Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Entry to Indonesia with US Emergency Replacement Passport

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Denied Entry to Indonesia with US Emergency Replacement Passport

This actually happened on March 24th of this year but I haven’t gotten around to posting it here. My trip started IAD HKG DPS on a Cathay J award to Bali. Used Hyatt points for two full weeks at the category 1 Hyatt R Bali. Ready to flex my new Globalist status!

i land in Bali the day before Indonesian new year (Nyeppi). After 21 hours of Cathay J, I land in Bali and they said my passport was not valid to enter Indonesia. I was holding an emergency US passport, valid until December of 2019 with 2 empty pages for visas. In my ignorance - I believed since I met the 6 month and 2 page requirement I was good to travel.

My troubles started in December when I lost my US passport on a train to Jakarta, I think it fell out of my pocket after I agreed to take a motorbike to my hotel, full luggage and all- see attached pic (I originally thought he was a TAXI) after having no ID to check into my final nights hotel in Jakarta I frantically Had to request an emergency passport from the US embassy in CGK. Embassy assured me of its validity to travel and, at least figured I could travel with it until 6 months before Expiry. However after spending the holiday season back home I never mailed it in to request a full replacement passport. I returned to Indonesia 3 months later, to find out the Indonesian govt only allows you to use the emergency passport once, to exit.

How ignorant am I at this point? I ended up having issues entering Hong Kong (but after initially being denied entry - entered HK twice). I also tried entering Thailand who also were skeptical but let me in as well. Anyways after landing at DPS after all that travel customs instantly denied my entry, stamped a large “DENIED ENTRY” stamp on my passport and made Cathay fly me immediately 5 hours back to HK. In economy

Cathay flew me back to Hong Kong (I was never charged) and Indonesia fined CX $1000 for allowing me to fly in the first place. Should Indonesia have let me enter? Will I ever travel internationally with the emergency again probably not. I have entered Canada by land about 5 times now trouble free.

i ended up returning to Hong Kong, spent three nights at the Grand Hyatt and then proceeded to spend 2.5 weeks in Thailand. Absolute nightmare, I’m also lucky none of my
friends accepted the invite 😂

I say I was deported but is “Denied Entry” different? I wouldn’t know. I’ve traveled internationally probably 100 times in the last 10 years and never - ever had this happen. Curious if anybody else has similar stories

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; May 2, 2019 at 3:51 am
Old May 2, 2019, 3:48 am
Original Poster

I wish I could figure out how to upload pictures riding around on a motorcycle with my checked luggage size bag.. they’re hysterical. How you guys enjoy my trip report

https://imgur.com/a/XysPmXx

^^ got it
freQ likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I say I was deported but is “Denied Entry” different? I wouldn’t know. I’ve traveled internationally probably 100 times in the last 10 years and never - ever had this happen. Curious if anybody else has similar stories
[emp. added]

Well, there goes your ability to travel to around 50 countries without a full visa beforehand.....
Old May 2, 2019, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
[emp. added]

Well, there goes your ability to travel to around 50 countries without a full visa beforehand.....
Will that affect future travel once I receive my full replacement? For a US passport? I have to mail in the emergency and wait for the new one but I travel to Canada 3-4 times a month by land so it’s hard to give that up ... I learned my lesson though. Canada hasn’t mentioned it even once but every time I cross back to New York they ask about it. But never got secondary in the 5 times since.

indonesia had told me if I wanted to return to Bali I had to visit the Indonesia consulate in HK. That was my plan until ID consulate said it would be at least a week for the visa, so contingency at this point was Thailand for the rest of my trip, it turned out just fine. Just no Bali.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: RFC
Will that affect future travel once I receive my full replacement? For a US passport?
Won't affect getting the US passport at all, but every time you enter a country that asks if you've ever been denied entry then you will find that you suddenly start needing visas and some countries will automatically deny entry regardless.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Won't affect getting the US passport at all, but every time you enter a country that asks if you've ever been denied entry then you will find that you suddenly start needing visas and some countries will automatically deny entry regardless.
when would I even find out that I hit that snag ? When I’m filling out customs paper on the plane ?? I have trips already booked this year for Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Thailand, Hong Kong...
Old May 2, 2019, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
when would I even find out that I hit that snag ? When I’m filling out customs paper on the plane ?? I have trips already booked this year for Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Thailand, Hong Kong...
They only care whether you've ever been denied entry to their countries, not somewhere else.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
They only care whether you've ever been denied entry to their countries, not somewhere else.
After paying Indonesian alcohol price for November and December I’m in no huge rush to return anyway lol
Old May 2, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
After paying Indonesian alcohol price for November and December I’m in no huge rush to return anyway lol
Yeah, it's been like that for several years now. The cheapest quality booze is locally produced Smirnoff, if you don't like the Robinson stuff. Some Bali wines are (just about) drinkable. Beer is cheap.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I cannot speak to your passport replacing document (emergency passport), but typically documents issued on an emergency basis overseas have two conditions. The first is an expiration date and the second is upon your return to the US. Whichever is earlier. Thus, if you had a standard document, your emergency passport was invalid once you returned to the US.

