going to? I have absolutely zero plans at the moment.

Also, I assume it should be reasonably easy to get around without Chinese language skills, right? From the research I've done, it seems much (most?) directional signage will be in English -- is that correct?

Any basic tips would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: most of them
I've been a couple of times and will return in October. In the major tourist places you will have no problem. Taipei is a great city and easy to navigate via public transport.

I took the HSR to Tainan on my most recent visit and found it easy to get around on foot for the most part in addition to some public transport. Going to Kaohsiung on my next trip.

I also have an ex-pat friend there who is a freelance photographer (among other things) and he took me on a couple of photo tours. It was certainly helpful to have his expertise and Mandarin skills in addition to his driving us around. But Taiwan is quite doable for some one who doesn't speak the language.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
All -
Great info. I don't mind crowds at all so the festivals sound like a good to go (e.g. Time Square NYE 2000 was quite the event). As for fireworks, FRA and DUS on NYE where there is much drunken craziness with fireworks so that isn't too much of a worry either. Pingxi is around my b-day so that is the top of the list right now. Still hoping for Boat Burning Festival info

The "we'll be nice" because he is an American info is something to ponder. I've "felt" that in other places, but it was more of a let's be nice so the American will spend more $$$ (e.g. Dublin). It does not feel that way in Taiwan. I've also heard racist comments while in Asia - and in English - but never in Taiwan.

BocaS - are you in TW Feb 2020 for the next festival? That seems to be my goal at this point based on the dates but fireworks will be on my list for the future.

@ M60: My experience with language is that someone who speaks Mandarin will stop and help. YMMV but that has been my experience even in smaller cities e.g., Donggang and Yilan City, someone can communicate. I also bring point it books/picture dictionaries so I can point at a picture and communicate that way. I've used this one for years (
Amazon Amazon
)(older edition had laminated pages, newer version is paper). As for tips, pack hiking shoes, go to Taroko gorge, rent a scooter, and zip around to the different trails and to see the park.

Cheers

Last edited by thegrailer; Jul 15, 2019 at 4:30 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

BocaS - are you in TW Feb 2020 for the next festival? That seems to be my goal at this point based on the dates but fireworks will be on my list for the future....
Unfortunately not, I am headed there this weekend because it's just not hot enough in Southern California.

In the winter, I am usually there only during Chinese New Year, which will be very early this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.