Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Layover of 6 h 55 min in Jakarta

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Layover of 6 h 55 min in Jakarta

I am traveling GA business class and have a layover of 6 h 55 minutes in Jakarta. I arrive in the afternoon when I can easily check into an airport hotel, but would prefer to take the train to the city. What do you guys think? If I do take the train, where can I go and what can I see around the train station downtown?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
I am traveling GA business class and have a layover of 6 h 55 minutes in Jakarta. I arrive in the afternoon when I can easily check into an airport hotel, but would prefer to take the train to the city. What do you guys think? If I do take the train, where can I go and what can I see around the train station downtown?
My experiences of Jakarta is that the airport was very smooth. However, if you happen to get caught up in a big crowd or something I have heard it can take hours to get through security and immigration, even in business.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It depends on the day and time you’re there. Weekdays can have really horrible traffic. I haven’t ridden the train into town, but if it’s not working, you’d need to alot 1-2 hours each way for a taxi.

While Jakarta is pretty safe, there have been sporadic reports of thefts on public transport. Personally, I wouldn’t leave the airport on a less than 8-9 hour layover.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by michael_v
You're going to lose two - three hours in the faff of arriving ad departing. The train will get you into the city in 40 minutes or so, but calculate another 40 minutes to cope with transferring to the airport station, buying tickets and synching with the schedule.

So not worth the hassle, unless you simply seek some inexpensive activity to fill your time.

Taxi or Damri bus opens you up to undependable timings, so not a good idea.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:10 am

let's say you're taking airport train both ways, it easily takes 2 hrs off your layover. another 1 hr for buffer before boarding time. 30 mins for terminal/train station changes.
there's still 3 hrs and 25 mins you can use, depending what you would like to.

the airport train station in Jakarta is Sudirman Baru / BNI City (same place)
near the station, not much to see. you need to navigate further for some some sightseeing
you can go to National monument, Istiqlal mosque, Jakarta cathedral for sightseeing (all near each other)
you can go to Plaza Indonesia / Grand Indonesia for shopping, eating etc, sightseeing around the Bundaran HI
... I don't know ...

thing with Jakarta is, if you knew exactly you want to do, it's always doable to do anything. if you don't, you'll end up confused in the traffic and thinking "what have I done?"
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:52 am

Traffic in jkt is hectic. Not worth the risk to see jakarta with that little time in my opinion. Not that charming of a city but I've only been there once.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
This idea sounds stressful with multiple potential failure/complication points. I'd much rather load up the kindle and explore GA's lounge coffee or bar offerings.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
As one data point, here are some notes I kept from my last visit to Jakarta in January 2019:

3:25 Arrive into T3 terminal
3:35 Arrive SkyTrain
3:43 SkyTrain departs T3
3:54 SkyTrain arrives Stasiun Bandara
4:20 Train departs Stasiun Bandara
5:06 Train arrives Stasiun BNI City
5:15 Grab Car arrives
5:45 Arrive Aloft Hotel

10:43 leave aloft hotel in grab car
10:54 arrive BNI city
11:00 complete ticket purchase
11:21 train departs
12:06 Train arrives
12:10 arrive SkyTrain
12:19 SkyTrain departs for T2
12:21 arrive T2 SkyTrain
Xxxx Arrive CX check-in

I wasn't meticulous with my timings (I put a placeholder for my arrival at the check-in desk but forgot to fill it in). Regardless, you can see that it took me over 2 hours to get from the airport to my hotel in central Jakarta, and a little less than 2 hours to get back the next day. Unfortunately, a 7-hour layover does not guarantee enough time for a visit to central Jakarta unless there are 1-2 specific things you know that you want to do (visit a site, eat at a restaurant, or buy a gift) and are happy doing only those 1-2 things.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I suggest you either stay at the airport or go to a nearby hotel for some rest/pool/relaxation...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I would just stay at the airport.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Is the train above ground or underground? What about using the train simply as a sightseeing vehicle. When arriving at the last station simply turn around and head back to the airport.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by edsh
Is the train above ground or underground? What about using the train simply as a sightseeing vehicle. When arriving at the last station simply turn around and head back to the airport.
The train is above ground. You can use it to sight see, but other than a few main office buildings as you approach BNI City, you won't see much. You mostly see a lot of the poorer living conditions of those by the railway. I used the train when I was in Jakarta a few months ago, but would not really recommend it for sightseeing unless you really want to see some aspect of Jakarta.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Is there free wifi throughout the airport or just in the lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.