Search

Langkawi or Phuket for a few days?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 2:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Langkawi or Phuket for a few days?

We have caught up with work on our business and our blog after spending a few weeks in Penang so are ready for some R&R for a few days (May 14ish- May 19ish) before moving on to Bangkok and then a transition from southeast Asia to Europe.

We have narrowed the choices down to Langkawi or Phuket.

Langkawi Pros:
Cheap/Easy access from Penang
Good beaches
Quiet
Never been

Cons:
Less variety
Less variety of food
Connection to BKK

Phuket Pros:
Lots of variety
Thai food
Cheaper lodging options
Cheap/Easy access from Penang
Cheap/Easy access to Bangkok

Cons:
City vs. nature
Beaches
Been there

Any thoughts that might prove persuasive one way or the other? Anyone reading this and thinking 'they are going to kick themselves for missing Langkawi'?

Last edited by kokonutz; May 7, 2019 at 3:30 am
Old May 7, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I like Langkawi a lot, but the nice parts are pretty expensive and it sounds like you are on a budget. Phuket is a lot cheaper but also a lot more developed. At the high end really no contest, Langkawi is much nicer.
kokonutz likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
I like Langkawi a lot, but the nice parts are pretty expensive and it sounds like you are on a budget. Phuket is a lot cheaper but also a lot more developed. At the high end really no contest, Langkawi is much nicer.
There are budgets then there are BUDGETS.

We try to stay at places that cost between $50 to $100US /night. Mostly short-term rentals rather than hotels or resorts...
Old May 7, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Lol, after going back and forth we ended up deciding on Hua Hin. We'll save $$ on airfare and blow it out in a $100/night AirBnb with an amazing pool to lounge by.

Plus the nightlife and variety and we've never been.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Lol, after going back and forth we ended up deciding on Hua Hin. We'll save $$ on airfare and blow it out in a $100/night AirBnb with an amazing pool to lounge by.
Considering that hotels I've staying in Vietnam were never more expensive that $50 USD for a night for two people, breakfast including, that villa should have something... But giving you a friendly advice - lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed.
kokonutz likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Considering that hotels I've staying in Vietnam were never more expensive that $50 USD for a night for two people, breakfast including, that villa should have something... But giving you a friendly advice - lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed.
Thanks. Yeah we've read up on it and realize we're not going to be in Koh Samui or even Phuket. But we're ready for a week lounging by a nice pool reading for pleasure before transiting the US on our way to a few months in Europe, so it checks those boxes for us. And as you can imagine, the place we are staying is luxurious and in the heart of the action...and yet is still less expensive than a crap room at the Hilton or Marriott.

One thing we have learned from 4 months in SE Asia: Western hotels are for suckers!!
Old May 8, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Where can I find a top class beach like in The Maldives in Malaysia or in Thailand? How about the Philippines? Or anywhere else in either Vietnam too? I know south the Pi Pi islands are somewhat like that but it seems very busy there.
any information would be much appreciated. Not looking to pay over 100s of dollars per night though. Maldivian rates are way too expensive.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by dav662
Where can I find a top class beach like in The Maldives in Malaysia or in Thailand? How about the Philippines? Or anywhere else in either Vietnam too? I know south the Pi Pi islands are somewhat like that but it seems very busy there.
any information would be much appreciated. Not looking to pay over 100s of dollars per night though. Maldivian rates are way too expensive.
hmmmm I've never been to the Maldives but from I've seen they really unique, so comparisons might be difficult.

You might try Palawan - I've heard that has great beaches. I'm not sure when you are planning to go but I heard Philippines will head into rainy season in a couple of months. Why is that relevant. Well one, it will be wet but two, you might find it is cheaper and three, there are typically fewer people
Old May 9, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Where can I find a top class beach like in The Maldives in Malaysia or in Thailand? How about the Philippines?
Depends if you want above or below the water

Koh Lipe (easier to get there from Langkawi than it is from Thailand - 1.5 hour fast ferry ride from Langkawi although clearing immigration at Koh Lipe can be a CF) has really good beaches. Good for snorkeling and just relax around (not ideal for scuba diving). Most of Thailand's best beaches are now overcrowded save for a few (I've been looking for better beaches in Thailand too)

Pulau Layang-Layang (a pain to get to since it's in the middle of the South China Sea) is amazing for diving and really secluded. Sipadan is world famous for diving but not so much for beach activities.

If you just want a nice secluded beach, Mataking, Lankayan, Pom-Pom islands in Sabah's eastern coast (under advisory from most governments, but kidnappings are rare, more of a precaution issue since these islands have Malaysia naval stations based there) are great. All of these are one island, one resort. The area around the tip of Borneo (Kudat) is excellent (secluded beaches with village life) but typhoons passing north or the southwesterly winds can make the sea rough/turbid.

I've been to Cebu/Bohol and whilst it's not terribly overcrowded, Panglao beach near Bohol Island is not worth the trek (either involving a flight into Cebu, 45-minutes taxi ride from airport to port and 2 hour ferry to Bohol plus another 45 minute ride to Panglao). Flying into Bohol airport (in Panglao Island itself) requires a transfer at MNL which I heard is hell.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:56 pm

Thanks Nov11. It is above water. I just want a white fine sandy beach. I have done enough snorkelling to last a life time. I have been to a couple of white sandy beaches in Philippines but I would prefer somewhere else. Does Koh Lipe have those white sandy beaches? Not only the beaches but also the lagoon I should say.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Nov11. It is above water. I just want a white fine sandy beach. I have done enough snorkelling to last a life time. I have been to a couple of white sandy beaches in Philippines but I would prefer somewhere else. Does Koh Lipe have those white sandy beaches? Not only the beaches but also the lagoon I should say.
For that you should take a peek at Koh Wai, a little island near Koh Chang. In my research Wai kept coming up as a quiet, rustic little island place with great beaches and crystal clear water.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:43 am

Yes I do see some pics of Koh Wai and some pics look good too. How is Boracay? Can you compare the beach and lagoon to the Maldives?
Old May 10, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Not really a lagoon but just calm seas. Koh Adang offer finer sand than Koh Lipe but there isn't anything on Koh Adang other than one resort/camp site (most people make a day trip from Koh Lipe. IIRC it was 100THB oneway on a long tail boat taxi). If you only want a beach with fine sand, there are plenty of beaches around South East Asia that'll satisfy that criteria, just avoid Bali, Phuket, Koh Samui, Krabi if you want to avoid people.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
For that you should take a peek at Koh Wai, a little island near Koh Chang. In my research Wai kept coming up as a quiet, rustic little island place with great beaches and crystal clear water.
I thought of going to Koh Chang but it seems rather tough to get to logistically from BKK.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:20 am

I have been to Koh Chang and it is not a bad trip logistically. I flew on PG to Trat and then pre arranged a car to pick us up at the airport and take to our hotel in Koh Chang and then to pick him up on the return. Yes the car ferry ride is boring only because the darn thing is so slow. I did not get to Koh Wai. Any recommendations on a white sandy beach with fine sand and also a clear water lagoon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.