At that point, you needed to obtain a permanent replacement. This can be done through the standard process at many post offices or, if you are travelling soon, through a State Department passport agency in many major cities. The latter can issue a full passport in a few hours if need be. US consulates overseas can also issue full replacement passports if there is time.

It is not surprising that you were denied entry to Indonesia and you should consider yourself lucky that CX has not yet tried to recoup either its fine or the cost of returning you after being denied entry. It is largely irrelevant whether you were denied entry or deported as that is a matter of Indonesian law and few other countries care about the distinction if there is one. They simply ask about whether you have been denied entry.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I cannot speak to your passport replacing document (emergency passport), but typically documents issued on an emergency basis overseas have two conditions. The first is an expiration date and the second is upon your return to the US. Whichever is earlier. Thus, if you had a standard document, your emergency passport was invalid once you returned to the US.

At that point, you needed to obtain a permanent replacement. This can be done through the standard process at many post offices or, if you are travelling soon, through a State Department passport agency in many major cities. The latter can issue a full passport in a few hours if need be. US consulates overseas can also issue full replacement passports if there is time.

It is not surprising that you were denied entry to Indonesia and you should consider yourself lucky that CX has not yet tried to recoup either its fine or the cost of returning you after being denied entry. It is largely irrelevant whether you were denied entry or deported as that is a matter of Indonesian law and few other countries care about the distinction if there is one. They simply ask about whether you have been denied entry.
Interesting. Sure I understand now how the emergency replacement works after using it for the last 6 months 😂

Up until the day I lost my passport, which I got in April of 2018 after my first 10yr expired I put nearly 200,000 miles on it in those 9 months, 3 round the worlds, Australia 5 different times, Asia probably twice as much. That same passport survived being pick pocketed in Madrid & being robbed in Mexico City, and my mom dying in May.

i guess I’ll just hope whoever found it returns it someday, the sentimental value is high. And they should have all my info right ?
Old May 2, 2019, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

I don’t however think CX would come back to me for payment. Indonesia made it clear for the 45 minutes I was on the ground that CX should not have let me board in Washington DC and that any blowback was on them and not the passenger. Should I have been traveling with a valid passport yes, did CX have any idea Indonesia would deny entry? Probably not. But the liability is still theirs.. I think.

I also didn’t not know of your first two stipulations but it matches what Indonesia said and I don’t doubt it. I think when I first departed Jakarta I spent 3 full days in Hong Kong with that passport, and after getting home and driving to Canada a few times without issue I no longer worried about getting the replacement so soon. I guess emergency passports are just uncommon enough nobody knows what to do with them
Old May 2, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
This is your doing, by being doggy, and you should pay them back in full.
B752 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've always understood USA emergency passports to be issued overseas for the purpose of immediate travel back to the USA. AFAIK one would just go to a passport agency for an expedited (even same day) passport if the issue is that one needs to immediately travel overseas.

IMO the OP should look carefully at what the emergency passport says regarding its validity as well as read any information that came with the emergency passport. Then examine TIMATIC for the countries involved and possibly check their consulate websites regarding entry requirements. Perhaps some countries accept travel on emergency passports while others do not, or there could be some single entry on an emergency passport rule if the intention is to accept the emergency passport only for transit on an initial trip back to the USA.

I would guess that countries that pre-authorize entry (for instance, electronically) wouldn't pose a lot of risk for being denied entry upon arrival on a regular replacement passport. For other countries, in many cases you can find images of their entry forms on the internet, although the version you find might not be current. It would be extremely rare for most third countries to question at passport control whether one was ever denied entry somewhere unless there were grounds for suspicion, although an Indonesian visa is probably required for future travel there.
B752 and Collierkr like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
This is your doing, by being doggy, and you should pay them back in full.
I mean I won’t initiate that conversation but if they ever asked I would consider paying for the DPS HKG economy leg they flew me on. But being two months later would it come back to me at this point, I don’t think so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.