Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Indonesia-BDO Bandung airport, domestic jet flights moving to KJT Kertajati airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indonesia-BDO Bandung airport, domestic jet flights moving to KJT Kertajati airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

Last month it was announced that domestic Indonesian jet flights will move as of July 1, 2019 from Husein Sastranegara International Airport to the regional Kertajati International Airport.

International and prop flights will still fly into BDO, the city airport.

As with a lot of announcements with airports in Indonesia, a delay wouldn’t be too surprising. I have a flight next month, and am not looking forward to a long drive out of town to this airport that is about 100km outside of Bandung. Almost as far as Jakarta.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:36 pm

I have flown to KJT. it was middle of nowhere. nice airport, though.
for info, YIA in southern Jogjakarta will also gradually replace the currently used JOG airport

Last edited by blueferrari; Jul 3, 2019 at 5:53 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I remember the first time I flew into Bandung's airport. I suffered a moment of panic as we were descending, yet there was no runway in sight. It popped up at (what seemed like) the very last second before touchdown.

The flip side is that it is a very convenient airport, way more convenient than (for example) transferring to CGK. I will miss flying domestically from BDO. Let's hope that this project, like many others in Indonesia, suffers interminable delays....
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikew99
I remember the first time I flew into Bandung's airport. I suffered a moment of panic as we were descending, yet there was no runway in sight. It popped up at (what seemed like) the very last second before touchdown.

The flip side is that it is a very convenient airport, way more convenient than (for example) transferring to CGK. I will miss flying domestically from BDO. Let's hope that this project, like many others in Indonesia, suffers interminable delays....
The other airport has been open for about a year, so it looks like no serious delays. Since I hadn’t been notified by QZ, I was hoping that might be the case, but have gotten emails and text messages now about the change. Looks like a $60 Grab ride when I checked the other day.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:09 am

Flip Side

The flip side is that it is a very convenient airport
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
What's the strategy behind the new airport?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olivrate
The flip side is that it is a very convenient airport
Convenient to whom? Not for me. It would cost $4-5 to get a taxi/Grab to the airport. Now it’s going to be 10-15 times more expensive

They have spent a lot of money improving the Bandung airport the last 5-10 years, and now, sorry, you need to drive to the middle of nowhere to take flights.

This was not a long announced type thing, the government just decreed it in May, for the end of June! My flight was early afternoon, and now is early morning. Plus you need to budget 2-3 hours to get there.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It is anticipated to attract passenger from Cirebon and its vicinity area. It is hoped that the airport could be reached from Bandung by an hour with a currently built highway.

Next year on, hajj and umrah pilgrimage embarkation will be built (maybe, you'll never know)

Well too bad it's not properly supported by mass transport and not geographically advantageous either.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueferrari
It is anticipated to attract passenger from Cirebon and its vicinity area. It is hoped that the airport could be reached from Bandung by an hour with a currently built highway.

Next year on, hajj and umrah pilgrimage embarkation will be built (maybe, you'll never know)

Well too bad it's not properly supported by mass transport and not geographically advantageous either.

That's along the lines i was thinking.

But the airport should come online to coincide with upgraded, and extended, rail and road networks. High(er) speed rail, and airport services via Bekasi, would put CGK in easy reach of Bandung, with the new airport opening up a much wider catchment to economic development.

In the end Bandung could, in pracical terms, be served by three airports - which would be grossly inefficient: but it will take a brave politician to close down BDO -Husein Sastranegara to commercial use.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:41 am

There is a bus that government will run it for free for 1 year. The DAMRI bus leaves from Bandung to KJT. The trip itself takes about 3 hours.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
it was build using massive debt and no synergy planning.
it is now a big empty white elephant so the governments have to do anything to make this not look like a total waste of money.
Even if it's mean forcing people to travel 3+ hours for sub 3 hours flight.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sandyph
it was build using massive debt and no synergy planning.
it is now a big empty white elephant so the governments have to do anything to make this not look like a total waste of money.
Even if it's mean forcing people to travel 3+ hours for sub 3 hours flight.
Yep, seems pretty silly. Leaving at 5am for a 8:30am flght, for a 2 hour flight to Bali.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: QR Gold, WY Gold, TK Elite, EY Silver,
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Yep, seems pretty silly. Leaving at 5am for a 8:30am flght, for a 2 hour flight to Bali.
If you're brave enough you can always take a connecting flight via SUB from BDO.
They swapped different flights such as SUB and JOG using ATR72 now, but none to DPS unfortunately. For domestic, only props can now fly to and from BDO, on the other side, new flights will be added according to the news.

Yes, as I live in Bandung I also think it was a silly decision to move most of flights especially before the highway completion, even more considering the actual infernal traffic situation between Bandung and Jakarta makes any other option inconvenient. Hopefully, as announced by government, they will be able to complete the highway from Bandung to KJT by end of 2020.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Or I could fly to KUL and then to DPS. Probably cheaper, once I factor in a driver to KJT.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Or I could fly to KUL and then to DPS. Probably cheaper, once I factor in a driver to KJT.
I seem to remember Malindo offering this as a routine connecting flight at friendly fares. But will they also be shoved out to the new airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.