Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the sea water safe near Penang?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Is the sea water safe near Penang?

According to reports, there is high lead pollution levels in the sea water off the northern coast of Penang
Old May 16, 2019, 9:26 am

It's not great swimming in any case. Too muddy.
kokonutz likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Would the Park Royal Penang be in this affected area ?
Old May 25, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Is the sea water safe near Penang? According to reports, there is high lead pollution levels in the sea water off the northern coast of Penang
Safe enough. Useful context for a localized scientific sample like this article - swimmers would need to somehow ingest the heavy metals while swimming, or you'd have to be eating seafood caught from that area. Both cases highly unlikely.

Originally Posted by quarryking
Would the Park Royal Penang be in this affected area ?
Parkroyal is several miles to the ENE on Batu Ferringhi. Areas where the samples were taken are subject to significant & constant natural water movements. And again, you'd have to be swallowing seawater in some volume or eating a load of seafood caught in a specific area to be affected.

I can think of far worse sea areas to be swimming in off the straits....
Old May 26, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I would think the jellyfish are a bigger issue.
Lefly likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:35 pm

The area really isn't THAT ideal for swimming (you'll see the already mentioned jellyfish warnings everywhere) BUT I could swim just fine there last year. Unless you swim for hours and swallow plenty of seawater, I don't think any pollution will really be THAT harmful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.