Hotel Buffets in Jakarta and Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Buffets in Jakarta and Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've been incapacitated mid-trip by food poisoning, no idea what it was from and I'm sensible enough not to point fingers: but it made me cautious. Not crazy cautious, i just attempt to minimise risk.
Where did this happen? I heard of a couple of cases of food poisoning in Singapore, but never at buffets.
Which restaurant did it happen at so we can look to avoid it.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Where did this happen? I heard of a couple of cases of food poisoning in Singapore, but never at buffets.
Which restaurant did it happen at so we can look to avoid it.
without a forensic investigation it's virtually impossible to identify the source of food poisoning. People don't stagger out of buffets, or wherever is the site of infection, clutching their bellies: they might, but it's unlikely. The wobbles start later.

My illness was in KL and a hotel breakfast was in the time frame the medic gave me, but so were other places as well as the old favourite, cleaning teeth with tap water.

Whatever the cause and the source, I've remained exceedingly careful. Rather like someone who has gone years unperturbed by rush-hour metro rides, but finally gets pick-pocketed and then turns into the most vigilant street-wise citizen.

And now i notice things. Right now I'm in Bangkok and just back from breakfast in a top hotel. The handle of the cutlery used to transfer smoked salmon from serving dish to plate had been carelessly placed, touching the salmon: the handle thus becomes a potential direct vector in transmitting nasties from guests fingers to the food. Glass containers of milk for cereal are kept in ice buckets alongside an array of uncovered food: it's likely that water from the ice bucket will drip onto food as it is lifted to pour onto cereal. I'll feel a bit of a nerd, but I'll point this out to the F&B man later.

These observation don't so much represent dangers in themselves as signs of generalised carelessness.

I get that these things might not trouble many. But moving food from a controlled and (we trust) a tightly-regulated kitchen to an open, public environment has to increase the risk of contamination from pathogens. And, once bitten, I simply prefer to avoid the risk.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:29 pm

without a forensic investigation it's virtually impossible to identify the source of food poisoning. People don't stagger out of buffets, or wherever is the site of infection, clutching their bellies: they might, but it's unlikely. The wobbles start later.

My illness was in KL and a hotel breakfast was in the time frame the medic gave me, but so were other places as well as the old favourite, cleaning teeth with tap water.

Whatever the cause and the source, I've remained exceedingly careful. Rather like someone who has gone years unperturbed by rush-hour metro rides, but finally gets pick-pocketed and then turns into the most vigilant street-wise citizen.

And now i notice things. Right now I'm in Bangkok and just back from breakfast in a top hotel. The handle of the cutlery used to transfer smoked salmon from serving dish to plate had been carelessly placed, touching the salmon: the handle thus becomes a potential direct vector in transmitting nasties from guests fingers to the food. Glass containers of milk for cereal are kept in ice buckets alongside an array of uncovered food: it's likely that water from the ice bucket will drip onto food as it is lifted to pour onto cereal. I'll feel a bit of a nerd, but I'll point this out to the F&B man later.

These observation don't so much represent dangers in themselves as signs of generalised carelessness.

I get that these things might not trouble many. But moving food from a controlled and (we trust) a tightly-regulated kitchen to an open, public environment has to increase the risk of contamination from pathogens. And, once bitten, I simply prefer to avoid the risk.
Ah ok ... so your response is not specific to the thread that is discussing Jakarta and Singapore.

I often visit these locations so wanted to identify places in these two countries that people had personal experiences with.

My own KL experience was a poor one --- I spent a week there, and traveled to Penang afterwards. The evening that I landed in Penang I had the worst stomach upsets ever .. I didn't eat in Penang so it must have been something I ate in KL. The finger of suspicion points to the chicken burger at KLIA.....
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah ok ... so your response is not specific to the thread that is discussing Jakarta and Singapore.

The simple thesis is that however hygienic and well controlled food production might be, wherever the venue is located, there is significant additional risk created in laying out food where it is exposed to a largely uncontrolled environment, where it can be handled, coughed over and touched by the public. The venue, the meal and the geographic location are immaterial. It's the buffet-style presentation of food that is in question.

