Best luxury beach resort in Southeast Asia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best luxury beach resort in Southeast Asia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:19 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Then Amanpuri moved in, sweeping away the gorgeous palm grove at the end of the beach. .
Haven't the trees grown back? Obviously there is construction around it but the whole place is quite lush - as seen from the end of the Surin side or from aerially.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Haven't the trees grown back? Obviously there is construction around it but the whole place is quite lush - as seen from the end of the Surin side or from aerially.
Yes, it's certainly lush but before the hotel the entire hillside was just palm trees everywhere without a single building. Here it is in 1985 -

FlyerEC and nmuva98 like this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
The thing with both Amanoi and Amanpulo is simply that they are quite far from SIN. No, not terribly far away, but we'll be flying from ARN, so we will already have quite some time on the plane.
We then have 10 days on the ground in total, and I want at least 3-4 nights in SIN/KUL, leaving only 6-7 nights for something else. And then Amanpulo/Amanoi simply is quite far. I think it's better to go there on different trips.
I am not sure where ARN is but the flight to Nha Trang from Singapore is not too bad if you get a good connection in HCMC. And Amanoi is a truly special place.

Just give me the Conrad Koh Samui with a better beach and I'll be happy.
Conrad Koh Samui is in my view a pretty luxurious property - but that is really rare for large chains such as Conrad which I would say according to the consensus in this forum are not generally really "luxury properties". Conrad is still sort of a glorified Hilton in most cases. As you know, the Conrad Koh Samui architecture and views from the rooms are pretty incredible. But that is a bit of an anomaly in the Conrad portfolio and if that has set your expectation for other Conrad level properties (with similar prices) then I think you are setting yourself up to be quite disappointed.

I’ve heard that Khao Lak beaches are better, but it seems like there’s almost nothing to do around the resorts? I’m also not sure if they have any good hotels there, it seems like the place isn’t that developed yet.
It's been 3-4 years since I have been there but I did not think much of the beaches or resorts in Khao Lak.

Any comments on the Andaman/Datai? My father recently stayed in both Phuket, Krabi, Khao Lak and the Andaman (Langkawi) and he said the beach at the Andaman was much better than all the other beaches. He’s not a luxury traveler, so I wouldn’t put much weight into how we perceives hotels, but for a beach I’d trust him.
We’ll go to Langkawi because it simply works out best for our purposes since there are direct flights to both SIN and KUL. I have heard only good things about the Andaman/Datai beach (in contrast to other Langkawi beaches).
I think we’re going to stay at the Andaman next door. Not as lux as the Datai, but great status recognition from what I’ve heard and much cheaper.
In my view there are two Langkawis - the one perfect unspoilt Langkawi carefully nestled into a beautiful private beach backed up by 10 million year rainforest in Datai Bay (where the Datai and the Andaman are), and the overtouristed Lankawi (everywhere else, including the FS with its views of the concrete factory). I would not go to the overtouristed Langkawi any day, but I would go back to the Datai Bay Langkawi any day.

Although both the Datai and the Andaman are owned by the same owner and share the beach, I wouldn't have to think for more than 0.5 of a second to choose the Datai over the Andaman - for the Datai's iconic Kerry Hill architecture and discreet jungle vibe. If you're interested in the Andaman and status benefits or booking on points or whatever I think you're probably missing the point of this forum a bit and you'd probably get more relevant answers on the SPG forum.

Personally I have now given up on SE Asia for any sort of beach experience and I'm just grateful that I saw it at its best (though I do rather hanker after Amanoi). Take that beach for instance on Ko Phi Phi, the one made famous by the DiCaprio movie, we had it just to ourselves. Tourist numbers in the region have reached swarm of locust proportions and hotel development is out of control.
Just because massive overdevelopment is occurring in the hyper-touristic parts of Thailand, I don't think that calls for writing off all of SE Asia for any sort of beach experience.

Last edited by ajca; Mar 12, 2019 at 8:15 am Reason: Extra quote typo
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by ajca
Conrad Koh Samui is in my view a pretty luxurious property - but that is really rare for large chains such as Conrad which I would say according to the consensus in this forum are not generally really "luxury properties". Conrad is still sort of a glorified Hilton in most cases. As you know, the Conrad Koh Samui architecture and views from the rooms are pretty incredible. But that is a bit of an anomaly in the Conrad portfolio and if that has set your expectation for other Conrad level properties (with similar prices) then I think you are setting yourself up to be quite disappointed.
No worries, I don't usually stay there. Conrad Maldives looks nice enough.

In my view there are two Langkawis - the one perfect unspoilt Langkawi carefully nestled into a beautiful private beach backed up by 10 million year rainforest in Datai Bay (where the Datai and the Andaman are), and the overtouristed Lankawi (everywhere else, including the FS with its views of the concrete factory). I would not go to the overtouristed Langkawi any day, but I would go back to the Datai Bay Langkawi any day.
The St. Regis was very nice. The beach sucked, but we had some wonderful evenings at their beach restaurant.

Although both the Datai and the Andaman are owned by the same owner and share the beach, I wouldn't have to think for more than 0.5 of a second to choose the Datai over the Andaman - for the Datai's iconic Kerry Hill architecture and discreet jungle vibe. If you're interested in the Andaman and status benefits or booking on points or whatever I think you're probably missing the point of this forum a bit and you'd probably get more relevant answers on the SPG forum.
No doubt. But the Datai is now 4x the price of the Andaman and as I care mostly about the beach, it's just not worth the premium for me. I originally asked the same question in the Asia forum, but I didn't get a lot of usable answers there.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:50 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Have you tried Ngapali? Would be interested to know if it meets your standards. Some colleagues of mine went there last year, and raved about its fine powdery sand and the relative tranquility of the area. No luxury hotel (yet), but supposedly very unspoiled (for now.)

Personally I have now given up on SE Asia for any sort of beach experience and I'm just grateful that I saw it at its best (though I do rather hanker after Amanoi). Take that beach for instance on Ko Phi Phi, the one made famous by the DiCaprio movie, we had it just to ourselves. Tourist numbers in the region have reached swarm of locust proportions and hotel development is out of control.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is really below the level that qualifies for luxury hotels and appears to be trending even further in that direction. So I am going to move it to the Asia forum where it could get a better response.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.