Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hanoi, Nha Trang and where else?

Hanoi, Nha Trang and where else?

Old Apr 15, 19, 9:55 am

Programs: TK Elite
I was in Da lat and Nha Trang two weeks ago. Although the distance is short (in kilometers rather than traveling time) there is world of difference. In Nha Trang there are Russian and Chinese tourist everywhere! (almost every sign is in Russian) - I will be polite and refrain from commenting on Russian and Chinese tourist. It was soaring hot in Nha Trang but of course the beach provided some relief. Parts of Nha Trang turns into a party zone at night with several beach clubs - I was at Sailing Club which was a great venue with Dj etc (I had a great night).

Da lat on the other hand is in the mountains (around 1,500 meter) is which cooler and very pleasant. Da lat city is quite charming (but very quiet compared to Nha Trang) and easy to get around (I rented a motorbike) . To put it in short: I thoroughly enjoyed Da lat whereas I regret I spent 2 nights in Nha Trang.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:17 am

Thanks for the info , I am not a partying type of guy , but also get bored just sitting around ,
Do any of these smaller towns have an older district with shop houses and older buildings ?
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:26 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
Thanks for the info , I am not a partying type of guy , but also get bored just sitting around ,
Do any of these smaller towns have an older district with shop houses and older buildings ?
There's a fair bit to see in Dalat. The summer palace of the last emperor of Vietnam is very interesting to tour. You can take an old train on an hour's ride to see a small temple. There is a coffee plantation tour. We stayed at Ana Mandara Dalat with its 16 villas (thereabouts) built by the French for summer getaways. It has a 1930 convertible that we used (with their driver) for a city tour. Here's a website for a company offering city tours. I don't know the company but if you poke around at it, you'll see a range of activities.
Old Apr 16, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: TK Elite
In Da lat you find a number of older French/European style buildings - and the large catholic cathedral in the city center. The former train station is also worth a visit - from the station there are daily train rides in old carriages (and with steam locomotive?- I'm not sure). Inquire about the departure time as it will only depart if there sufficient paying customers (I got there for the 12AM/noon departure but it was cancelled; next train ride was at 2PM)
Old May 12, 19, 6:39 am
Suspended

You shoud stay in Hanoi 2- 3 nights ( depend on when you come to Hanoi )
Dalat is a beautiful place in Vietnam. But from June to August, It is rainy season Dalat. Shoudn't go to Dalat in this time.
Old May 20, 19, 3:08 am

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->You should spend 3 days in Hanoi and 2 days 1 night in Halong Bay or Ninh Binh. Taking a cruise in Halong Bay is the most interesting part of the trip for sure. However, Halong is kind of touristy. If it's a drawback to you, choose Ninh Binh. Tam Coc, Trang An are worth the try. You can have many local tips at here
Also, this post can help you: 13 nights trip to Vietnam

Last edited by emilyuy; May 20, 19 at 3:09 am Reason: Grammar
Old May 20, 19, 12:00 pm

I can't believe how much I disagree with posters on this site.

Hanoi is a city that I absolutely love. It's stunningly beautiful and there is so much there to see, do, eat etc. I could just spend ages there. Combined with Ha Long Bay, I would say that 4/5 nights in Hanoi with one in Ha Long would be perfect to see the highlights. But then, I am one who prefers big cities, hustle and bustle, culture and history over beaches and relaxing.
I much preferred Hanoi to HCMC too.

I've not been to much of Vietnam otherwise, so I can't comment on Nha Trang (only heard bad comments from friends and colleagues that it's overrun with package tourists from Russia) or Da Lat.

Otherwise, domestic flights in Vietnam are dirt cheap - so don't worry too much about flying around.
Old May 21, 19, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream View Post
I can't believe how much I disagree with posters on this site.

Hanoi is a city that I absolutely love. It's stunningly beautiful and there is so much there to see, do, eat etc. I could just spend ages there. Combined with Ha Long Bay, I would say that 4/5 nights in Hanoi with one in Ha Long would be perfect to see the highlights. But then, I am one who prefers big cities, hustle and bustle, culture and history over beaches and relaxing.
I much preferred Hanoi to HCMC too.
I assume you've been to Hanoi several times. I've been there twice and I find it tolerable, but both times I stayed in the old city (where the tourists are). Is there a certain part of the city that you prefer to spend your time?
Old May 21, 19, 9:30 am

I've only stayed in two different parts. Around the old town where most of the tourists are and the west lake.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was disagreeing with the posters above who said two days was enough. It's a lovely city and there's so much to see and explore all over.

I especially like the west lake area with its lovely bars and restaurants and cool vibe, Ba Dinh (I had to Google this name) around the HCM mausoleum which is lovely and quiet but still with lots to do, and, of course, the old town area - especially the side streets of the main streets as there's a hidden gem around every corner.
Old May 22, 19, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream View Post
I've only stayed in two different parts. Around the old town where most of the tourists are and the west lake.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was disagreeing with the posters above who said two days was enough. It's a lovely city and there's so much to see and explore all over.

I especially like the west lake area with its lovely bars and restaurants and cool vibe, Ba Dinh (I had to Google this name) around the HCM mausoleum which is lovely and quiet but still with lots to do, and, of course, the old town area - especially the side streets of the main streets as there's a hidden gem around every corner.
I had to google west lake. I've never heard Ty Hồ called that before.

I agree with the other posters. 2 nights is enough. I don't think Hanoi is that interesting compared to other places. I'm just able to tolerate it. But there are a few of you on this forum that really like it, and that's fine. Maybe it's good the mixed reviews can lower people's expectations so they can be pleasantly surprised.
Old May 23, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: *G
Casting another vote against Hanoi. I've done 2 separate N-S trips through the country, as well as other occasional stops in HCMC. I prefer Dalat and Hue as more tolerable, more enjoyable compromise between hectic busy big city and small quiet towns.
That hustle and bustle vibe you can get in HCMC, Bangkok, Jakarta, KL, any other SEA capital....
Old May 23, 19, 11:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in COROLLA, NORTH CAROLINA
Originally Posted by deniah View Post
Casting another vote against Hanoi. I've done 2 separate N-S trips through the country, as well as other occasional stops in HCMC. I prefer Dalat and Hue as more tolerable, more enjoyable compromise between hectic busy big city and small quiet towns.
That hustle and bustle vibe you can get in HCMC, Bangkok, Jakarta, KL, any other SEA capital....
And without the infernal scooter horns constantly blaring!
Old May 27, 19, 2:55 am
Suspended

Wow. Useful information !

Search this Thread