I no longer have appetite for that type of risk. Others might recognise it but accept it, and some simply ignore it. Fair enough.

But to discount it on the basis that food production in Singapore and Jakarta () is tightly controlled, that kitchens in those places are as antiseptically clean as operating theatres, seems to miss the point. Which is, again: buffet presentation creates multiple pathways to adulterate food between its exit from the kitchen and delivery to your mouth.

So my response is specific to buffet dining. Not to location. I am not bashing Singapore, or for that matter, Jakarta. Nor am I singling out Malaysia or Thailand for criticism: it just happens i was caught out in the former and find my self today in buffet-land in the latter. I have little interest in Singapore, but spend a lot of time between Jakarta and Bandung, and probably eat unwisely in both places .... even though I do keep away from buffets
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:25 am

The simple thesis is that however hygienic and well controlled food production might be, wherever the venue is located, there is significant additional risk created in laying out food where it is exposed to a largely uncontrolled environment, where it can be handled, coughed over and touched by the public. The venue, the meal and the geographic location are immaterial. It's the buffet-style presentation of food that is in question.

I no longer have appetite for that type of risk. Others might recognise it but accept it, and some simply ignore it. Fair enough.

But to discount it on the basis that food production in Singapore and Jakarta () is tightly controlled, that kitchens in those places are as antiseptically clean as operating theatres, seems to miss the point. Which is, again: buffet presentation creates multiple pathways to adulterate food between its exit from the kitchen and delivery to your mouth.

So my response is specific to buffet dining. Not to location. I am not bashing Singapore, or for that matter, Jakarta. Nor am I singling out Malaysia or Thailand for criticism: it just happens i was caught out in the former and find my self today in buffet-land in the latter. I have little interest in Singapore, but spend a lot of time between Jakarta and Bandung, and probably eat unwisely in both places .... even though I do keep away from buffets
An interesting, if slightly academic (read: pointless) question; what do you think the risk of eating something at the side of the road versus at a buffet?
I eat at the roadside koptiams in Malaysia a lot, but never the roadside food in Thailand.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting, if slightly academic (read: pointless) question; what do you think the risk of eating something at the side of the road versus at a buffet?
I eat at the roadside koptiams in Malaysia a lot, but never the roadside food in Thailand.
I have a sort of rule that street food of any sort is fine where what I'm eating is cooked in front of me. Hunger, greed and convenience probably lead me to break that rule at times

On reflection I'd guess that logic leads me to believe that freshly prepared road-side food served directly from the grill poses a level of risk below that of food left exposed to the environment, sneezes and fingers.

I don't want to come across as a loon with a crusade against buffets. It's just that I recognise they hold a level of risk. Yet I know I will grab some pad thai from the food offered in the hotel lounge this evening: if forced, I will rationalise some coherent explanation for this....
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: most of them
After having been subjected to too many tourist buffet restaurants in Indonesia I can't understand why anyone would seek them out on purpose. With that sort of budget you can eat like a king at a regular restaurant.

The only buffets I don't mind are the breakfast kind.

I don't know that it matters what country you are in. Food poisoning can happen anywhere. The worst I ever had it was in Taiwan with food from lunch at the restaurant of a 4 star hotel in Taroko. But I do agree that buffets have a certain level of risk due to the difficulty in maintaining the food at the proper temperature over a period of time.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by glennaa11
After having been subjected to too many tourist buffet restaurants in Indonesia I can't understand why anyone would seek them out on purpose. With that sort of budget you can eat like a king at a regular restaurant.

The only buffets I don't mind are the breakfast kind.

I don't know that it matters what country you are in. Food poisoning can happen anywhere. The worst I ever had it was in Taiwan with food from lunch at the restaurant of a 4 star hotel in Taroko. But I do agree that buffets have a certain level of risk due to the difficulty in maintaining the food at the proper temperature over a period of time.
Well, admittedly, you can feast like a king with that sort of budget at Buffets as well. A (former) personal favourite of mine is the Champagne and Lobster Brunch at the Keraton hotel. It was really quite lovely, though I haven't been back in a year... heard the standards slipped a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.