Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cambodia Postal Truck

Cambodia Postal Truck

Old May 5, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Cambodia Postal Truck

Hi, We are visiting Cambodia and need to get from Siem R to Phnom P..........looked at a few options. First the Big Bus but then seen there is an option to jump and reserve to get on the Cambodia Postal Truck. I think we might enjoy it and might be slightly faster.
Just curious if anyone has done that and can share any info......It looks like you can even reserve your seats. Secondly, we will have two large suitcases and a carry on each - just not sure how much luggage this thing can hold?

Thanks.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
If you want least problems and most comfort - get a car with driver. I guess you've never been in Cambodia and neighbouring countries, otherwise travelling between these two locations, which takes 6h on car/bus (best case) or 12h (worst case) on 'postal truck' would not come in mind, unless you have adrenaline insufficiency... Sorry for being blunt.
Goldorak and nancypants like this.

Last edited by invisible; May 6, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old May 5, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I took a mini-bus. I was assigned a seat in the very back row with almost no legroom. Felt every single bump in the road (and there were many). Worst 7 hours of my life.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Skyman65
I took a mini-bus. I was assigned a seat in the very back row with almost no legroom. Felt every single bump in the road (and there were many). Worst 7 hours of my life.
That’s better than sitting in the front seat, so you can see all the accidents you barely miss, plus the incessantly honking horn.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible
If you want least problems and most comfort - get a car with driver. I guess you've never been in Cambodia and neighbouring countries, otherwise travelling between these two locations, which takes 6h on car/bus (best case) or 12h (worst case) on 'postal truck' would not come in mind, unless you have adrenal insufficiency... Sorry for being blunt.
could not agree more. For this trip, I always fly using Cambodia Angkor Air. Short hop (45 min) and cheap. If the budget is too high for OP, definitely a driver or the regular bus service.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: most of them
there are some places to see along the way if you want..more old temples and so forth. Using a driver should allow you to see them. But if you just want to get from A to B I agree flying makes the most sense
Old May 10, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Definitely agree that a car with driver is a good idea. I did this when I was there in March. You can stop a few places along the way.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:11 am

When I did it, I flew. I have no regrets whatsoever. Our tickets were dirt cheap at about $35 and that included a drink.

I had heard reviews of that road before from some friends and didn't fancy it at all.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dlffla
Definitely agree that a car with driver is a good idea. I did this when I was there in March. You can stop a few places along the way.
How long did it take you ?
Old May 14, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Budget is not an issue whatsoever........If I can make it to Asia - I can hand over $50 for a plane ticket. I just thought it would be nice to see the countryside etc., I read that the postal truck is actually faster than the bus and not too bad comfort wise? The bus makes planned stops etc., so apparently takes slightly longer than the Postal Van.

I just thought with the hassle at the airport and such might take some time......plus I heard the flights can be hit & miss on whether they are cancelled or not or even leave on time? Maybe I was wrong. I will take a look at the flights but just thought the wife and myself would take a little ride in Cambodia! Sometimes these little trips turn out to be the best of the vacation immersing in the culture and watching life go by.

For those of you that hired a car and driver......did you just do it at the hotel or can you direct to a link that I might find helpful.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: most of them
Sadly the company that I used for lots of my trips in SEA just went out of business so I'm afraid I am not able to make a recommendation. I would probably check with the hotel or look for a local agency in SR. I did the drive with a guide and we stopped overnight in the middle which was probably somewhat unncessary, but it was a fairly nice place to spend the night with beautiful gardens (altho the room was quite basic and the power went out a couple of times). We stopped at some old temples along the way and spent some time at Sambor Prei (or Prey) Kuk which I believe was a pre-Angkor city. And also a short stop at Prasat Kuh Nokor which is an 11th century temple built by one of the big Angkor kings. We arrived at the hotel (Sambor Village Hotel) fairly early in the afternoon so it would have been quite easy to have continued on the PP instead but I wasn't in a hurry.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Bravada04
For those of you that hired a car and driver......did you just do it at the hotel or can you direct to a link that I might find helpful.
The hotel will charge you extra for this. I have used many times the services of this company and it has always been great and reliable.
http://cambodiadrivertour.com/en/home
glennaa11 likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Budget is not an issue whatsoever........If I can make it to Asia - I can hand over $50 for a plane ticket. I just thought it would be nice to see the countryside etc.
If you want to see countryside, once you get to Siem Reap, hire a tuk-tuk for a day for such reason and go on overview tour without the need to subject yourself to unnecessary misery for number of hours.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

I just finished an exhaustive search of Angkor Air and overwhelmingly negative reviews? Especially on TA........Very few positive reviews. Pictures of poor hard product; poor customer service and many reviews about overcharging excessively for baggage, numerous delays, cancellations to different flights without any notification? ... hmmm. Appreciate everyone's feedback but I might just bite the bullet and take the 5 hour ride whether it be by bus, postal van or a private driver.

The link above is only Phnom P to Sieam R.........I actually need the opposite. I am assuming this company is based out of Phnom P and only originate there.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:50 am

The flight is less than an hour. Poor hard product compared to what? Airplane will be a smoother ride compared to the bumps roads and horn honking. Bathroom will be cleaner too.
Poor customer service? Go to website, or walk up to ticket window at airport. Buy ticket. Go through security and you're done. What else do you need from customer service?

It basically comes down to...do you want to get there quickly by flying, or do you want to take the more "adventurous slow route" by vehicle? I've always taken vehicular transport because I was not in a hurry.
wolfpacktrojan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.