Itinerary guide help - Choosing between Luang Prabang or Penang

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat

Hi Guys,

I'm starting my next adventure Itinerary but I think this one is going to be difficult.

The main part of this trip I will be going to Langkawi Malaysia for 5 days, but I want to start off in either Luang Prabang Laos or Penang Malaysia for 3 days.

Getting to Penang is fairly easy from Australia (even on points), then its easy to cross the ocean on a boat to Langkawi. Then back to Australia through Kuala Lumpur, but when I was looking at both islands it looks like you will be doing mostly the same activities like going to the top of the islands for the look outs over the island.

So now i'm thinking of going to Luang Prabang to see the Kuang Si waterfall and the town (i have already been to Vientiane so not interested in going there) , but getting there is becoming difficult and flying back to Langkawi even more difficult.

I would have to fly via BKK to get there and as my GF lives in SGN I would have to fly her via HAN, coming back it looks like we have to have 2 stop overs at BKK and KL.

Does anyone have any suggestions on better routing options I can make and what would be the better option to go to, LPQ or PEN?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:07 am

Why not route through Singapore to go to Luang Prabang?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Why not route through Singapore to go to Luang Prabang?
Yeah i can go through BKK or Singapore, I realised that after I wrote the last comment. But with Singapore it will have to be with Scoot as they are the only direct flight, Silk air has been replaced with Scoot. Only issue there is paying for the extra baggage. With BKK as a stop over I have just found out that you can redeem Asia miles on Bangkok airways, So that might work better.

The big issue is getting back to Langkawi
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:04 am

I'm really confused on your routing / plan. Have you purchased any flights yet? Is there a certain order you are hoping to accomplish? Which cities will your gf be joining you in?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I was really quite disappointed with Penang (they do have nice beaches), but Luang Prabang is not to be missed!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

I'm really confused on your routing / plan. Have you purchased any flights yet? Is there a certain order you are hoping to accomplish? Which cities will your gf be joining you in?
Ok, no I haven't purchased any flights yet, just trying to work out which will be the better connections.

So i'm flying from SYD - LPQ (it looks like it now) via BKK or SIN, i think BKK has a better connection with more flights. Then LPQ - LGK (I need help with routing this as it looks like only through BKK and KUL for only options). Then LGK - SYD via KUL/HKG/SIN.

My gf will be flying from SGN - LPQ. then LPQ - LGK, then LGK - SGN

I will be trying to cover most of the flights with points from Qantas, Life miles, Krisflyer or Asia miles. my gf's i think i'll have to buy outright on VN
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I was really quite disappointed with Penang (they do have nice beaches), but Luang Prabang is not to be missed!
What made you disappointed?

I always wanted to go there and I thought it would of been good to visit first then go to Langkawi, but it looks like you do the same sort of activities like Langkawi.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Rusell
So i'm flying from SYD - LPQ (it looks like it now) via BKK or SIN, i think BKK has a better connection with more flights. Then LPQ - LGK (I need help with routing this as it looks like only through BKK and KUL for only options). Then LGK - SYD via KUL/HKG/SIN.

I will be trying to cover most of the flights with points from ...
If you're using points for the flights, then you might want to disregard the connections. The connections don't really matter, the limiting factor will be award availability. Book your SYD-LPQ award flight and your LGK-SYD award flight. For your LPQ-LGK flight, it's probably easiest just to purchase that ticket with cash. And probably easiest just to pay cash for your gf's flights. The intra-Asia flights shouldn't be too bad, but LPQ isn't the cheapest place to fly into/out of.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:09 am

Also Luang Prabang will have a direct train link to China in a few years, so it might be better to go there first before it's overrun with tourists. (Some would say it's already overrun, but it will be worse when the train is operational)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

If you're using points for the flights, then you might want to disregard the connections. The connections don't really matter, the limiting factor will be award availability. Book your SYD-LPQ award flight and your LGK-SYD award flight. For your LPQ-LGK flight, it's probably easiest just to purchase that ticket with cash. And probably easiest just to pay cash for your gf's flights. The intra-Asia flights shouldn't be too bad, but LPQ isn't the cheapest place to fly into/out of.
Do you know of a better route I can use for LPQ-LGK as the best route looks like going through BKK and KUL as 2 stopovers and wastes a whole day in doing that weather booking on cash or even points.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by rusell
do you know of a better route i can use for lpq-lgk as the best route looks like going through bkk and kul as 2 stopovers and wastes a whole day in doing that weather booking on cash or even points.
I've never flown into Sultan Abdul Halim, but it's close and there's a ferry to the island.
LPQ->SIN->LGK
LPQ->SIN->AOR
LPQ->DMK->AOR
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by Rusell
What made you disappointed?
Georgetown was very disappointing; seems like half the town was closed. I was just sorry I went to Penang instead of Malacca. Honestly, the only place in Malaysia that was really interesting for me was Kuching (on Borneo). I must say Georgetown has excellent public transportation, but overall just no comparison to Luang Prabang or Dalat (Vietnam).
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

I've never flown into Sultan Abdul Halim, but it's close and there's a ferry to the island.
LPQ->SIN->LGK
LPQ->SIN->AOR
LPQ->DMK->AOR
Previously the LPQ - SIN route was serviced by Silk Air which will be no longer in May. Since i'm going on the 28th May which is a Tuesday and there is limited flights of any airline out leaving on a Tuesday. If i move my plans back a day and leave on the Monday that route is now been taken over by Scoot which flies via VTE to SIN. This is ok but doesn't get into SIN until 6pm, so if I wanted a direct flight out to LGK I would still have to stay overnight and leave on Air Asia in the morning. This will be the back up plan.

The LPQ->SIN->AOR route you will still need to stop in KUL for the night so its actually a longer route and if I tried to get there using this route VTE-BKK-KUL-AOR it will get me in at 830pm and I still would have to stay overnight to catch the ferry the next day and there doesn't look to be much of anything to do at night in AOR.

I still think this route LPQ-BKK-KUL-LGK is still better even though I will be having a 12 hr layover in KUL overnight, at least we can go out and explore the city at night. I can also leave on the Mon or Tues. It just puts an extra day on my trip as I wanted to spend 5 nights in Langkawi, not 4 so i will have to change my plans now.

Last edited by Rusell; Mar 15, 2019 at 10:09 pm Reason: adding
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
I found Penang dull as dishwater, despite generally liking most places in SE Asia. Never been to LP but it’s got to be better than Penang
Rusell likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Also Luang Prabang will have a direct train link to China in a few years, so it might be better to go there first before it's overrun with tourists. (Some would say it's already overrun, but it will be worse when the train is operational)
OMG
This will be a disaster indeed. Better to go there fast...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.